The effect of particle size and electrical charge on macrophage-osteoclast differentiation and bone resorption
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In aseptic loosening, there is commonly periprosthetic bone loss and a heavy macrophage infiltrate in response to biomaterial wear particles generated from the implant materials. Macrophages which have phagocytosed wear particles are known to be capable of differentiation into bone resorbing osteoclasts. In this investigation we determine the role of particle size and particle charge on this process. Mouse monocytes and macrophages were co-cultured with osteoblast-like UMR106 cells and 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 in the presence or the absence of (i) various sizes of latex beads (0.1, 1, 10 and 100 μm) and (ii) uncharged, positively- or negatively-charged sephadex beads of uniform shape and composition. The extent of osteoclast differentiation by monocytes or foreign body macrophages was determined by the expression of the osteoclast-associated enzyme tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase and lacunar bone resorption. No significant difference in the extent of osteoclast formation and bone resorption was noted in response to particle size. Osteoclast formation was also not significantly different in the presence of positively/negatively charged and uncharged particles. These findings indicate that osteoclast formation is not significantly influenced by particle characteristics, such as particle size. They also add support to the hypothesis that macrophage involvement in periprosthetic osteolysis is not dependent on particle phagocytosis and that it may be induced by particle contact.
- T. M. Wright and S. B. Goodman (eds), “Implant Wear: The Future of Total Joint Replacements” (Oakbrook, AAOS, 1995).
- W. J. Maloney, J. Bone Joint Surg. 77A (1995) 1448.
- P. A. Revell, in “Current Trends in Pathology”, edited by C. Berry (Berlin, Springer-Verlag: 1982) p. 73.
- S. B. Goodman, R. C. Chris and S. S. Chiou, Clin. Orthop. 244 (1989) 182.
- W. A. Jiranek, M. Machado, M. Jasty, D. Jervevar, H. J. Wolfe, S. R. Goldring, M. J. Goldberg and W. H. Harris, J. Bone Joint Surg. 75A (1993) 863.
- T. T. Glant, J. J. Jacobs, K. Mikecz, J. Yao, S. Chubinskaja, J. M. Williams, R. L. Urban, A. S. Shahbang, S. H. Lee and D. R. Sumner, Am. J. Ther. 3 (1996) 27.
- J. Chiba, H. E. Rubash, K. J. Kim and Y. Iwaki, Clin. Orthop. 300 (1994) 304.
- A. S. Shahbang, J. J. Jacobs, J. Black, J. O. Galante and T. T. Glant, J. Arthroplasty 10 (1995) 498.
- D. W. Murray and N. Rushton, J. Bone Joint Surg. 72B (1990) 988.
- J. Quinn, C. J. Joyner, J. T. Triffitt and N. A. Athanasou, ibid. 74B (1992) 652.
- R. Pandey, J. Quinn, C. Joyner, J. T. Triffitt and N. A. Athanasou, Ann. Rheum. Dis. 55 (1996) 388.
- A. Sabokbar, R. Pandey, J. Quinn and N. A. Athanasou, Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 184 (1998) 31.
- A. Sabokbar, Y. Fujikawa, D. W. Murray and N. A. Athanasou, J. Bone Joint Surg. 79B (1997) 129.
- Y. Fujikawa, J. M. W. Quinn, A. Sabokbar, J. O'D. Mcgee and N. A. Athanasou, Endocrinology 139 (1996) 4058.
- A. Sabokbar, Y. Fujikawa, S. Neale, D. Murray and N. A. Athanasou, Ann. Rheum. Dis. 56 (1997) 414.
- S. D. Neale, D. R. Haynes, D. W. Howie, D. W. Murray and N. A. Athanasou, J. Arthroplasty 15 (2000) 654.
- I. Itonaga, A. Sabokbar, D. W. Murray and N. A. Athanasou, Ann. Rheum. Dis. 59 (2000) 26.
- H. Gelb, H. R. Schumacher, J. Cuckler and D. G. Baker, J. Orthop. Res. 12 (1994) 83.
- A. S. Shanbhang, J. J. Jacobs, J. Black, J. O. Galante and T. T. Glant, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 28 (1994) 81.
- W. J. Maloney, R. L. Smith, D. Hvene, T. P. Schmalzried and H. Rubash, J. Bone Joint Surg. 76A (1994) 1664.
- A. S. Shanbhang, J. J. Jacobs, T. Glant, J. L. Gilbert, J. Black and J. O. Galante, ibid. 76B (1994) 60.
- E. Ingham and J. Fisher, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 214 (2000) 21.
- T. Suda, N. Udagawa, I. Nakamura, C. Miyaura and N. Takahashi, Bone 17 (1995) 87S.
- N. A. Athanasou, J. Bone Joint Surg. 78A (1996) 1096.
- M. Krukowski, R. A. Shively, P. Osdoby and B. L. Eppley, Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 48 (1990) 468.
- R. D. Galiano, R. W. Jyung, M. Krukowski and T. A. Mustoe, Ann. Plast. Surg. 36 (1996) 608.
- W. Brodner, P. Bitzan, V. Meisinger, A. Kaider, F. Gottsauner-Wolf and R. Kotz, J. Bone Joint Surg. Br. 79 (1997) 316.
- H. G. Willert, G. H. H. Buchhorn, D. Göbel, G. Köster, S. Schaffner, R. Schnk and M. Semlitsch, Clin. Orthop. 329S (1996) S160.
- C. Minkin, Calcif. Tissue Int. 34 (1982) 285.
- J. M. Austyn and S. Gordon, Eur. J. Immunol. 11 (1981) 805.
- H. C. Amstutz, P. Campbell, N. Kossovsky and I. C. Clarke, Clin. Orthop. Rel. Res. 276 (1992) 7.
- M. Jasty, C. Bragdon, W. Jiranek, H. Chandler, W. Maloney and W. H. Harris, ibid. 308 (1994) 111.
- J. H. Herman, W. G. Sowder, D. Anderson, A. M. Appel and C. N. Hopson, J. Bone Joint Surg. 71A (1989) 1530.
- S. M. Horowitz, T. L. Gautsch, C. G. Frondoza and L. Riley, J. Orthop. Res. 9 (1991) 406.
- T. R. Green, J. Fisher, M. Stone, B. M. Wroblewski and E. Ingham, Biomaterials 19 (1998) 2297.
- T. T. Glant and J. Jacobs, J. Orthop. Res. 12 (1994) 720.
- J. B. Matthews, T. R. Green, M. H. Stone, B. M. Wroblewski, J. Fisher and E. Ingham, Biomaterials 21 (2000) 2033.
- A. A. Ragab, R. Van De Motter, S. A. Lavish, V. M. Goldberg, J. T. Ninomiya, C. R. Carlin and E. M. Greenfield, J. Orthop. Res. 17 (1999) 803.
- T. R. Green, J. Fisher, J. B. Matthews, M. Stone and E. Ingham, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 53 (2000) 490.
- I. Voronov, J. P. Santerre, A. Hinek, J. W. Callahan, J. Sandhu and E. L. Boynton, ibid. 39 (1998) 40.
- Y. Nakashima, D. H. Sun, M. C. Trindale, W. J. Maloney, S. B. Goodman, D. J. Schurman and R. L. Smith, J. Bone Joint Surg. 81A (1999) 603.
- E. M. Schwarz, A. P. Lu, J. J. Goater, E. B. Benz, G. Kollias, R. N. Rosier, J. E. Puzas and R. J. O'Keefe, J. Orthop. Res. 18 (2000) 472.
- W. Wang, D. J. Ferguson, J. M. Quinn, A. H. Simpson and N. A. Athanasou, J. Bone Joint Surg. 79B (1997) 849.
- W. Wang, D. J. Ferguson, J. M. Quinn, A. H. Simpson and N. A. Athanasou, J. Pathol. 182 (1997) 92.
- The effect of particle size and electrical charge on macrophage-osteoclast differentiation and bone resorption
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 9 , pp 731-738
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors