A Balloon Experiment to detect Microorganisms in the Outer Space
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The results of biological studies of a cryosampler flown with a balloon, in which air samples were collected at altitudes ranging from 20 to 41 km, well above the Tropopause over Hyderabad, are described. In the analysis carried out in Cardiff, voltage-sensitive dyes that could detect the presence of viable cells were used on these air-samples. Clumps of viable cells were found to be present in samples collected at all the altitudes. The images obtained from electron microscopy are consistent with the above finding. Reference is also made to another paper presented at this conference describing the identification of bacterial species in the sample carried out in Sheffield. Counter arguments are discussed against the criticism that the detected cells and microorganisms (in the samples collected above the local tropopause at 16 km) are due to terrestrial contamination.
- Bernstein, M.P., Stanford, S.A., Allamandola, L.J., Gilette, J.S., Clement, S.J., Zare, R.N. (1999) Science 283: pp. 1135 CrossRef
- Bruch, C.W.: 1967, in: P.H. Gregory and J.L. Montieth (eds.), Airborne Microbes Symposium of the Society for Microbiology, 17, p. 345, Cambridge University Press).
- Deshler, T., Hofmann, D.J., Johnson, B.J., Rozier, W.R. (1992) Geophys. Res. Lett. 19: pp. 199
- Grant, W.B. (1994) J. Geophys. Res. 99: pp. 8197 CrossRef
- Haldane, J.B.S.: 1929, The Origin of Life, Chatto and Windys.
- Hoyle, F. and Wickramasinghe, N.C.: 1980, Evolution from Space, J.M. Dent & Sons.
- Hoyle, F., Wickramasinghe, N.C. (2000) Astrophys. Sp. Sci. 268: pp. 1
- Imai, E., Honda, H., Hatori, K., Brack, A., Matsumo, K. (1999) Science 283: pp. 831 CrossRef
- Kasten, F. (1968) J. Appl. Meteorology 7: pp. 944 CrossRef
- Lloyd, D., Hayes, A.J. (1995) FEMS Microbiology Lett. 133: pp. 1 CrossRef
- Lopez-Amoros, R., Mason, D.J., Lloyd, D. (1995) J. Microbiol. Meth. 22: pp. 165 CrossRef
- Lysenko, S.V. (1979) Mikrobiologia 48: pp. 1066
- Miller, S.L., Urey, H.C. (1959) Science 130: pp. 245
- Narlikar, J.V. (1998) Proc. SPIE Conf. On Instruments, Methods and Mission for Astrobiology 3441: pp. 301
- Oparin, A.I.: 1953, The Origin of Life, translated by S.Margulis, Dover.
- Secker, J., Wesson, P.S., Lepock, J.R. (1994) Astrophys. Sp. Sci. 329: pp. 1 CrossRef
- Shyamlal, (1996) Ind. J. Radio Sp. Phys. 25: pp. 1
- Smibert, R.M. and Kreis, N.R.: 1994, in: P. Gerherdt, R.G.E. Murray, W.R. Wood and N.R. Kreig (eds.), Methods for General and Molecular Bacteriology, Am. Soc. Microbiol., p. 603.
- Wainwright, M.: 2003, Reference to article in this volume.
- Wickramasinghe, N.C.: 2003, Reference to article in this volume.
- A Balloon Experiment to detect Microorganisms in the Outer Space
Astrophysics and Space Science
Volume 285, Issue 2 , pp 555-562
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Post Bag 4, Ganeshkhind, Pune, 411 007, India
- 2. Cardiff School of Biological Sciences, Cardiff University, P.O. Box 915, Cardiff, CF10 3TL, Wales, UK
- 3. Cardiff Centre for Astrobiology, Cardiff University, 2 North Road, Cardiff, Wales, UK
- 4. Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK
- 5. Indian Space Research Organization, Antariksh Bhavan, New BEL Road, Bangalore, 560 094, India
- 6. Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Uppal Road, Hyderabad, 500 007, India
- 7. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Homi Bhabha Road, Mumbai, 400 005, India