Evaluation of the Effect of Pollen Irradiation on Karyotype Variability in M2 Cotton Plants
- M. F. Sanamyan
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The karyotypes of biomorphologically abnormal cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) plants obtained in M2 after pollination with pollen irradiated at dose rates 10, 15, 20, and 25 Gy were studied. Various genomic and chromosomal mutations were detected in 57 M2 families. The primary monosomics isolated in M2 were found to be cytologically more stable and more viable, since they had higher meiotic index, pollen fertility, and seed formation. In M2, a decrease in the number of plants with multiple karyotype aberrations and interchromosomal exchanges with high frequency of multivalent formation was observed. The multivalent configurations had different types and chromosome disjunctions. Their pollen fertility was higher than in translocants found in M1. Desynapsis often occurred in M2, including plants with chromosome deficiency or rearrangements. The variation in the number of univalents in various cells was found to result from different expression of synaptic genes. The results indicate stabilization of karyotypes, increase in cytologic stability and viability, and the absence of sterility in aberrant plants.
- Endrizzi, J.E., Turcotte, E.L., and Kohel, R.J., Genetics, Cytology and Evolution of Gossypium, Adv. Genet., 1985, vol. 23, pp. 271-375.
- Stelly, D.M., Interfacing Cytogenetics with the Cotton Genome Mapping Effort, Proc. Beltwide Cotton Conf. (New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, January pp10-14), Herber, D.J. and Richter, D.A., Eds., Memphis, Tenn., 1993, pp. 1545-1550.
- Ji, Y., Raska, D.A., Mc Knight, T.D., et al., Use of Meiotic FISH for Identification of a New Monosome in Gossypium hirsutum L., Genome, 1997, vol. 40, pp. 34-40.
- Brown, M.S., Identification of the Chromosomes of Gossypium hirsutum L. by Means of Translocation, J. Hered., 1980, vol. 71, pp. 266-274.
- Khush, G.S., Cytogenetics of Aneuploids, New York: Academic, 1973.
- Clausen, R.E. and Cameron, D.R., Inheritance in Nicotiana tabacum: XVIII. Monosomic Analysis, Genetics, 1944, vol. 29, pp. 447-477.
- Sanamyan, M.F. and Petlyakova, J.E., Cytogenetic Analysis of Cotton Monosomics, Biol. Plant., 2002, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 367-373.
- Morrison, J.W. and Unrau, J., Frequency of Micronuclei in Pollen Quartets of Common Wheat Monosomics, Can. J. Bot., 1952, vol. 30, pp. 371-378.
- Ray, D.T., Metaphase I Configurations of the Reciprocal Translocations in a Cytogenetic Tester of Gossypium hirsutum L., J. Hered., 1984, vol. 75, pp. 371-377.
- Sosnikhina, S.N. and Smirnov, V.G., Isolation and Analysis of Meiotic Mutants in Cross-Pollinating Cereals, Tsitogenetika zernovykh kul'tur (Cytogenetics of Cultivated Cereals), Tallinn, 1990, pp. 122-128.
- Zhirov, E.G., Bessarab, K.S., and Gubanova, M.A., A Genetic Study of Partial Desynapsis in Common Wheat, Genetika (Moscow), 1973, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 18-29.
- Sosnikhina, S.P., Smirnov, V.G., and Mikhailova, E.I., A Cytogenetic Study of an Asynaptic Mutant of Rye, Genetika (Moscow), 1989, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2157-2167.
- Sosnikhina, S.P., Smirnov, V.G., Mikhailova, E.I., and Egorova, L.F., Partial Asynapsis Mutation in Rye, Genetika (Moscow), 1992, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 128-136.
- Fedotova, Yu.S., Kolomiets, O.L., and Bogdanov, Yu.F., Electron Microscopic Analysis of Meiosis in Rye Mutants with Disturbed Chromosome Synapsis, Genetika (Moscow), 1989, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 462-468.
- Bogdanov, Yu.F., Grishaeva, T.M., Kolomiets, O.L., and Fedotova, Yu.S., Cytogenetic Regularities at Meiotic Chromosome Synapsis in Animals and Plants, Genetika (Moscow), 1996, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1474-1493.
- Beasley, J.O. and Brown, M.S., Asynaptic Gossypium Plants and Their Polyploids, J. Agric. Res., 1942, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 421-427.
- Weaver, J.B., An Asynaptic Character in Cotton Inherited as a Double Recessive, Crop Sci., 1971, vol. 11, pp. 927-928.
- Smithson, J.B., Asynapsis in Cotton, Cott. Grow. Rev., 1974, vol. 51, pp. 99-105.
- Sanamyan, M.F., Petlyakova, J.E., and Musaev, D.A., The Development and a Cytogenetic Study of Monosomics of Gossypium hirsutum L., Biol. Plant., 2000, vol. 43, pp. 193-197.
- Sanamyan, M.F., Evaluation of the Effect of Pollen Irradiation on Karyotype Variability in M1 Cotton Plants, Genetika (Moscow), 2003, vol. 39.
- Evaluation of the Effect of Pollen Irradiation on Karyotype Variability in M2 Cotton Plants
Russian Journal of Genetics
Volume 39, Issue 8 , pp 909-916
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- M. F. Sanamyan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Genetics and Cytoembryology, National University of Uzbekistan, Tashkent, 700174, Uzbekistan