Holomorphic Flows on Simply Connected Regions Have No Limit Cycles
- Kevin A. Broughan
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The dynamical system or flow ż = f(z), where f is holomorphic on C, is considered. The behavior of the flow at critical points coincides with the behavior of the linearization when the critical points are non-degenerate: there is no center-focus dichotomy. Periodic orbits about a center have the same period and form an open subset. The flow has no limit cycles in simply connected regions. The advance mapping is holomorphic where the flow is complete. The structure of the separatrices bounding the orbits surrounding a center is determined. Some examples are given including the following: if a quartic polynomial system has four distinct centers, then they are collinear.
- Anosov, D.V., Aranson, S.Kh., Arnold, V.I., Bronshtein, I.U., Grines, V.Z. and Il'yashenko, Yu.S., Ordinary Differential Equations and Smooth Dynamical Systems, Springer, 1998.
- Benzinger, H., 'Plane autonomous systems with rational vector fields', Trans. Am. Math. Soc. 326 (1991) 465-484.
- Benzinger, H., 'Julia sets and differential equations', Proc. Am. Math. Soc. 117 (1993) 939-946.
- Jongen, H.Th., Jonker, P. and Twilt, F., 'The continuous Newton-method for meromorphic functions', in: Proceedings of the Conference on Geometrical Approaches to Differential Equations, Schevanlingen, Springer-Verlag, 1979, Lecture Notes in Mathematics 810, 1980, pp 181-239.
- Jongen, H.Th., Jonker, P. and Twilt, F., 'The continuous desingularized Newton method for meromorphic functions', Acta Appl. Math. 13 (1988) 81-121.
- Lloyd, N.G., 'On the number of periodic solutions of the equation ż = z N + p1(t)z N−1 +... + PN(t)', Proc. Lond. Math. Soc. 27(3) (1973) 667-700.
- Lloyd, N.G., 'An analytic differential equation', Proc. Lond. Math. Soc. 30(3) (1975) 430-444.
- Needham, T., Visual Complex Analysis, OUP, Oxford, 1997.
- Perko, L., Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems, 2nd edn, Springer, 1996.
- Holomorphic Flows on Simply Connected Regions Have No Limit Cycles
Volume 38, Issue 6 , pp 699-709
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Dynamical system
- Phase portrait
- Critical point
- Theoretical dynamics
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, University of Waikato, Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand