Density Determination of Liquid Copper, Nickel, and Their Alloys
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A method for the determination of the density of electromagnetically levitated metallic liquids has been developed. This method employs an enlarged beam of parallel laser light to produce a shadow image of the sample. The shadow is recorded by a digital CCD-camera, and the images are analyzed using an edge detection algorithm. The circumference is fitted by Legendre polynomials that can be used for calculations of the volume of the sample. The method has been tested successfully on various alloys of copper-nickel (Ni x Cu y ), as well as on the pure elements, Cu and Ni. Densities were measured for each sample at different temperatures below and above the melting point, and a linear behavior was observed. At the melting point the densities for copper and nickel were 7.9 and 7.93g⋅cm−3, respectively. For T=1270°C liquid copper has a density of 7.75g⋅cm−3 which strongly increases up to roughly 8.1g⋅cm−3 if a small amount (10–40 at.%) of nickel is added to the system. For nickel concentrations larger than 50at.% the density remains nearly constant.
Supplementary Material (0)
- P. R. Sahm, I. Egry, and T. Volkmann, Schmelze, Erstarrung, Grenzflächen. (Friedr. Vieweg und Sohn, Wiesbaden, Braunschweig, 1999).
- E. Gorges, Bestimmung der Dichte und Oberflächenspannung von levitierten flüssigen Metallegierungen am Beispiel des Systems Kupfer-Nickel, Ph.D. thesis (Rheinisch-Westfälische-Technische Hochschule Aachen, 1996).
- A. E. El-Mehaury and R. G. Ward, Trans. Met. Soc. auME 227:1226(1963).
- S. Y. Shiraushi and R. G. Ward, Can. Met. Quat. 3:117(1964).
- A. Sauto and S. Watanabe, Nipp. Kinz. Gakk. 35:554(1971).
- S. K. Chung, D. B. Thiessen, and W. K. Rhim, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 67:3175(1996).
- W. K. Rhim, S. K. Chung, D. Barber, K. F. Man, G. Gutt, A. Rulison, and R. E. Spjut, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 64:2961(1993).
- T. B. Massalski, Binary Alloy Phase Diagram (American Society for Metals, Materials Park, Ohio, 1986).
- E. Hornbogen and H. Warlimont, Metallkunde (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1991).
- I. Egry, G. Lohöfer, and S. Sauerland, Int. J. Thermophys. 14:573(1993).
- International Organization for Standardization, Rolling Bearings-Radial Bearings-Tolerances, ISO 492 (2002).
- S. Krishnan, G. P. Hansen, R. H. Hauge, and J. L. Margrave, High Temp. Sci. 29:17(1990).
- X. Tian, X. Chen, and A. G. Ilinsky, Sci. in China, Ser. A-Math., Phys., Astronomy 43:1301(2000).
- T. Richardsen, G. Lohöfer, and I. Egry, Int. J. Thermophys. 23:1207(2002).
About this Article
- Density Determination of Liquid Copper, Nickel, and Their Alloys
International Journal of Thermophysics
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 1155-1170
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- electromagnetic levitation
- thermal expansion
- thermophysical properties
- Industry Sectors