Perfectionism and Suicide Ideation in Adolescent Psychiatric Patients
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study was conducted to examine the relations between dimensions of perfectionism and suicide ideation in an adolescent psychiatric sample. A sample of 66 adolescents from an inpatient psychiatric facility completed the Child and Adolescent Perfectionism Scale, the Child's Hopelessness Scale, and the Suicide Ideation Questionnaire. Overall, the results indicated that socially prescribed perfectionism was associated with greater suicide ideation and that it, along with hopelessness, accounted for unique variance in suicide ideation scores. The findings are discussed in terms of their practical and theoretical significance as well as their consistency with similar research with adults.
- Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration. (1989). Report of the secretary's task force on youth suicide (DHHS Publication No. ADM 89-1621). Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Asarnow, J., Carlson, G. A., & Guthrie, D. (1987). Coping strategies, self-perceptions, hopelessness, and perceived family environments in depressed and suicidal children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 55, 361–366.
- Baumeister, R. (1990). Suicide as escape from self. Psychological Review, 97, 90–113.
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A., Kovacs, M., & Garrison, B. (1985). Hopelessness and eventual suicide: A 10-year prospective study of patients hospitalized with suicidal ideation. American Journal of Psychiatry, 142, 559–563.
- Bedrosian, R. C., & Beck, A. T. (1979). Cognitive aspects of suicidal behavior. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 9, 87–96.
- Berman, A. L., & Jobes, D. A. (1991). Adolescent suicide: Assessment and intervention. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Berndt, T. J. (1979). Development changes in conformity to peers and parents. Developmental Psychology, 15, 608–616.
- Blatt, S. (1995). The destructiveness of perfectionism: Implications for the treatment of depression. American Psychologist, 50, 1003–1020.
- Blatt, S. & Zuroff, D. (1992). Interpersonal relatedness and self-definition: Two prototypes for depression. Clinical Psychology Review, 12, 527–562.
- Brent, D. A. (1987). Correlates of medical lethality of suicide attempts in children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 26, 87–89.
- Brent, D. A., Perper, J. A., & Goldstein, C. E., et al. (1988). Risk factors for adolescent suicide. Archives of General Psychiatry, 45, 581–588.
- Cole, D. A. (1989). Psychopathology of adolescent suicide: Hopelessness, coping beliefs, and depression. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 98, 248–255.
- Delisle, J. R. (1990). The gifted adolescent at risk: Strategies and resources for suicide prevention among gifted youth. Journal of Education of the Gifted, 13, 212–228.
- Flett, G. L., & Hewitt, P. L. (1997). Social hopelessness and adjustment. Unpublished manuscript.
- Flett, G. L., Hewitt, P. L., Blankstein, K. R., & Koledin, S. (1991). Dimensions of perfectionism and irrational thinking. Journal of Rational-Emotive and Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, 9, 185–201.
- Flett, G. L., Hewitt, P. L., Boucher, D. J., Davidson, L. A., & Munro, Y. (1997). The Child-Adolescent Perfectionism Scale: Development, validation, and association with adjustment. Unpublished manuscript.
- Frost, R., Marten, P., Lahart, C., & Rosenblate, R. (1990). The dimensions of perfectionism. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 14, 449–468.
- Goldsmith, S. J., Fyer, M., & Frances, A. (1990). Personality and suicide. In S. J. Blumenthal & D. J. Kupfer (Eds.), Suicide over the life cycle (pp. 155–176). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.
- Harter, S., Marold, D. B., & Whitesell, N. R. (1992). Model of psychosocial risk factors leading to suicidal ideation in young adolescents. Developmental Psychopathology, 4, 167–188.
- Hayes, R. L., & Sloat, R. S. (1989). Gifted students at risk for suicide. Roeper Review, 12, 102–107.
- Hewitt, P. L., & Flett, G. L. (1989). The Multidimensional Perfectionism Scale: Development and validation. Canadian Psychology, 30, 339. (Abstract)
- Hewitt, P. L., & Flett, G. L. (1990). Dimensions of perfectionism and depression: A multidimensional analysis. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 5, 423–438.
- Hewitt, P. L., & Flett, G. L. (1991a). Dimensions of perfectionism in unipolar depression. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 100, 98–101.
- Hewitt, P. L., & Flett, G. L. (1991b). Perfectionism in the self and social contexts: Conceptualization, assessment, and association with psychopathology. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 60, 456–470.
- Hewitt, P. L., & Flett, G. L. (1993a). Dimensions of perfectionism, daily stress, and depression: A test of the specific vulnerability hypothesis. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 102, 58–65.
- Hewitt, P. L., & Flett, G. L. (1993b). Perfectionism and goal orientation in impulsive and suicidal behavior. In W. G. McCown, J. L. Johnson & M. S. Shure (Eds.), The impulsive client (pp. 247–264). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Hewitt, P. L., Flett, G. L., & Ediger, E. (1996). Perfectionism and depression: Longitudinal assessment of a specific vulnerability hypothesis. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 105, 276–280.
- Hewitt, P. L., Flett, G. L., Fehr, B., Habke, M., & Fairlie, P. (1996). Self-presentation and maladjustment: Presenting the perfect self. Unpublished manuscript.
- Hewitt, P. L., Flett, G. L., & Turnbull, W. (1994). Borderline personality disorder: An investigation with the Multidimensional Perfectionism Scale. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 10, 28–33.
- Hewitt, P. L., Flett, G. L., & Turnbull-Donovan, W. (1992). Perfectionism and suicide potential. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 31, 181–190.
- Hewitt, P. L., Flett, G. L., & Weber, C. (1994). Perfectionism and suicide ideation. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 18, 461–478.
- Hewitt, P. L., Mittelstaedt, W., & Wollert, R. (1989). Validation of a measure of perfectionism. Journal of Personality Assessment, 53, 133–144.
- Holinger P., & Offer, D. (1981). Perspectives of suicide in adolescence. In R. Simmons (Ed.), Research in community and mental health (Vol. 2, pp. 139–157). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- Kazdin, A., French, N., Unis, A., & Esveldt-Dawson, K. (1983). Hopelessness, depression, and suicidal intent among psychiatrically disturbed in-patient children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 51, 501–510.
- Kazdin, A., Rodgers, A., Colbus, D. (1986). The Hopelessness Scale for Children: Psychometric characteristics and concurrent validity. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 54, 241–245.
- Mack, J. (1986). Adolescent suicide: An architectural model. In G. Klerman (Ed), Suicide and depression among adolescents and young adults (pp. 53–76). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.
- Maltsberger, J. T., (1986). Suicide risk. New York: New York Universities Press.
- Marks, P. A., & Haller, D. L. (1977). Now I lay me down for keeps: A study of adolescent suicide attempts. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 47, 390–399.
- National Center for Health Statistics. (1968–1991). Vital statistics of the United States: Vol 2. Mortality—Part A [For the years 1966–1988]. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Ranieri, W. F., Steer, R. A., Lavrence, T. I., Rissmiller, D. J., Piper, G. E., & Beck, A. T. (1987). Relationships of depression, hopelessness, and dysfunctional attitudes to suicide ideation in psychiatric patients. Psychological Reports, 61, 967–975.
- Reynolds, W.M. (1988). SIQ: Suicide Ideation Questionnaire. Odessa: PAR.
- Rubinstein, J. L., Heeren, T., Housman, D., Rubin, C., & Stechler, G. (1989). Suicidal behavior in “normal” adolescents: Risk and protective factors. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 59, 59–71.
- Shaffer, D. (1974). Suicide in childhood and early adolescence. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 15, 275–291.
- Shaffer, D., Garland, A., Gould, M., Fisher, P., & Trautman, P. (1988). Preventing teenage suicide: A critical review. Journal of the American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry, 27, 657–687.
- Shaw, K. R., Sheehan, K. H., & Fernandez, R. C. (1987). Suicide in children and adolescents. Advances in Pediatrics, 34, 314–334.
- Steer, R. A., Kumar, G., & Beck, A. T. (1993). Self-reported suicidal ideation in adolescent psychiatric inpatients. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61, 1096–1099.
- Stephens, B.(1987). Cheap thrills and humble pie: The adolescence of female suicide attempters. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 17, 107–118.
- Woods, P. J., & Muller, G. E. (1988). The contemplation of suicide: Its relationship to irrational beliefs in a client sample and the implications for long range suicide prevention. Journal of Rational-Emotive and Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, 6, 236–258.
- Woznica, J. G., & Shapiro, J. (1990). An analysis of adolescent suicide attempts: The expendable child. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 15, 789–796.
- Perfectionism and Suicide Ideation in Adolescent Psychiatric Patients
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 95-101
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- suicide ideation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z4, Canada
- 2. Manitoba Adolescent Treatment Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E 2A9, Canada
- 3. York University, North York, Ontario, M3J 1P3, Canada
- 4. Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada