On Cognitive Informatics
- Yingxu Wang
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Supplementary to matter and energy, information is the third essence for modeling the natural world. An emerging discipline known as cognitive informatics (CI) is developed recently that forms a profound interdisciplinary study of cognitive and information sciences, and tackles the common root problems sharing by informatics, computing, software engineering, artificial intelligence, cognitive science, neuropsychology, philosophy, linguistics, and life science. CI focuses on internal information processing mechanisms and the natural intelligence of the brain. This paper describes the historical development of informatics from the classical information theory and contemporary informatics, to CI. The domain of CI, and its interdisciplinary nature are explored. Foundations of CI, particularly the brain versus the mind, the acquired life functions versus the inherited ones, and generic relationships between information, matter, and energy are investigated. The potential engineering applications of CI and perspectives on future research are discussed. It is expected that the investigation into CI will result in fundamental findings towards the development of next generation IT and software technologies, and new architectures of computing systems.
- Bell, D. A., 1953: Information Theory, Pitman, London.
- Dawson, M. R. W., 1998: Understanding Cognitive Science, Blackwell, Oxford.
- Goldman, S., 1953: Information Theory, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Harre, R., 2002: Cognitive Science: A Philosophical Introduction, Sage, London.
- Hartley, R. V. L., 1928: Transmission of information, Bell Syst.Tech.J. July, 535.
- Leahey, T. H., 1980: A History of Psychology: Main Currents in Psychological Thoughts, 4th edn., Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Patel, D. and Wang, Y. (eds.), 2000: Comparative studies of engineering approaches for software engineering, Ann.Software Eng.Int.J. 10, 391.
- Shannon, C. E., 1948: A mathematical theory of communication, Bell Syst.Tech.J. 27, 379-423, 623-656.
- Shannon, C. E. and Weaver, W., 1949: The Mathematical Theory of Communication, Illinois University Press, Urbana.
- Stillings, N. and Feinstein, M. H., 1987: Cognitive Science: An Introduction, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Wang, Y., 2001: On a new frontier: Cognitive informatics, invited talk, in Proc.7th International Conference on Object-Oriented Information Systems (OOIS'01), Springer, Calgary, Canada. August 2001.
- Wang, Y., 2002a: On cognitive informatics, Keynote speech, in Proc.of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics (ICCI'02), IEEE CS Press, Calgary, Canada, August 2002, pp. 34-42.
- Wang, Y., 2002b: On the informatics laws of software, Keynote speech, in Proc.of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics (ICCI'02), IEEE CS Press, Calgary, Canada, August 2002, pp. 132-144.
- Wang, Y., 2002c: The real-time process algebra (RTPA), Ann.Software Eng. 14 (Oct.), 235-274.
- Wang, Y., 2003: Using process algebra to describe human and software behaviors, Brain Mind: Transdiscip.J. Neurosci.Neurophilos. 4(2), 199-213.
- Wilson, R. A. and Frank, C. K. (eds.), 1999: The MIT Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Science, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MS.
- Wang,Y., Johnston, R. and Smith, M., 2002:Cognitive Informatics: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference (ICCI'02), IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos, CA.
- Wang, Y., Liu, D. and Wang, Y., 2003: Discovering the capacity of human memory, Brain Mind: Transdiscip.J. Neurosci.Neurophilos. 4(2), 189-198.
- Wang, Y., Patel, S. and Johnston, R. (eds.), 2001: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Object-Oriented Information Systems (OOIS'01), Calgary, Canada, August 2001, 552 pp.
- Wang, Y. and Wang, Y., 2002: Cognitive models of the brain, in Proc.of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics (ICCI'02), IEEE CS Press, Calgary, Canada, August 2002, pp. 259-269.
- Zhong, Y., 1996: Principles of Information Science, BUPT Press, Beijing.
- On Cognitive Informatics
Brain and Mind
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 151-167
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- cognitive informatics
- cognitive science
- contemporary informatics
- information theory
- software engineering
- Yingxu Wang (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Theoretical and Empirical Software Engineering Research Center, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2N 1N4