Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) synthesis in fed-batch culture of Ralstonia eutropha with phosphate limitation under different glucose concentrations
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) (PHB) was produced by fed-batch cultures of Ralstonia eutropha with phosphate limitation under different glucose concentrations. When glucose was kept at 2.5 g l−1, cell growth and PHB synthesis were limited due to the shortage of carbon source but a higher PHB content occurred in the cell-growth stage. This shows that a low glucose concentration is favorable for PHB accumulation in R. eutropha. PHB obtained with glucose at 9 g l−1 is 1.6 times that obtained with 40 g l−1. When glucose was in the range of 9 to 40 g l−1, PHB concentration and productivity decreased significantly with the increase of glucose concentration. The highest PHB productivity was obtained with glucose at 9 g l−1.
- Braunegg G, Sonnleitner B, Lafferty RM (1978) A rapid gas chromatographic method for the determination of poly-?-hydroxybutyric acid in microbial biomass. Eur. J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 6: 29–37.
- Choi JI, Lee SY (1999) High-level production of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) by fed-batch culture of recombinant Escherichia coli. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 65: 4363–4368.
- Kim BS, Lee SC, Lee SY, Chang HN, Chang YK, Woo SI (1994) Production of poly(3-hydroxybutyric-co-3-hydroxyvaleric acid) by fed-batch culture of Alcaligenes eutrophus with substrate control using on-line glucose analyzer. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 16: 556–561.
- Kobayashi G, Tanaka K, Itoh H, Tsuge T, Sonomoto K, Ishizaki A (2000) Fermentative production of P(3HB-co-3HV) from propionic acid by Alcaligenes eutrophus in fed-batch culture with pH-stat continuous substrate feeding method. Biotechnol. Lett. 22: 1067–1069.
- Lee SY, Chang HN (1995) Production of poly(hydroxyalkanoic acid). Adv. Biochem. Eng. 52: 27–58.
- Ryu HW, Cho KS, Kim BS, Chang YK, Chang HN, Shim HJ (1999) Mass production of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) by fed-batch cultures of Ralstonia eutropha with nitrogen and phosphate limitation. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 9: 751–756.
- Shang L, Do JH, Fan DD, Jiang M, Chang HN (2003a) Optimization of propionic acid feeding for production of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) in fed-batch of Ralstonia eutropha. Chin. J. Chem. Eng. 11: 220–223.
- Shang L, Jiang M, Ryu CH, Chang HN, Cho SH, Lee JW (2003b) Inhibitory effect of carbon dioxide on the fed-batch culture of Ralstonia eutropha: CO2 pulse injection and autogenous CO2 methods. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 83: 312–320.
- Steinbüchel A, Füchtenbusch B (1998) Bacterial and other biological systems for polyester production. Trends Biotechnol. 16: 419–427.
- Stephanopoulos GN, Aristidou AA, Nielson J (1998) Metabolic Engineering: Principles and Methodologies. San Diego: Academic Press.
- Xu B, Jahic J, Blomasten G, Enfors S-O (1999) Glucose over-flow metabolism and mixed-acid fermentation in aerobic largescale fed-batch processes with Escherichia coli. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 51: 564–571.
- Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) synthesis in fed-batch culture of Ralstonia eutropha with phosphate limitation under different glucose concentrations
Volume 25, Issue 17 , pp 1415-1419
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- fed-batch fermentation
- glucose concentration
- Ralstonia eutropha
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 373-1 Guseong-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 305-701, Korea
- 2. Department of Chemical Engineering, Northwest University, Xian, 710069, China
- 3. College of Pharmacy and Life Science, Nanjing University of Technology, Nanjing, 210009, China