1,3-Propanediol oxidoreductase production with Klebsiella pneumoniae DSM2026
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We report a Klebsiella pneumoniae DSM2026 fermentation procedure for the efficient production of a key enzyme of 1,3-propanediol formation: 1,3-propanediol oxidoreductase (E.C. 22.214.171.124). The fermentation process is composed of an aerobic batch phase on glucose and glycerol and an anaerobic phase on glycerol. The role of the aerobic phase is to produce sufficiently high cell mass (12.9–14.6 g/l dry weight) and to activate the aerobic branch of the Klebsiella glycerol pathway, whereas in the anaerobic phase there is a rapid initiation of 1,3-propanediol oxidoreductase formation. A fast change from an aerobic to an anaerobic environment led to a redox imbalance, which resulted in the abrupt activation of the anaerobic branch of glycerol utilization, with the occurrence of a high 1,3-propanediol-oxidoreductase activity. A mathematical model with substrate inhibition showed that the adequate glycerol concentration for enzyme production was 14–16 g/l. The combination of the optimal substrate concentration together with the subsequent use of glucose and glycerol resulted in 90.6 ± 11.6 U enzyme activity referred to 1 l of fermentation broth and 10.3 ± 0.9 U/(1 h) productivity.
- Ahrens, K., Menzel, K., Zeng, A.P. & Deckwer, W.D. 1998 Kinetic, dynamic, and pathway studies of glycerol metabolism by Klebsiella pneumoniae in anaerobic continuous culture: III. Enzymes and fluxes of glycerol dissimilation and 1,3-propanediol formation. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 59, 544–552.
- Barbirato, F., Camarasca-Claret, C., Bories, A. & Grivet, J.P. 1995 Description of the glycerol fermentation by a new 1,3-propanediol producing microorganism: Enterobacter agglomerans. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 43, 786–793.
- Biebl, H. & Marten, S. 1995 Fermentation of glycerol to 1,3-propanediol: use of cosubstrates. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 44, 15–19.
- Biebl, H., Menzel, K., Zeng, A.P. & Deckwer, W.D. 1999 Microbial production of 1,3-propanediol. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 52, 289–297.
- Deckwer, W.D. 1995 Microbial conversion of glycerol to 1,3-propanediol. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 16, 143–149.
- Günzel, B., Yonsei, S. & Deckwer, W.D. 1991 Fermentative production of 1,3-propanediol from glycerol by Clostridium butyricum up to a scale of 2 m3. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 36, 289–295.
- Homann, T., Tag, C., Biebl, H., Deckwer, W.D. & Schink, B. 1990 Fermentation of glycerol to 1,3-propanediol by Klebsiella and Citrobacter strains. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 33, 121–126.
- Johnson, E.A. & Lin, E.C.C. 1987 Klebsiella pneumoniae 1,3-propanediol: NAD+ oxidoreductase. Journal of Bacteriology 169, 2050–2054.
- Menzel, K., Zeng, A.P. & Deckwer, W.D. 1997a High concentration and productivity of 1,3-propanediol from continuous fermentation of glycerol by Klebsiella pneumoniae. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 20, 82–86.
- Menzel, K., Zeng, A.P. & Deckwer, W.D. 1997b Enzymatic evidence for an involvement of pyruvate dehydrogenase in the anaerobic glycerol metabolism of Klebsiella pneumoniae. Journal of Biotechnology 56, 135–142.
- Nesartnam, S.T., Wase, D.A.J. & Blakebrough, N. 1982 The susceptibility to ultrasonic disintegration of Klebsiella pneumoniae NCTC 418. European Journal of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 15, 56–58.
- Pflugmacher, U. & Gottschalk, G. 1994 Development of an immobilized cell reactor for the production of 1,3-propanediol by Citrobacter freundii. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 41, 313–316.
- Skraly, F.A., Lytle, B.L. & Cameron, D.C. 1998 Construction and characterization of a 1,3-propanediol operon. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 64, 98–105.
- Solomon, B.O., Zeng, A.P., Biebl, H., Ejiofor, A.O., Posten C. & Deckwer, W.D. 1994 Effects of substrate limitation on product distribution and H2/CO2ratio in Klebsiella pneumoniae during anaerobic fermentation of glycerol. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 42, 222–226.
- Totaya, T., Ushio, K., Fukui, S. & Hogenkamp, H.P.C. 1977 Studies on the mechanism of the adenosylcobalamin-dependent diol dehydrase reaction by the use of analogs of the coenzyme. Journal of Biological Chemistry 252, 963–970.
- Zeng, A.P., Ross, A., Biebl, H., Tag, C., Günzel, B. & Deckwer, W.D. 1994 Multiple product inhibition and growth modelling of Clostridium butyricum and Klebsiella pneumoniae in glycerol fermentation. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 44, 902–911.
- 1,3-Propanediol oxidoreductase production with Klebsiella pneumoniae DSM2026
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 19, Issue 7 , pp 659-663
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Klebsiella pneumoniae
- propanediol oxidoreductase
- Industry Sectors