Judgments of Processing Load in Japanese: The Effect of NP-ga Sequences
- Keiko Uehara
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study reports an effect of more than two consecutive noun phrases (NPs) with the same nominative case marker, -ga, on ratings of processability for Japanese multiply center-embedded sentences. The findings imply that the processing overload theory of Babyonyshev and Gibson (1995) requires modification. Although that theory sets the critical limit (beyond which parser breakdown occurs) at four processing load units (PLUs), it appears that the parser is overloaded by anything over five PLUs. where a three NP-ga sequence contributes roughly an additional PLU to processing cost. The evidence also suggests that inherently cased NPs are not cost free.
- Babyonyshev, M., Gibson, E. Processing overload in Japanese. In: Schütze, C., Ganger, J., Broiler, K. eds. (1995) Papers on language processing and acquisition. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Barnes, J. (1995) Letters from London. Picador, London
- De Vincenzi, M. (1991) Syntactic parsing strategies in Italian. Kluer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands
- Inoue, A. (1991). A comparative study of parsing in English and Japanese. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The University of Connecticut.
- Kuno, S. (1973) The structure of the Japanese language. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Kuno, S. (1978) Danwa-no bunpoo. Taishuukan, Tokyo
- Lewis, R. L. (1993). An architecturally-based theory of human sentence comprehension. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Longobardi, G. (1980) Remarks on infinitives: A case for a filter. Journal of Italian Syntax 1/2: pp. 101-155
- Miyagawa, S. Case, agreement, and ga/no conversion. In: Choi, S. eds. (1994) Japanese/Korean Linguistica. CSLI, Stanford, CA.
- Nagai, N. Constraints on topics and their gaps: From a parsing perspective. In: Mazuka, R., Nagai, N. eds. (1995) Japanese sentence processing. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ
- Ookuma, S. (1991) Saishin bunshoo-no tsukurikata jitsureijiten. Shufu-to-seikatsu-sha, Tokyo
- Rosenbaum, H., & Kim, K. (1976). Factors affecting comprehension in Korean and English self-embedded structures. Working Papers on Language Universals, 20, 43–57.
- Ross, J. R. (1973) Double-Ing. Linguistic Inquiry 3: pp. 61-86
- Stabler, E. P. The finite connectivity of linguistic structure. In: Clifton, C., Frazier, L., Rayner, K. eds. (1994) Perspectives on sentence processing. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ
- Uehara, K. (1996, March). The effect of-ga sequences on judged processing load in Japanese. Unpublished manuscript, summary of poster, presented at the 9th Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing, New York.
- Judgments of Processing Load in Japanese: The Effect of NP-ga Sequences
Journal of Psycholinguistic Research
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 255-263
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Keiko Uehara (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Graduate Center of The City University of New York, New York, New York, 10036
- 2. Program in Linguistics, The Graduate School and University Center, The City University of New York, 33 West 42nd St., New York, New York, 10036-8099