Microbiological quality assessment of Moroccan camel's milk and identification of predominating lactic acid bacteria
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Samples of camel's milk collected from different zones of Morocco were analysed to evaluate their microbiological quality and to identify predominating lactic acid bacteria (LAB). The following average colony-forming units (c.f.u.s) of aerobic total count, enterococci, faecal and total coliforms, LAB, yeasts,Staphylococcus aureus and spores of sulphite-reducing clostridia were recorded: 6.2 × 107, 2.9 × 104, 1.6 × 104, 7.0 × 106, 1.0 × 107, 3.8 × 104, 1.3 × 105 and 6.0 c.f.u./ml, respectively. The enumeration results were markedly variable and coliforms were not detected in 1 ml of some samples. Bacteriological identification revealed a definite dominance of enterococci with Enterococcus faecalis as the main representative species. Besides Enterococcus, other genera including Pediococcus (28.2%), Streptococcus (4%), Lactococcus (8%) and Leuconostoc(1%) were isolated on de Man, Rogosa and Sharp (MRS) agar.
- Al Mohizea, I.S. 1994 Microbial quality of camel's milk in Riyadh markets. Egyptian Journal of Dairy Science 14, 469–487.
- Barbour, E.K., Nabbut, N.H., Frerisch, W.M. & Al-Nakhli, H.M. 1984 Inhibition of pathogenic bacteria by camel's milk: relation to whey lysozyme and stage of lactation. Journal of Food Protection 47, 838–840.
- Cordash, R.A. & Insalata, N.F. 1978 Incidence and pathological significance of Escherichia coli and other sanitary indicator organisms in food and water. Food Technology 32, 54–58.
- Costello, M., Dougherty, R.H. & Kang, D.H. 2001 The relationship between standard plate counts and coliform counts in raw milk. Dairy, Food and Environmental Sanitation 21, 749–751.
- Gelsomino, R., Vancanneyt, M., Cogan, T.M., Condon, S. & Swings, J. 2002 Source of enterococci in a farmhouse raw-milk cheese. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 68, 3560–3565.
- Harrigan, W.F. & McCance, M.E. 1976 A simple key for the identification of Gram-positive bacteria. In Laboratory Methods in Food and Dairy Microbiology, ed. Harrigan, W.F. pp. 258–276. London: Academic press. ISBN0–12–326040.
- Manero, A. & Blanch, A.R. 1999 Identification of Enterococcus spp. with a biochemical key. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 65, 4425–4430.
- Obeid, A.I., Bagadi, H.O. & Mukhtar, M.M. 1996 Mastitis in Camelus dromedarius and the somatic cell content of camels' milk. Research in Veterinary Science 61, 55–58.
- Microbiological quality assessment of Moroccan camel's milk and identification of predominating lactic acid bacteria
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 19, Issue 6 , pp 645-648
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Aerobic total count
- camel's milk
- lactic acid bacteria
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institut Agronomique et Vétérinaire Hasssan II, Département des Sciences Alimentaires et Nutritionnelles, BP 6202, Institut, 10101, Rabat, Maroc; Tel.:
- 2. Ministère de l'Agriculture, du Développement Rural et des Eaux et Forêts, Direction de Protection Animale, Oued Eddahab, Maroc