TV Based Image Restoration with Local Constraints
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The problem of recovering an image that has been blurred and corrupted with additive noise is ill-posed. Among the methods that have been proposed to solve this problem, one of the most successful ones is that of constrained Total Variation (TV) image restoration, proposed by L. Rudin, S. Osher, and E. Fatemi. In its original formulation, to ensure the satisfaction of constraints, TV restoration requires the estimation of a global parameter λ (a Lagrange multiplier). We observe that if λ is global, the constraints of the method are also satisfied globally, but not locally. The effect is that the restoration is better achieved in some regions of the image than in others. To avoid this, we propose a variant of the TV restoration model including, instead of a single constraint λ, a set of constraints λ i , each one corresponding to a region O i of the image. We discuss the existence and uniqueness of solutions of the proposed model and display some numerical experiments.
- Acar, R., and Vogel, C. R. (1994). Analysis of total variation penalty methods for Ill-posed problems. Inverse Problems 10, 1217-1229.
- Alvarez, L., Gousseau, Y., and Morel, J. M. (1999). The size of objects in natural and artificial images. Advances in Imaging and Electron Physics 111.
- Ambrosio, L., Fusco, N., and Pallara, D. (2000). Functions of Bounded Variation and Free Discontinuity Problems, Oxford Mathematical Monographs.
- Andreu, F., Ballester, C., Caselles, V., and Mazón, J. M. (2001). Minimizing total variation flow. Differential Integral Equations 14, 321-360.
- Anzellotti, G. (1983). Pairings between measures and bounded functions and compensated compactness. Ann. di Matematica Pura ed Appl. IV 135, 293-318.
- Bellettini, G., Caselles, V., and Novaga, M. The Total Variation Flow in ℝN, Preprint 2001.
- Black, M., and Sapiro, G. (1999). Edges as Outliers: Anisotropic Smoothing using Local Image Statistics, Proceedings Scale-Space Conference, Corfu, Greece.
- Chambolle, A., and Lions, P. L. (1995). Image Recovery via Total Variation Minimization and Related Problems, Preprint.
- Chan, T. F., Golub, G. H., and Mulet, P. (1999). A nonlinear primal-dual method for total variation based image restoration. SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 20(6), 1964-1977.
- Chan, T. F., Golub, G. H., and Mulet, P. (1997). Total Variation Image Restoration: Numerical Methods and Extensions, Proceedings International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP-97, October 26-29, Santa Barbara, California, Vol. III, pp. 384-387.
- Ciarlet, P. G. (1988). Introduction to Numerical Linear Algebra and Optimization, Cambridge University Press.
- Demoment, G. (1989). Image reconstruction and restoration: Overview of common estimation structures and problems, IEEE Trans. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Proc. 37(12), 2024-2036.
- Donoho, D. L., Johnstone, I. M., Kerkyacharian, G., and Picard, D. (1995). Wavelet Shrinkage: Asymptopia? J. Roy. Statist. Soc. Ser. B 57, 301-369.
- Durand, S., Malgouyres, F., and Rougé, B. (1999). Image Deblurring, Spectrum Interpolation and Application to Satellite Imaging, Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis.
- Evans, L. C., and Gariepy, R. F. (1992). Measure Theory and Fine Properties of Functions, Studies in Advanced Math., CRC Press.
- Geman, D., and Reynolds, G. (1992). Constrained image restoration and recovery of discontinuities. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell. 14, 367-383.
- Groetsch, C. W. (1984). The Theory of Tikhonov Regularization for Fredholm Integral Equations of the First Kind, Pitman, Boston.
- Ito, K., and Kunisch, K. (1999). An Active Set Strategy Based On The Augmented Lagrangian Formulation For Image Restoration, Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 1-21
- Koepfler, G., Lopez, C., and Morel, J.-M. (1994). A multiscale algorithm for image segmentation by variational method. SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 31, 282-299.
- Lions, P. L., Osher S., and Rudin, L. (1992). Denoising and Deblurring using Constrained Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations, Tech. Repport, Cognitech, Santa Monica, CA, submitted to SINUM.
- Moisan, L. (2001). Extrapolation de spectre et variation totale ponderée, Preprint.
- Morel, J. M., and Solimini, S. (1994). Variational Methods in Image Processing, Birkhäuser.
- Mumford, D., and Shah, J. (1989). Optimal approximations by piecewise smooth functions and associated variational problems. Comm. Pure Appl. Math., 17, 577-685.
- Nikolova, M. (2000). Local strong homogeneity of a regularized estimator. SIAM J. Appl. Math 61, 633-658.
- Peressini, A. L., Sullivan, F. E., Uhl, J. J., Jr. (1988). The Mathematics of Nonlinear Programming, Springer Verlag.
- Rohatgi, V. K. (1976). An Introduction to Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics, Wiley.
- Rougé, B. (1998). Théorie de l'échantillonage et satellites d'observation de la terre, Analyse de Fourier et traitement d'images, Journées X-UPS.
- Rosen, J. G. (1961). The gradient projection method for nonlinear programming. Part II. Nonlinear constraints. J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math. 9, 514-532.
- Rudin, L. I. (1987). Images, Numerical Analysis of Singularities and Shock Filters, Ph.D. dissertation, Caltech, Pasadena, California n5250:TR.
- Rudin, L., and Osher, S. (1994). Total Variation based Image Restoration with Free Local Constraints, Proc. of the IEEE ICIP-94, Vol. 1, Austin, TX, pp. 31-35.
- Rudin, L. I., Osher, S., and Fatemi, E. (1992). Nonlinear total variation based noise removal algorithms. Phys. D 60, 259-269.
- Strong, D., Blomgren, P., and Chan, T. Spatially Adaptative Local Feature Driven Total Variation Minimizing Image Restoration, CAM Report.
- Strong, D., and Chan, T. F. (1996). Spatially and Adaptative Total Variation Based Regularization and Anisotropic Diffusion in Image Processing, CAM Report, UCLA.
- Tikhonov, A. N., and Arsenin, V. Y. (1977). Solutions of Ill-Posed Problems, John Wiley, New York.
- Twomey, S. (1965). The application of numerical filtering to the solution of integral equations encountered in indirect sensing measurements. J. Franklin Inst. 297, 95-109.
- Vogel, C. R., and Oman, M. E. (1996). Iterative methods for total variation denoising. SIAM J. Sci. Computing 17(1), 227-238.
- Vogel, C. R., and Oman, M. E. (1995). Fast Total Variation Based Image Reconstruction, Proceedings of the 1995 ASME Design Engineering Conferences, Vol. 3, pp. 1009-1015.
- Ziemer, W. P. (1989). Weakly Differentiable Functions, GTM 120, Springer-Verlag.
- TV Based Image Restoration with Local Constraints
Journal of Scientific Computing
Volume 19, Issue 1-3 , pp 95-122
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- image restoration
- Total Variation
- variational methods
- satellite images
- Industry Sectors