Explicit Multicasting for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we propose an explicit multicast routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks (MANETs). Explicit multicasting differs from common approaches by listing destination addresses in data packet headers. Using the explicit destination information, the multicast routing protocol can avoid the overhead of employing its own route construction and maintenance mechanisms by taking advantage of unicast routing table. Our protocol – termed Differential Destination Multicast (DDM) – is an explicit multicast routing protocol specifically designed for MANET environment. Unlike other MANET multicasting protocols, instead of distributing membership control throughout the network, DDM concentrates this authority at the data sources (i.e. senders) thereby giving sources knowledge of group membership. In addition, differentially-encoded, variable-length destination headers are inserted in data packets which are used in combination with unicast routing tables to forward multicast packets towards multicast receivers. Instead of requiring that multicast forwarding state to be stored in all participating nodes, this approach also provides the option of stateless multicasting. Each node independently has the choice of caching forwarding state or having its upstream neighbor to insert this state into self-routed data packets, or some combination thereof. The protocol is best suited for use with small multicast groups operating in dynamic MANET environment.
- E. Bommaiah, A. McAuley and R. Talpade, Amroute: ad hoc multicast routing protocol, Internet Draft, draft-talpade-manetamroute-00.txt (February 1999), work in progress.
- R. Boivie, A new multicast scheme for small groups, IBM Research Report RC21512(97046) (June 1999).
- J. Broch, D. Maltz, D. Johnson, Y. Hu and J. Jetcheva, A performance comparison of multi-hop wireless ad hoc network routing protocols, in: tiProceedings of ACM/IEEE MOBICOM'98 (October 1998) pp. 85–97.
- Y. Chu, S. Rao and H. Zhang, A case for end system multicast, in: tiProceedings of the International Conference on Measurements and Modeling of Computer Systems (2000).
- J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves and E. Madruga, A multicast routing protocol for ad-hoc networks, in: tiProceedings of IEEE INFOCOM'99 (March 1999) pp. 784–792.
- J. Jercheva, Y. Hu, D. Maltz and D. Johnson, A simple protocol for multicast and broadcast in mobile ad hoc networks, Internet Draft, draftietf-manet-simple-mbcast-01.txt (July 2002), work in progress.
- L. Ji and M. Corson, Light-weight adaptive multicast, in: tiProceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM'98 (November 1998).
- L. Ji and M. Corson, Differential destination multicast (ddm) specification, Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-ddm-00.txt (July 2000), work in progress.
- L. Ji and M. Corson, Differential destination multicast û a manet multicast routing protocol for small groups, in: tiProceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2001 (April 2001).
- D. Johnson and D. Maltz, Dynamic source routing in ad hoc wireless networks, in: tiMobile Computing, eds. T. Imielinski and H. Korth (1996) pp. 153–181.
- S. Lee, W. Su and M. Gerla, On-demand multicast routing protocol (ODMRP), Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-odmrp-02.txt (June 1999), work in progress.
- S. Lee, W. Su, J. Hsu, M. Gerla and R. Bagrodia, A performance comparison study of ad hoc wireless multicast protocols, in: tiINFOCOM 2000 (March 2000).
- D. Ooms and W. Livens, Connectionless multicast, Internet Draft, draft-ooms-cl-multicast-01.txt (October 1999), work in progress.
- T. Ozaki, J. Kim and T. Suda, Bandwidth-efficient multicast routing protocol for ad hoc networks, in: tiProceedings of IEEE ICCCN'99 (October 1999).
- C. Perkins and P. Bhagwat, Highly dynamic destination-sequenced distance vector routing (DSDV) for mobile computers, in: tiProceedings of SIGCOMM'94 (August 1994).
- C. Perkins, E. Royer and S. Das, Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (aodv) routing, Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-aodv-04.txt (October 1999), work in progress.
- E. Royer and C. Perkins, Multicast using ad hoc on-demand distance vector routing, in: tiProceedings of ACM/IEEE MOBICOM'99 (1999).
- P. Sinha, R. Sivakumar and V. Bharghavan, Mcedar: Multicast core extraction distributed ad hoc routing, in: tiProceedings of IEEE WCNC'99 (September 1999).
- I. Stoica, T. Ng and H. Zhang, Reunite: A recursive unicast approach to multicast, in: tiProceedings of IEEE INFOCOM'00 (March 2000).
- UC Berkeley and LBL and USC/ISI and Xerox PARC, ns notes and documentation, http: //www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns (October 1999).
- C. Wu, Y. Tay and C. Toh, Ad hoc multicast routing protocol utilizing increasing id-numbers (amris) functional specification, Intenet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-amris-spec-00.txt (November 1998).
- Explicit Multicasting for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
Mobile Networks and Applications
Volume 8, Issue 5 , pp 535-549
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- wireless networks
- explicit multicasting
- differentiated destination routing
- Industry Sectors