Making thin polymeric materials, including fabrics, microbicidal and also water-repellent
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A procedure is developed and validated for making a non-functionalized polyolefin fabric/film highly bactericidal and fungicidal which involves a free-radical grafting of maleic anhydride, followed by an attachment of polyethylenimine (PEI) and its subsequent N-alkylation. Separately, cotton fabric coated with a micron layer of a hydrophobic polymer using hot-filament chemical vapor deposition is rendered markedly hydrophobic; if this coating is preceded by immobilization of N-alkyl-PEI, the fabric becomes both water-repellent and bactericidal.
- Cruden B, Chu K, Gleason KK, Sawin H (1999) Thermal decomposition of low dielectric constant pulsed plasma fluorocarbon films: I. effect of precursors and substrate temperature. J. Electrochem. Soc. 146: 4590–4596.
- Gregory BH (1995) Polyethylene for film applications - a review. Popular Plastics Packaging 40: 57–61.
- Ledbetter JW, Bowen JR (1969) Spectrophotometric determination of the critical micelle concentration of some alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chlorides using fluorescein. Anal. Chem. 41: 1345–1347.
- Limb SJ, Lau KKS, Edell DJ, Gleason EF, Gleason KK (1999) Molecular design of fluorocarbon film architecture by pulsed plasma enhanced and pyrolytic chemical vapor deposition. Plasmas Polym. 4: 21–32.
- Lin J, Qiu S, Lewis K, Klibanov AM (2002a) Bactericidal properties of flat surfaces and nanoparticles derivatized with alkylated polyethylenimines. Biotechnol. Progr. 18: 1082–1086.
- Lin J, Tiller JC, Lee SB, Lewis K, Klibanov AM (2002b) Insights into bactericidal action of surface-attached poly(vinyl-Nhexylpyridinium) chains. Biotechnol. Lett. 24: 801–805.
- Lin J, Qiu S, Lewis K, Klibanov AM (2003) Mechanism of bactericidal and fungicidal activities of textiles covalently modi-fied with alkylated polyethylenimine. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 83: 168–172.
- Murthy SK, Gleason KK (2002) Fluorocarbon-organosilicon copolymer synthesis by hot filament chemical vapor deposition. Macromolecules 35: 1967–1972.
- Murthy SK, Olsen BD, Gleason KK (2002) Initiation of cyclic vinylmethylsiloxane polymerization in a hot-filament chemical vapor deposition process. Langmuir 18: 6424–6428.
- Pryce Lewis HG, Casserly TB, Gleason KK (2001a) Hot-filament chemical vapor deposition of organosilicon thin films from hexamethylcyclotrisiloxane and octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane. J. Electrochem. Soc. 148: F212–F220.
- Pryce Lewis HG, Caulfield JA, Gleason KK (2001b) Perfluorooctane sulfonyl fluoride as an initiator in hot filament chemical vapor deposition of fluorocarbon thin films. Langmuir 17: 7652–7655.
- Tiller JC, Lee SB, Lewis K, Klibanov AM (2002) Polymer surfaces derivatized with poly(vinyl-N-hexylpyridinium) kill both air-and water-borne bacteria. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 79: 465–471.
- Tiller JC, Liao C-J, Lewis K, Klibanov AM (2001) Designing surfaces that kill bacteria on contact. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 5981–5985.
- Van Oost P (1966) Polypropylene fiber. Rayonne Fibres Synth. 22: 121–130.
- Making thin polymeric materials, including fabrics, microbicidal and also water-repellent
Volume 25, Issue 19 , pp 1661-1665
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- surface coatings
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 02139, USA
- 2. Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 02139, USA
- 3. Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 02139, USA
- 4. Division of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 02139, USA