Production of acetone, butanol and ethanol by Clostridium beijerinckii BA101 and in situ recovery by gas stripping
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We examined the effect of gas-stripping on the in situ removal of acetone, butanol, and ethanol (ABE) from batch reactor fermentation broth. The mutant strain (Clostridium beijerinckii BA101) was not affected adversely by gas stripping. The presence of cells in the fermentation broth affected the selectivities of ABE. A considerable improvement in the productivity and yield was recorded in this work in comparison with the non-integrated process. In an integrated process of ABE fermentation-recovery using C. beijerinckii BA101, ABE productivities and yield were improved up to 200 and 118%, respectively, as compared to control batch fermentation data. In a batch reactor C. beijerinckii BA101 utilized 45.4 g glucose l−1 and produced 17.7 g total ABE l−1, while in the integrated process it utilized 161.7 g glucose l−1 and produced total ABE of 75.9 g l−1. In the integrated process, acids were completely converted to solvents when compared to the non-integrated process (batch fermentation) which contained residual acids at the end of fermentation. In situ removal of ABE by gas stripping has been reported to be one of the most important techniques of solvent removal. During these studies we were able to maintain the ABE concentration in the fermentation broth below toxic levels.
- Annous, B.A. & Blaschek, H.P. 1991 Isolation and characterization of Clostridium acetobutylicum mutants with enhanced amylolytic activity. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 57, 2544–2548.
- Chen, C.K. & Blaschek, H.P. 1999 Acetate enhances solvent production and prevents degeneration in Clostridium beijerinckii BA101. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 52, 170–173.
- Ennis, B.M., Marshall, C.T., Maddox, I.S. & Paterson, A.H.J. 1986 Continuous product recovery by in situ gas stripping/condensation during solvent production from whey permeate using Clostridium acetobutylicum. Biotechnology Letters 8, 725–730.
- Ennis, B.M., Qureshi, N. & Maddox, I.S. 1987 Inline toxic product removal during solvent production by continuous fermentation using immobilized Clostridium acetobutylicum. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 9, 672–675.
- Evans, P.J. & Wang, H.W. 1988 Enhancement of butanol fermentation by Clostridium acetobutylicum in the presence of decanol-oleyl alcohol mixed extractants. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 54, 1662–1667.
- Formanek, J., Mackie, R. & Blaschek, H.P. 1997 Enhanced butanol production by Clostridium beijerinckii BA101 grown in semidefined P2 medium containing 6 percent maltodextrin or glucose. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 63, 2306–2310.
- Garcia, A., Iannotti, E.L. & Fischer, J.L. 1986 Butanol fermentation liquor production and separation by reverse osmosis. Biotechnology & Bioengineering 28, 785–791.
- Groot, W.J., van der Lans, R.G.J.M. & Luyben, K.Ch.A.M. 1989 Batch and continuous butanol fermentation with free cells: integration with product recovery by gas stripping. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 32, 305–308.
- Groot, W.J., van der Lans, R.G.J.M. & Luyben, K.Ch.A.M. 1992 Technologies for butanol recovery integrated with fermentations. Process Biochemistry 27, 61–75.
- Groot, W.J., van den Oever, C.E. & Kossen, N.W.F. 1984 Pervaporation for simultaneous product recovery in the butanol/isopropanol batch fermentation. Biotechnology Letters 6, 709–714.
- Jesse, T.W., Ezeji, T.C., Qureshi, N. & Blaschek, H.P. 2002 Production of butanol from starch based packing-peanuts and agricultural waste. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 29, 117–123.
- Maddox, I.S. 1988 The acetone-butanol-ethanol fermentation: recent progress in technology. Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Reviews 7, 189–220.
- Maddox, I.S., Qureshi, N. & Roberts-Thomson, K. 1995 Production of acetone-butanol-ethanol from concentrated substrates using Clostridium acetobutylicum in an integrated fermentation-product removal process. Process Biochemistry 30, 209–215.
- Mollah, A.H. & Stuckey, D.C. 1993 Feasibility of in-situ gas stripping for continuous acetone-butanol fermentation by Clostridium acetobutylicum. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 15, 200–207.
- Nielson, L., Larsson, M., Holst, O. & Mattiasson, B. 1988 Adsorbents for extractive bioconversion applied to the acetone butanol fermentation. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 28, 335–339.
- Qureshi, N. & Blaschek, H.P. 1999a Production of acetone butanol ethanol (ABE) by a hyper-producing mutant strain of Clostridium beijerinckii BA101 and recovery by pervaporation. Biotechnology Progress 15, 594–602.
- Qureshi, N. & Blaschek, H.P. 1999b Butanol recovery from model solutions/fermentation broth by pervaporation: evaluation of membrane performance. Biomass & Bioenergy 17, 175–184.
- Qureshi, N. & Blaschek, H.P. 2000 Butanol production using Clostridium beijerinckii BA101 hyper-butanol producing mutant strain and recovery by pervaporation. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 84, 225–235.
- Qureshi, N. & Blaschek, H.P. 2001 Recovery of butanol from fermentation broth by gas stripping. Renewable Energy 22, 557–564.
- Qureshi, N. & Maddox, I.S. 2003 Production of butanol from concentrated lactose/whey permeate using Clostridium acetobutylicum and removal by perstratction. 25th Biotechnology Conference for Fuels and Chemicals, Breckenridge, CO, USA. May 4–7.
- Qureshi, N. & Maddox, I.S. 1991 Integration of continuous production and recovery of solvents from whey permeate: use of immobilized cells of Clostridium acetobutylicum in fluidized bed bioreactor coupled with gas stripping. Bioprocess Engineering 6, 63–69.
- Qureshi, N., Maddox, I.S. & Friedl, A. 1992 Application of continuous substrate feeding to the ABE fermentation: relief of product inhibition using extraction, perstraction, stripping, and pervaporation. Biotechnology Progress 8, 382–390.
- Qureshi, N., Meagher, M.M. & Hutkins, R.W. 1999 Recovery of butanol from model solutions and fermentation broth using a silicalite/silicone membrane. Journal of Membrane Science 158, 115–125.
- Qureshi, N., Meagher, M.M., Huang, J. & Hutkins, R.W. 2001 Acetone butanol ethanol (ABE) recovery by pervaporation using silicalite-silicone composite membrane from fed-batch reactor of Clostridium acetobutylicum. Journal of Membrane Science 187, 93–102.
- Production of acetone, butanol and ethanol by Clostridium beijerinckii BA101 and in situ recovery by gas stripping
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 19, Issue 6 , pp 595-603
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Acetone butanol ethanol (ABE)
- Clostridium beijerinckii BA101
- gas stripping
- integrated process
- Industry Sectors