Reduced angiogenesis in peritoneal dissemination of gastric cancer through gelatinase inhibition
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Marimastat is a broad-spectrum matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) inhibitor that inhibits almost all major MMPs, key enzymes in gastric cancer invasion and metastasis. We investigated the ability of marimastat to inhibit tumor angiogenesis in the severe combined immuno-deficient (SCID) mouse/human gastric cancer model of peritoneal dissemination. A human stomach adenocarcinoma cell line, TMK-1, was injected intraperitoneally into SCID mice. On the 7th day after tumor inoculation, the administration of marimastat (27 mg/kg/day) was initiated and the treatment was continued for 2 weeks using subcutaneously-inoculating mini-osmotic pumps. On the 21st day, the mice were killed and the disseminated nodules were evaluated. Total weights, numbers, and the microvascular density of the disseminating nodules were significantly lower in mice treated with marimastat compared to the control group. Film in situ zymography demonstrated that net gelatinolytic activity in the tissues was weaker in treated-group nodules than in control-group nodules. Thus, our results suggested that marimastat inhibited peritoneal dissemination of human gastric cancer cells through inhibition of tumor angiogenesis, possibly involving the down-regulation of gelatinases, in SCID mice injected with human gastric cancer cells.
- Nelson AR, Fingleton B, Rothenberg ML et al. Matrix metalloproteinases: Biologic activity and clinical implications. J Clin Oncol 2000; 18: 1135–49.
- Otani Y, Okazaki I, Arai M et al. Gene expression of interstitial collagenase (matrix metalloproteinase 1) in gastrointestinal tract cancers. J Gastroenterol 1994; 29: 391–97. CrossRef
- Nomura H, Fujimoto N, Seiki M et al. Enhanced production of matrix metalloproteinases and activation of matrix metalloproteinase 2 (gelatinase A) in human gastric carcinomas. Int J Cancer (Pred Oncol) 1996; 69: 9–16. CrossRef
- Sakurai Y, Otani Y, Kameyama K et al. Expression of interstitial collagenase (matrix metalloproteinase–1) in gastric cancers. Jpn J Cancer Res 1997; 88: 401–6.
- Sakurai Y, Otani Y, Kameyama K et al. The role of stromal cells in the expression of interstitial collagenase (matrix metalloproteinase–1) in the invasion of gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol 1997; 6: 168–72. CrossRef
- Okazaki I, Wada N, Nakano M et al. Difference in gene expression for matrix metalloproteinase–1 between early and advanced hepatocellular carcinomas. Hepatology 1997; 25: 580–4. CrossRef
- Tokumaru Y, Fujii M, Otani Y et al. Activation of matrix metalloproteinase–2 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: Studies of clinical samples and in vitro cell lines co—cultured with fibroblasts. Cancer Lett 2000; 150: 15–21. CrossRef
- Imanishi Y, Fujii M, Tokumaru Y. et al. Clinical significance of expression of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase and matrix metalloproteinase–2 in human head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Hum Pathol 2000; 31: 895–904. CrossRef
- Kameyama K. Expression of MMP–1 in the capsule of thyroid cancer: Relationship with invasiveness. Path Res Pract 1996; 192: 20–6.
- N. Igarashi, T. Kubota, Y. Otani et al. Preventive effect of matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor, R–94138, in combination with mitomycin C or cisplatin on peritoneal dissemination of human gastric cancer cell line TMK–1 in nude mice. Jpn J Cancer Res 1999; 90: 116–21.
- Kimata M, Otani Y, Kubota T et al. Matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor, marimastat, decreases peritoneal spread of gastric carcinoma in nude mice. Jpn J Cancer Res 2002; 93: 834–41.
- Otani Y, Kubota T, Sakurai Y et al. Expression of matrix metalloproteinases in gastric carcinoma and possibility of clinical application of matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor in vivo. Ann NY Acad Sci 1999; 878: 541–3. CrossRef
- Minagawa A, Otani Y, Kubota T et al. The citrus flavonoid, nobiletin, inhibits peritoneal dissemination of human gastric carcinoma in SCID mice. Jpn J Cancer Res 2001; 92: 1322–8.
- Wojtowicz—Praga SM, Dickson RB, Hawkins MJ. Matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors. Invest New Drugs 1997; 15: 61–75. CrossRef
- British Biotech plc, web page 1999; http://www.britbio.co.uk/ britishbiotech/news/990824.txt.
- Brown PD. Ongoing trials with matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors. Exp Opin Invest Drugs 2000; 9: 2167–77. CrossRef
- Tierney GM, Griffin NR, Stuart RC et al. A pilot study of the safety and effects of the matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor marimastat in gastric cancer. Eur J Cancer 1999; 35: 563–8. CrossRef
- Ochiai A, Yasui W, Tahara E. Growth—promoting effect of gastrin on human gastric carcinoma cell line TMK–1. Jpn J Cancer Res 1985; 76: 1064–71.
- Web page: http://www.clea—japan.co.jp/animals/b2–3.htm.
- Schor AM, Pendleton N, Pazouki S et al. Assessment of vascularity in histological sections: effects of methodology and value as an index of angiogenesis in breast tumours. Histochem J 1998; 30: 849–56. CrossRef
- Sato Y, Mukai K, Watanabe S et al. The AMeX method: A simplified technique of tissue processing and paraffin embedding with improved preservation of antigens for immunostaining. Am J Pathol 1986; 125: 431–5.
- Ikeda M., Maekawa R., Tanaka H. et al. Inhibition of gelatinolytic activity in tumor tissues by synthetic matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor: application of film in situ zymography. Clin Cancer Res 2000; 6: 3290–6.
- Watson SA, Morris TM, Collins HM et al. Inhibition of tumour growth by marimastat in a human xenograft model of gastric cancer: relationship with levels of circulating CEA. Br J Cancer 1999; 81: 19–23. CrossRef
- Araya M, Terashima M, Takagane A et al. Microvessel count predicts metastasis and prognosis in patients with gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol 1997; 65: 232–6. CrossRef
- Etoh T, Inoue H, Tanaka S et al. Angiopoietin–2 is related to tumor angiogenesis in gastric carcinoma: Possible in vivo regulation via induction of proteases. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 2145–53.
- Fielding J, Scholefield J, Stuart R et al. A randomized double—blind placebo—controlled study of marimastat in patients with inoperable gastric adenocarcinoma. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2000; 19: 240a.
- Reduced angiogenesis in peritoneal dissemination of gastric cancer through gelatinase inhibition
Clinical & Experimental Metastasis
Volume 20, Issue 5 , pp 431-435
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- film in situ zymography
- gastric neoplasm
- matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor
- microvascular density
- peritoneal metastasis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
- 2. Department of Surgery, National Tokyo Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
- 4. Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
- 5. Center for Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy, Keio University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan