Characterization of Salmonella spp. isolated from patients below 3 years old with acute diarrhoea
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fifteen strains of Salmonella were isolated from children with clinically diagnosed diarrhoea aged below 3 years old, who had been admitted to K7 ward, Pediatric Institute, Kuala Lumpur Hospital. The isolates were tested for their susceptibility to a range of antimicrobial agents, and typed by serological tests and randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) fingerprinting. All the strains had a similar pattern of antimicrobial susceptibility, where they were susceptible to a wide range of antimicrobial agents. The serological test has typed them into three serovars, which were identified as Salmonella enterica ser. Akanji, Salmonella enterica ser. Hindmarch and Salmonella enterica ser. Richmond. In contrast, the RAPD fingerprinting classed them into two major clusters, cluster 1 consisting of 12 strains of Salmonella and cluster 2 consisting of three strains of Salmonella.
- Albert, M.J., Faruque, S.M., Neogi, P.K.B., Ansaruzzaman, M., Bhuyan, N.N., Alam, K. & Akbar, M.S. 1995 Controlled study of Esherichia coli diarrheal infections in Bangladeshi children. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 33, 973–977
- Anonymous. 2000 Salmonella serotypes recorded in the Public Health Laboratory Service Salmonella data set, April to June 2000. Communicable Disease Report 10, 332.
- Bishop, W.P. & Ulshen, M.H. 1988 Bacterial gastroenteritis. Pediatric Clinics of North America 35, 69–87.
- Casalino, M., Yusuf, M.W., Nicoletti, M., Bazzicalupo, P., Coppo, A., Colonna, B., Cappelli, C., Bianchini, C., Falbo, V., Ahmed, H.J., Omar, K.H., Maxamuud, K.B. & Maimone, F. 1988 A two-year study of enteric infections associated with diarrhoeal diseases in children in urban Somalia. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygeine 82, 637–641.
- Cohen, M.B. & Laney, D.W. Jr., 1999 Infectious diarrhea. In Pediatric Gastrointestinal Disease Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Management, 2nd edn. eds. Wyllie, R., Hyams, J.S., pp. 348–370. Philadelphia: WB Saunders. ISBN 0-7216-7461-5.
- Conte, J.E. 2001 Manual of Antibiotics and Infectious Diseases. 9th edn. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. ISBN 0-7817-2316-7.
- Guerrant, R.L., Hughes, J.M., Lima, N.L. & Crane, J. 1990 Diarrhea in developed and developing countries: magnitude, special settings and etiologies. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 12(Suppl 1), S41.
- Hargett-Bean, N.T., Pavia, A.T. & Tauxen, R.T. 1988 Salomella isolates from humans in United States, 1984-1986. MMWR Morbility and Mortality Weekly Report. 3(SS2), 25–31.
- Herikstad, H., Hayes, P., Mokhtar, M., Fracaro, M.L., John Threlfall, E. & Angulo, F.J. 1997 Emerging quinolone-resistant Salmonella in the United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases 3, 371–372.
- Hoge, C.W., Gambel, J.M., Srijn, A., Pitarangsi, C. & Echeverria, P. 1998 Trends in antibiotic resistance among diarrhoeal pathogens isolated in Thailand over 15 years. Clinical Infectious Diseases 26, 341–345.
- Kunin, C.M. 1993 Resistance to antimicrobial drugs a worldwide calamity. Annals of Internal Medicine 118, 557–561.
- Malaysia Health 1996 Technical Report of the Director-General of Health, Malaysia. Tan Sri Dato (Dr) Abu Bakar Suleiman, p. 48. Malaysia: Ministry of Health.
- Murray, B.E., Alvarado, T., Kim, K.H., Vorachit, M., Jayanetra, P. & Levine, M.M. 1985 Increasing resistance to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole among isolates of Escherichia coli in developing countries. Journal of Infectious Diseases 147, 724–728.
- Nolan, L.K., Wooley, R.E., Brown, J. & Payeurk, J.B. 1991 Comparison of phenotypic characteristics of Salmonella spp. isolated from healthy and ill (infected) chickens. American Journal of Veterinary Research 52, 1512–1517.
- Powell, D.W. 1995 Approach to the patient with diarrhea. In Textbook of Gastroenterolgy, ed. Tadataka, Y. pp. 813–854. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Company. ISBN 0-397-51491-3.
- Rahal, K., Wang, F., Schindler, J., Rowe, B., Cookson, B., Huovinen, P., et al. 1997 Reports on surveillance of antimicrobial resistance in individual countries. Clinical Infectious Diseases 24(Suppl 1), S169–175.
- Sack, R.B., Rahman, M., Yunus, M. & Khan, E.H. 1997 Antimicrobial resistance in organisms causing diarrhoeal disease. Clinical Infectious Diseases 24(Suppl 1), S102–105.
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F. & Maniatis, T. 1989 Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. ISBN 0879693738.
- Scuderi, G., Fantasia, M. & Niglio, T. 2000 Results of the three-year surveillance by the Italian SALM-NET system: human isolates of Salmonella serotypes. European Journal of Epidemiology 16, 377–383.
- Simanjuntak, C.H., Hardjining, S., Hasibuan, M.A., Pujarwoto & Koiman, I. 1998 Gastrointestinal infections in Southeast Asia (V). Technical Meeting of Counterparts on Seamic Data Exchange Program of Infectious Diseases. SEAMIC, Japan.
- Soto, A., Pitcher, D.G. & Soriano, F. 1991 A numerical analysis of ribosomal RNA gene patterns for typing clinical isolates of Corynebacterium group D2. Epidemiology and Infection 102, 263–272.
- Characterization of Salmonella spp. isolated from patients below 3 years old with acute diarrhoea
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 19, Issue 7 , pp 751-755
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Acute diarrhea
- antibiotic susceptibility
- diarrhoeagenic bacteria
- RAPD fingerprinting
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Food Technology, Faculty of Food Science and Biotechnology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
- 2. Pantai Medical Centre, Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia