The Patient Self-Determination Act and Advance Directives: Snapshots of Activities in a Tertiary Health Care Center
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study describes the results of a retrospective review of patients' charts who had an advanced directive (AD) and who were hospitalized in a tertiary, acute care teaching hospital. The purpose of the review was to understand from clinical, sociological, ethical and legal perspectives the nature and utility of ADs. Findings and implications of the review are discussed in terms of: patient demographics; diagnoses; quality of ADs; influence of ADs on clinical decisions; and legal aspects of ADs.
- Creco, P.J., Shulman, K.A., Lanizzo-Maurey, R., Hansen-Flaschen, J. The Patient Self-Determination Act or the Future of Advance Directives. Annals of Internal Medicine, 1991; 115:639–643.
- Cruzan v. Director, Missouri Dept. of Health, 111 L.Ed. 2d 224, 110 S. Ct. 2841, 58 U.S.L.W. 4916 (U.S., June 26, 1990).
- Emanuel, E.J. Cost savings at the end of life: What do the data show? Journal of the American Medical Association 275: June 26, 1996, pp. 1907–14.
- Emanuel, L.L., Barry M.J., Emanuel, E.J., and Stoeckle, J.D. (1994): Advance Directives: Can Patients' Stated Treatment Choices Be Used to Infer Unstated Choices? Medical Care 32(2), 1994, 95–105.
- Emanuel, L.L., Emanuel E.J., Stoeckle, J.D., Hummel, L.R. and Barry, M.J. Advance Directives: Stability of Patients' Treatment Choices. Archives of Internal Medicine 154: Jan. 24, 1994, pp. 209–217.
- Hakim, R.B., Teno, J.M., Harrell, F.E., Knaus, W.A., Wenger, N., Phillips, R.S., Layde, P., Califf, R., Connors, A.F., and Lynn J. For the Support Investigators. Annals of Internal Medicine, 1996, 125(4), 284–93.
- King, N.M.P. Making Sense of Advance Directives. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1991.
- Lynn, J. Scholar Examines Treatment of Patients Who Are Dying. Chronicle of Higher Education March 22, 1996.
- Lynn, J., Terro, T.M. After the Patient Self Determination Act. The need for empirical research or formal advance directives. Hastings Center Report 1993; 23:20–24.
- Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1990. Public Law no. 101-508.
- Schneiderman, L.J., Teetzel H. And Kalmanson, A.G. Who Decides Who Decides? When Disagreement the Physician and the Patient's Appointed Proxy About the Patient's Decision-Making Capacity. Archives of Internal Medicine 155:April 24, 1995, pp. 793–79.
- The Support Investigators. A Controlled Trial to Improve Care for Seriously Ill Hospitalized Patients, Journal of American Medical Association, 274 (No. 20), 1995, 1591–98.
- Teno, J.M., Hill, T.P. and O'Connor, M.A. Advance Care Planning, Priorities for Ethical and Empirical Research. Special Supplement, Hastings Center Report, November–December, 1994.
- Wolfe, S.M., Boyle, P., Cullahan, D., Fins, J.J., Jennings, B., Nelson, J.L., Barondess, J.A., Brock, D.W., Dresser, R., Emmanual, L., Johnson, S., Lantos, J., Mason, D.R., Mezel, M., Orentlicher, D. and Rouse, F. Sources of Concern about the Patient Self-Determination act. New England Journal of Medicine, 1991; 325(23): 1666–1671.
- The Patient Self-Determination Act and Advance Directives: Snapshots of Activities in a Tertiary Health Care Center
Journal of Medical Humanities
Volume 18, Issue 3 , pp 193-208
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, Ohio
- 2. Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 3. Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, USA
- 4. University of Delaware, Newark, Delware