Disruption of plE2, the gene for the E2 subunit of the plastid pyruvate dehydrogenase complex, in Arabidopsis causes an early embryo lethal phenotype
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The pyruvate dehydrogenase multi-enzyme complex is the main source of acetyl-CoA formation in the plastids of plants and is composed of multiple copies of four different subunits, E1α, E1β, E2, and E3. A T-DNA insertion into the gene for the plastidic E2 (dihydrolipoyl acetyltransferase) subunit, plE2, of the complex in Arabidopsis destroys the expression of that gene. The resulting mutation has no apparent phenotype in the heterozygous state, but the homozygous mutation is lethal. Haploid sperm and eggs that contain only the disrupted plE2 gene function normally resulting in the formation of an embryo that is homozygous for the mutation. This embryo only develops to an early stage before the development arrests resulting in an early embryo-lethal phenotype. While the mutation could not be complemented with the cDNA for the plE2 gene under control of the 35S, the AtSERK1, or the napin promoter, it could be complemented using the endogenous plE2 promoter to drive expression of the plE2 cDNA. This verifies the essential nature of the plastidic pyruvate dehydrogenase complex and its role in embryo formation.
- Bao, X., Pollard, M. and Ohlrogge, J. 1998. The biosynthesis of erucic acid in developing embryos of Brassica rapa. Plant Physiol. 118: 183-190.
- Behal, R.H. and Oliver, D.J. 1999. A second gene encoding the plastidic pyruvate dehydrogenase β-subunit in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiol. 121: 312-313.
- Behal, R.H., Lin, M., Back, S. and Oliver, D.J. 2002. Role of acetylcoenzyme A synthetase in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 402: 259-267.
- Clough, S.J. and Bent, A.F. 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J. 16: 735-743.
- Drea, S.C., Mould, R.M., Hibberd, J.M., Gray, J.C. and Kavanagh, T.A. 2001. Tissue-specific and developmental-specific expression of an Arabidopsis thaliana gene encoding the lipoamide dehydrogenase component of the plastid pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. Plant Mol. Biol. 46: 705-715.
- Hecht, V., Vielle-Calzada, J.P., Hartog, M.V., Schmidt, E.D., Boutilier, K., Grossniklaus, U. and de Vries, S.C. 2001. The Arabidopsis SOMATIC EMBRYOGENESIS RECEPTOR KINASE 1 gene is expressed in developing ovules and embryos and enhances embryogenic competence in culture. Plant Physiol. 127: 803-816.
- Hoglund, A.-S., Rodin, J., Larsson, E. and Rask, L. 1992. Distribution of napin and cruciferin in developing rape seed embryos. Plant Physiol. 98: 509-515.
- Johnston, M.L., Leuthy, M.H., Miernyk, J.A. and Randall, D.D. 1997. Cloning and molecular analyses of the Arabidopsis thaliana plastid pyruvate dehydrogenase subunits. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1321: 200-206.
- Johnston, M.L., Meirnyk, J.A. and Randall, D.D. 2000. Import, processing, and assembly of the β-and β-subunits of chloroplast pyruvate dehydrogenase. Planta 211: 72-76.
- Kang, F. and Rawsthorne, S. 1994. Starch and fatty acid synthesis in plastids from developing embryos of oilseed rape. Plant J. 6: 795-805.
- Kang, F. and Rawsthorne, S. 1996. Metabolism of glucose-6-phosphate and utilization of multiple metabolites for fatty acid synthesis by plastids from developing oilseed rape embryos. Planta 199: 321-327.
- Ke, J., Choi, J.-K., Smith, M., Horner, H.T., Nikolau, B.J. and Wurtele, E.S. 1997. Structure of the CAC1 gene and in situ characterization of its expression: the Arabidopsis thaliana gene coding for the biotin-containing subunit of the plastidic acetylcoenzyme A carboxylase. Plant Physiol. 113: 357-365.
- Ke, J., Behal, R.H., Back, S.L., Nikolau, B.J., Wurtele, E.S. and Oliver, D.J. 2000. The role of pyruvate dehydrogenase and acetyl-coenzyme A synthetase in fatty acid synthesis in developing Arabidopsis seeds. Plant Physiol. 123: 497-508.
- Lutziger, I. and Oliver, D.J. 2000. Molecular proof of a unique lipoamide dehydrogenase in plastids: analysis of plastidic lipoamide dehydrogenase from Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Lett. 484: 12-16.
- Meinke, D.W. 1985. Embryo-lethal mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana: analysis of mutants with a wide range of lethal phases. Theor. Appl. Genet. 69: 543-552.
- Meinke, D.W. 1995. Molecular genetics of plant embryogenesis. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 46: 369-394.
- Mooney, B.P., Miernyk, J.A. and Randall, D.D. 1999. Cloning and characterization of the dihydrolipoamide S-acetyltransferase subunit of the plastid pyruvate dehydrogenase complex (E2) from Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 120: 443-452.
- Mooney, B.P., Miernyk, J.A. and Randall, D.D. 2002. The complex fate of β-ketoacids. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 53: 357-375.
- Patton, D.A., Schetter, A.L., Franzmann, L.H., Nelson, K., Ward, E.R. and Meinke, D.W. 1998. An embryo-defective mutant of Arabidopsis disrupted in the final step of biotin synthesis. Plant Physiol. 116: 935-946.
- Schneider, T., Dinkins, R., Robinson, K., Shellhammer, J. and Meinke, D.W. 1989. An embryo-lethal mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana is a biotin auxotroph. Dev. Biol. 131: 161-167.
- Shellhammer, J. and Meinke, D. 1990. Arrested embryos from the bio1 auxotroph of Arabidopsis thaliana contain reduced levels of biotin. Plant Physiol. 93: 1162-1167.
- Sun, J., Ke, J., Johnson, J.L., Nikolau, B.J. and Wurtele, E.S. 1997. Biochemical and molecular biological characterization of CAC2, the Arabidopsis thaliana gene coding for the biotin carboxylase subunit of the plastidic acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase. Plant Physiol. 115: 1371-1383.
- Sunilkumar, G., Mohr, L., Lopata-Finch, E., Emani, C. and Rathore, K.S. 2002. Developmental and tissue-specific expression of CaMV 35S promoter in cotton as revealed by GFP. Plant Mol. Biol. 50: 463-474.
- Thelan, J.J., Muszynski M.G., Miernyk J.A. and Randall, D.D. 1998. Molecular analysis of two pyruvate dehydrogenase kinases from maize. J. Biol. Chem. 273: 26618-26623.
- Disruption of plE2, the gene for the E2 subunit of the plastid pyruvate dehydrogenase complex, in Arabidopsis causes an early embryo lethal phenotype
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 52, Issue 4 , pp 865-872
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Arabidopsis mutations
- dihydrolipoyl acetyltransferase
- E2 subunit
- lipid synthesis
- pyruvate dehydrogenase complex
- T-DNA knockout
- Industry Sectors