Specificity of Lipid Composition in Two Botryococcus Strains, the Producers of Liquid Hydrocarbons
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The structure of liquid hydrocarbons and fatty acids produced by the green alga Botryococcus was identified. Two representatives of this alga, Botryococcus braunii Kütz, strain IPPAS H-252, introduced into culture earlier and an organism isolated for the first time from the Shira Lake, were used for this identification. Fatty acid composition of B. braunii, strain H-252, lipids was characterized by a high content of trienoic acids of C16–C18 series. The hydrocarbon composition of this strain was represented by straight-chain and branched-chain C14–C28 components; long-chain linear aliphatic C20–C27 hydrocarbons (54.4%) and 2,6,10,14-tetramethylhexadecane (20.5%) predominated among them. The strain H-252 differed in its fatty acid and hydrocarbon composition from the strains described earlier as Botryococcus braunii. The fatty acid composition of the Botryococcus isolate was represented mainly by C12–C32 saturated and monoenoic acids. The hydrocarbons formed by this isolate were represented by dienoic and trienoic components. C29 (48.9–56.3%) and C31 (11.1–16.3%) hydrocarbons predominated among the C23–C31 dienoic hydrocarbons, and C27, C29, and C31 trienoic hydrocarbons comprised 2.5–2.6% of total hydrocarbons. This type of hydrocarbons and the lipid fatty acid composition were characteristic for the race A of B. braunii.
- Aaronson, S., Berner, T., Gold, K., Kushner, L., Patni, N.J., Repak, A., and Rubin, D., Some Observations on the Green Planktonic Alga Botryococcus braunii and Its Bloom Form, J. Plankton Res., 1983, vol. 5, pp. 691–700.
- Metzger, P., Largeau, C., and Casadevall, E., Lipids and Macromolecular Lipids of the Hydrocarbon-Rich Microalga Botryococcus braunii, in Progress in the Chemistry of Organic Natural Products, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1991, vol. 57, pp. 1–70.
- Metzger, P. and Largeau, C.,Chemicals of Botryococcus braunii, Chemicals from Microalgae, Cohen, Z., Ed., London: Taylor and Francis, 1999, pp. 205–260.
- Casadevall, E., Dif, D., Largeau, C., Gudin, C., Chaumont, D., and Desanti, O., Studies on Batch and Continuous Cultures of Botryococcus braunii: Hydrocarbon Production in Relation to Physiological State, Cell Ultrastructure and Phosphate Nutrition, Biotechnol. Bioeng., 1985, vol. 27, pp. 286–295.
- Metzger, P., Berkaloff, C., Casadevall, E., and Coute, A., Alkadiene-and Botryococcene-Producing Races of Wild Strains of Botryococcus braunii, Phytochemistry, 1985, vol. 24, pp. 2305–2312.
- Volova, G., Kalacheva, G., Zhila, N.O., and Plotnikov, V.F., Physiological and Biochemical Properties of the Botryococcus braunii, Fiziol. Rast. (Moscow),1998, vol. 45, pp. 893–898 (Russ. J. Plant Physiol., Engl. Transl.).
- Kates, M., Techniques of Lipidology: Isolation, Analysis, and Identification of Lipids, New York: Elsevier, 1972. Translated under the title Tekhnika lipidologii. Vydelenie, analiz i identificatsiya lipidov, Moscow: Mir, 1975.
- Kalacheva, G.S., Zhila, N.O., and Volova, T.G., Lipids of Green Alga Botryococcus braunii during Developmental Stages in Batch Culture, Mikrobiologiya, 2001, vol. 70, pp. 305–312.
- Hristie, W.W., Gas Chromatography and Lipids, A Practical Guide, Ayr: The Oily Press, 1989.
- Kalacheva, G.S., Zhila, N.O., Volova, T.G., and Gladyshev, M.I., The Effect of Temperature on Botryococcus Lipid Composition, Mikrobiologiya, 2002, vol. 71, pp. 336–344.
- Metzger, P., Allard, B., Casadevall, E., Berkaloff, C., and Coute, A., Structure and Chemistry of a New Chemical Race of Botryococcus braunii (Chlorophyceae) That Produces Lycopadiene, a Tetraterpenoid Hydrocarbon, J. Phycol., 1990, vol. 26, pp. 258–266.
- Metzger, P., Templier, J., Largeau, C., and Casadevall, E., An N-Alkatriene and N-Alkadienes from the a Race of the Green Alga Botryococcus braunii, Phytochemistry, 1986, vol. 25, pp. 1869–1872.
- Metzger, P., Casadevall, E., and Coute, A., Botryococcene Distribution in Strains of the Green Alga Botryococcus braunii, Phytochemistry, 1988, vol. 27, pp. 1383–1388.
- Metzger, P., Villarreal-Rosales, E., and Casadevall, E., Methyl-Branched Fatty Aldehydes and Fatty Acids in Botryococcus braunii, Phytochemistry, 1991, vol. 30, pp. 185–191.
- Thompson, G.A., Jr., Lipids and Membrane Functions in Green Algae, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1996, vol. 1302, pp. 17–45.
- Vazquez-Duhalt, R. and Greppin, H., Growth and Production of Cell Constituents in Batch Cultures of Botryococcus sudeticus, Phytochemistry, 1987, vol. 26, pp. 885–889.
- Templier, J., Largeau, C., and Casadevall, E., Effect of Various Inhibitors on Biosynthesis of Non-Isoprenoid Hydrocarbons in Botryococcus braunii, Phytochemistry, 1987, vol. 26, pp. 377–383.
- Specificity of Lipid Composition in Two Botryococcus Strains, the Producers of Liquid Hydrocarbons
Russian Journal of Plant Physiology
Volume 50, Issue 5 , pp 627-633
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- mass spectra
- Industry Sectors