Interpretation and the Problem of Domination: Paul Ricoeur's Hermeneutics
- Zeus Leonardo
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Hermeneutics, or the science of interpretation,is well accepted in the humanities. In thefield of education, hermeneutics has played arelatively marginal role in research. It isthe task of this essay to introduce thegeneral methods and findings of Paul Ricoeur'shermeneutics. Specifically, the essayinterprets the usefulness of Ricoeur'sphilosophy in the study of domination. Theproblem of domination has been a target ofanalysis for critical pedagogy since itsinception. However, the role of interpretationas a constitutive part of ideology critique isrelatively understudied and it is here thatRicoeur's ideas are instructive. Last, theessay radicalizes Ricoeur's insights in orderto realize their potential to disruptasymmetrical relations of power in education. To this extent, the author contributes to thebuilding of a critical brand of hermeneutics,or the interpretation of domination.
- Althusser, L. (1971). Lenin and philosophy. New York: Monthly Review Press.
- Apple, M. (1990). Ideology and curriculum. New York and London: Routledge.
- Barthes, R. (1991). Written clothing. In C. Mukerji & M. Schudson (Eds), Rethinking popular culture (pp. 432–445). Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- Benhabib, S. (1987). The generalized and the concrete other. In S. Benhabib & D. Cornell (Eds), Feminism as critique (pp. 77–95). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Biesta, G.J.J. (2001). Preparing for the incalculable: Deconstruction, justice and the question of education. In G.J.J. Biesta & D. Egea-Kuehne (Eds), Derrida and education (pp. 32–54). New York and London: Routledge.
- Calhoun, C. (1995). Critical social theory. Oxford, UK and Cambridge, US: Blackwell.
- Eagleton, T. (1991). Ideology. New York and London: Routledge.
- Feinberg, W. & Soltis, J. (1998). School and society, 3rd Edition. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Foucault, M. (1991). What is an author? In C. Mukerji & M. Schudson (Eds), Rethinking popular culture (pp. 446–464). Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- Freire, P. (1993). Pedagogy of the oppressed. New York: Continuum.
- Gadamer, H-G. (1975). Truth and method. New York: The Seabury Press.
- Geertz, C. (1994). Ideology as a cultural system. In T. Eagleton (Ed), Ideology (pp. 279–294). London and New York: Longman.
- Giroux, H. (1981). Ideology, culture, and the process of schooling. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Giroux, H. (1988). Teachers as intellectuals. New York,Westport, CT, and London: Bergin and Garvey.
- Gouldner, A. (1994). Ideological discourse as rationality and false consciousness. In T. Eagleton (Ed), Ideology (pp. 202–210). London and New York: Longman.
- Gramsci, A. (1971). Selections from prison notebooks. New York: International Publishers.
- Habermas, J. (1971). Knowledge and human interests. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Habermas, J. (1989). The structural transformation of the public sphere. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Hall, S. (1996). The problem of ideology: Marxism without guarantees. In D. Morley & K. Chen (Eds), Stuart Hall (pp. 25–46). New York and London: Routledge.
- Higgins, J. (1986). Raymond Williams and the problem of ideology. In J. Arac (Ed), Postmodernism and politics (pp. 112–122). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Jameson, F. (1988). The ideologies of theory: Essays 1971-1986, Vol. 1. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Kincheloe, J. & McLaren, P. (1994). Rethinking critical theory and qualitative research. In Y. Lincoln & N. Denzin (Eds), Handbook of qualitative research (pp. 138–157). Thousand Oaks, CA and London: SAGE.
- Kneller, G. (1984). Movements of thought in modern education. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Lyotard, J. (1994). Just gaming. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Mannheim, K. (1936). Ideology and utopia. New York: Harcourt, Brace & World.
- Marx, K. & Engels, F. (1970). The German ideology. New York: International Publishers.
- Peters, M. & Lankshear, C. (1994). Education and hermeneutics: A Freirean interpretation. In P. McLaren & C. Lankshear (Eds), Politics of liberation: Paths from Freire (pp. 173–192). New York and London: Routledge.
- Phillips, D. & Burbules, N. (2000). Postpositivism and educational research. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Ricoeur, P. (1976). Interpretation theory: Discourse and the surplus of meaning. Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press.
- Ricoeur, P. (1981). Hermeneutics and the human sciences. In J.B. Thompson (Ed), Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Ricoeur, P. (1984). Time and narrative, Vol. 1. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Ricoeur, P. (1985). Time and narrative, Vol. 2. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Ricoeur, P. (1986). Lectures on ideology and utopia. In G. Taylor (Ed). New York: Columbia University Press.
- Ricoeur, P. (1988). Time and narrative, Vol. 3. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Said, E. (1979). Orientalism. New York: Random House.
- Saussure, F. de. (1983). Course in general linguistics. Chicago: Open Court Classics.
- Sirotnik, K. & Oakes, J. (1986). Critical inquiry for school renewal: Liberating theory and practice. In K. Sirotnik & J. Oakes (Eds), Critical perspectives on the organization and improvement of schooling (pp. 3–93). Boston: Kluwer-Nijhoff Publishing.
- Thompson, J. (1984). Studies in the theory of ideology. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- Thompson, J. (1981). Critical hermeneutics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Weedon, C. (1997). Feminist practice & poststructuralist theory, 2nd Edition. Cambridge, MA and Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
- Interpretation and the Problem of Domination: Paul Ricoeur's Hermeneutics
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 22, Issue 5 , pp 329-350
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- critical pedagogy
- democratic education
- ideology critique
- interpretive research
- Paul Ricoeur
- philosophy of education
- school change
- social justice
- Zeus Leonardo (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Educational Psychology, Counseling, and Administration, California State University, Long Beach School of Education, 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, CA, 90840-2201, USA