DNA by Mail: An Inexpensive and Noninvasive Method for Collecting DNA Samples from Widely Dispersed Populations
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
As specific genes are identified that are associated with behavior, it becomes increasingly important for behavioral geneticists to be able to incorporate these genes in their research. Rather than using blood, DNA can be extracted from cheek swabs, which makes it possible to obtain DNA inexpensively by mail from large, widely dispersed individuals. The purpose of this paper is to recommend this technique to the behavioral genetics community and to present results of our use of this technique to obtain DNA by mail for 114 2-year-olds and 116 adults.
- Edwards, A., Civitello, A., Hammond, H. A., and Caskey, C. T. (1991a). DNA typing and genetic mapping with trimeric and tetrameric tandem repeats. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 49:746–756.
- Edwards, M. C., Clemens, P. R., Tristan, M., Pizzuti, A., and Gibbs, R. A. (1991b). Pentanucleotide repeat length polymorphism at the human CD4 locus. Nucleic Acids Res. 19:4791.
- Gyapay, G., Morissette, J., Vignal, A., Dib, C., Fizames, C., Millasseau, P., Marc, S., Bernardi, G., Lathrop, M., and Weissenbach, J. (1994). The 1993–1994 Genethon Human Genetic Linkage Map. Nature Genet. 7:246–339.
- Hata, A., and Lalouel, J.-M. (1991). Micro VNTR (CTTT)n at the apo C-III locus. Nucleic Acids Res. 19:5098.
- Kimpton, C. P., Gill, P., Walton, A., Urquhart, A., Millican, E. S., and Adams, M. (1993). Automated DNA profiling employing multiplex amplification of short tandem repeat loci. PCR Methods Appl. 3:13–22.
- McGuffin, P., Owen, M. J., O'Donovan, M. C., Thapar, A., and Gottesman, I. I. (1994). Seminars in Psychiatric Genetics, Gaskell Press, London.
- Meulenbelt, I., Droog, S., Trommelen, G. J., Boomsma, D. I., and Slagboom, P. E. (1995). High yield noninvasive human genomic DNA isolation method for genetic studies in geographically dispersed families and populations. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 57:1252–1254. ai]Plomin, R., DeFries, J. C., McClearn, G. E., and Rutter, M. (1997). Behavioral Genetics, 3rd ed., W. H. Freeman, New York.
- Plomin, R., and Rutter, M. (1997). Child development and molecular genetics: What do we do with genes once they are found? Child Dev. (in press).
- Plomin, R., Owen, M. J., and McGuffin, P. (1994). The genetic basis of complex human behaviors. Science 264:1733–1739.
- Polymeropoulos, M. H., Rath, D. S., Xiao, H., and Merril, C. R. (1990a). Trinucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human intestinal fatty acid binding protein gene (FABP2). Nucleic Acids Res. 18:7198.
- Polymeropoulos, M. H., Rath, D. S., Xiao, H., and Merril, C. R. (1990b). Trinucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human pancreatic phospholipase A-2 gene (PLA2). Nucleic Acids Res. 18:7468.
- Polymeropoulos, M. H., Xiao, H., Rath, D. S., and Merril, C. R. (1991a). Tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human aromatase cytochrome P-450 gene (CYP19). Nucleic Acids Res. 19:195.
- Polymeropoulos, M. H., Xiao, H., Rath, D. S., and Merril, C. R. (1991b). Tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human tyrosine hydroxylase gene (TH). Nucleic Acids Res. 19:3753.
- Polymeropoulos, M. H., Xiao, H., Rath, D. S., and Merril, C. R. (1991c). Tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human dihydrofolate reductase psi-2 pseudogene (DHFRP2). Nucleic Acids Res. 19:4792.
- Richards, B., Skoletsky, J., Shuber, A. P., Balfour, R., Stern, R. C., Dorkin, H. L., Parad, R. B., Witt, D., and Klinger, K. W. (1993). Multiplex PCR amplification from the CFTR gene using DNA prepared from buccal brushes/swabs. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2:159–163.
- Riemann, R., and Angleitner, A. (1997). Genetic and environmental influences on personality: A study of twins reared together using the self-and peer report NEO-FFI scales. J. Pers. (in press).
- Zulliano, G., and Hobbs, H. (1990). Tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism in the op-lipoprotein C-III gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 18:4299.
- DNA by Mail: An Inexpensive and Noninvasive Method for Collecting DNA Samples from Widely Dispersed Populations
Volume 27, Issue 3 , pp 251-257
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- behavioral genetics