Magnetic Temperature Standards for TG
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Magnetic transition temperatures, Tc, are measured by simultaneous TM/DTA for Alumel, cobalt, nickel, and three alloys of Ni and Co. The observed values of Tc are corrected using the values for the melting temperatures of pure metals used to define the International Temperature Scale. These corrections are based on the simultaneous melting of these pure metals alongside, but separate from, the magnetic sample. Nine investigators, using a wide variety of instrumentation, have made these measurements utilizing a standard protocol. The results are compared for several heating rates. It is planned to make these same magnetic materials ultimately available to the public for calibration of temperature of their TG instruments.
- S. D. Norem, M. J. O'Neill, and A. P. Gray, Thermochim. Acta, 1 (1970) 29. CrossRef
- P. K. Gallagher and F. Schrey, Thermochim. Acta, 1 (1970) 465. CrossRef
- P. D. Garn, O. Menis and H. G. Wiedemann, Thermal Analysis, Vol. 1, H. G. Wiedemann (Ed.), Birkhauser Verlag, Basel 1980, p. 201.
- ICTA Certified Reference Materials for Thermogravimetry GM-761, N.I.S.T., Gaithersburg, MD.
- T. J. Quinn, Temperature, Academic Press, New York, NY 1990, Capt. 2.
- P. K. Gallagher, Z. Zhong, E. L. Charsley, S. A. Mikhail, M. Todoki, K. Tanaguchi and R. L. Blaine, J. Thermal Anal., 40 (1993) 1423.
- B. J. Weddle, S. A. Robbins and P. K. Gallagher, Pure Applied Chem., 67 (1995) 1843.
- E. M. Gundlach and P. K. Gallagher, J. Therm. Anal. Cal., 49 (1997) 1013.
- P. K. Gallagher and E. M. Gyorgy, Thermochim. Acta, 109 (1986) 193. CrossRef
- S. M. Sarge and E. Kaisersberger, to be published.
- Magnetic Temperature Standards for TG
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 72, Issue 3 , pp 1109-1116
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- calibration of temperature
- magnetic temperature standards
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Magnetic Task Group, ICTAC Committee for Standardization, 1409 South Way Court, Salem, SC, 29676, USA
- 2. TA Instruments, 109 Lukens Dr., New Castle, DE, 19720, USA
- 3. Huddersfield University Queensgate, Hudersfield, HD1 3DH, UK
- 4. Chemistry Laboratory, Faculty of School Education, Hiroshima University, Hgashi-Hiroshima, 739-8524, Japan
- 5. N. Shore Col of Sony Inst, Atsugi, Kanagawa, 243-8501, Japan
- 6. Rigaku Co Ltd, Akishima, 196-8666, Japan
- 7. Mettler Toledo, 130 Executive Dr., Suite 2A, Newark, DE, 19702, USA
- 8. Fed. Institute Mat. Res. Testing, Rudower Ch. 5, 12489, Berlin, Germany
- 9. Tokyo Met. University, Minami-Osawa Hachioji, Tokyo, 192-0397, Japan