Nitrogen oxide emissions following wetting of dry soils in forest and pastures in Rondônia, Brazil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Rains at the end of the dry season can trigger increases in emissions of nitric oxide (NO) and nitrous oxide from forest and pasture soils in the Amazon Basin. The relative importance of the rain-stimulated emissions in the seasonal and annual budgets of these nitrogen gases for forests and pastures in the western Amazon is not well established. We measured soil emissions of NO and N2O from a forest and two pastures, 11 and 26 years old, after a simulated rain event. Wetting the soil resulted in very small pulses of NO or N2O from forest soils and no significant NO or N2O pulses from the pastures. We estimated that in the forest, the amounts of each gas emitted from pulses during the dry to wet transition period represented 3.4% of the NO and 1.8% of the N2O dry-season emissions, but amounted to less than 2% of the annual emissions of either gas. Total N oxide emissions of 5.6 kg N/ha/yr from the forest were nearly evenly divided between NO (42%) and N2O (58%). The emissions of NO were evenly distributed over the wet and dry seasons, while over 84% N2O fluxes occurred during the wet season.
- Bastos T.X. and Diniz T.D.de A.S. 1982. Avaliação de clima do Estado de Rondônia para desenvolvimento agrícola. EMBRAPA-CPATU, Belém, Brazil, Boletim de Pesquisa 44.
- Bowden R.D., Steudler P.A., Melillo J.M. and Aber J.D. 1990. Annual nitrous oxide fluxes from temperate forest soils in the northeastern United States. J. Geophys. Res 95: 13997–14005.
- Breuer L., Papen H. and Butterbach-Bahl K. 2000. N2O emission from tropical forest soils from Australia. J. Geophys. Res 105: 26353–26367.
- Davidson E.A., Vitousek P.M., Matson P.A., Riley R., Garcia-Mendez G. and Maass J.M. 1991. Soil emissions of nitric oxide in a seasonally dry tropical forest of Mexico. J. Geophys. Res 96: 15439–15445.
- Davidson E.A. 1992. Sources of nitric oxide and nitrous oxide following wetting of dry soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 56: 95–102.
- Davidson E.A., Matson P.A., Vitousek P.M., Riley R., Dunkin K., Garcia-Mendez G. et al. 1993. Processes regulating soil emissions of NO and N2O in a seasonally dry forest. Ecology 74: 130–139.
- Davidson E.A., Bustamante M.M.C. and de Siqueira Pinto A. 2001. Emissions of nitrous oxide from soils of native and exotic ecosystems of the Amaxon and Cerrado regions of Brazil. In: Optimizing Nitrogen Management in Food and Energy Production and Environmental Protection: Proceeding of the 2nd International Nitrogen Conference on Science and Policy. The Scientific World, pp. 312–319.
- Feigl B.J., Steudler P.A. and Cerri C.C. 1995. Effects of pasture introduction on soil CO2 emissions during the dry season in the State of Rondônia, Brazil. Biogeochemistry 31: 1–14.
- García-Méndez G., Maass J.M., Matson P. and Vitousek P.M. 1991. Nitrogen transformations and nitrogen oxide flux in tropical deciduous forest in México. Oecologia 88: 362–366.
- Garcia-Montiel D.C., Steudler P.A., Piccolo M.C., Melillo J., Neill C. and Cerri C.C. 2001. Controls on soil nitrogen oxide emissions from forest and pastures in the Amazon. Global Biochem. Cycles 15: 1021–1030.
- Garcia-Montiel D.C., Neill C., Melillo J., Thomas S., Steudler P.A. and Cerri C.C. 2000. Soil phosphorus transformations following forest clearing for pasture in the Brazilian Amazon. Soil. Sci. Soc. Am. J. 64: 1792–1804.
- de Graça P.M.L. 1997. ConteÚdo de carbono na biomassa florestal da Amazônia e alterações após á queima. MS thesis, University of São Paulo, SP, Brazil.
- Keller M. and Reiners W.A. 1994. Soil-atmosphere exchange of nitrous oxide, nitric oxide, and methane under secondary succession of pasture to forest in the Atlantic lowlands of Costa Rica. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 8: 399–409.
- Melillo J., Steudler P.A., Feigl B.J., Neill C., Garcia-Montiel D.C., Piccolo M.C. et al. 2001. Nitrous oxide emissions from forest and pastures of various ages in the Brazilian Amazon. J. Geophys. Res. 24: 34,179–34,188.
- Moraes J.F.L., Volkoff B., Cerri C.C. and Bernoux M. 1995. Soil properties under Amazon forest and changes due to pasture installation in Rondônia, Brazil. Geoderma 70: 63–81.
- Neill C., Piccolo M.C., Steudler P.A., Melillo J.M., Feigl B.J. and Cerri C.C. 1995. Nitrogen dynamics in soils of forests and active pastures in the western Brazilian Amazon Basin. Soil Biol. Biochem 27: 1167–1175.
- Neill C., Melillo J.M., Steudler P.A., Cerri C.C., Moraes J.F.L., Piccolo M.C. et al. 1997. Soil carbon and nitrogen stocks following forest clearing for pasture in the southwestern Brazilian Amazon. Ecol. Applic. 7: 1216–1225.
- Piccolo M.C., Neill C. and Cerri C.C. 1994. Net nitrogen mineralization and nitrification along a tropical forest-to-pasture chronosequence. Plant and Soil 162: 61–70.
- Prather M. and Ehhalt D. 2001. Atmospheric Chemistry and Greenhouse Gases. In: Houghton J.T. and Ding Y. (eds), Climate change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 238–288.
- Reiners W.A., Bouwman A.F., Parsons W.F.J. and Keller M. 1994. Tropical rain forest conversion to pasture: changes in vegetation and soil properties. Ecol. Appl. 4: 363–377.
- Shields J.A., Paul E.A. and Lowe W.E. 1974. Factors influencing the stability of labelled microbial materials in soils. Soil Biol. Biochem. 6: 31–37.
- Sørensen L.H. 1983. The influence of stress treatments on the microbial biomass and the rate of decomposition of humified matter in soils containing different amounts of clay. Plant and soil 75: 107–119.
- Steudler P.A., Melillo J.M., Feigl B.J., Neill C., Piccolo M.C. and Cerri C.C. 1996. Consequence of forest-to-pasture conversion on CH4 fluxes in the Brazilian Amazon Basin. J. Geophys. Res 101: 18547–18554.
- Steudler P.A., Garcia-Montiel D.C., Piccolo M.C., Neill C., Melillo J.M., Feigl B.J. et al. 2002. Trace gas responses of tropical forest and pasture soils to N and P fertilization. Global Biochem. Cycles Vol. 16, No.2, 10.1029/2001GB001394.
- Unisearch Associates Inc. 1996. LMA-4 Operator's Manual. Concord, Ontario, Canada.
- Van Gestel M.R., Merckx R. and Vlassak K. 1993. Microbial biomass responses to soil drying and rewetting: the fate of fast-and slow-growing microorganisms in soils from different climates. Soil Biol. Biochem. 25: 109–123.
- Verchot L.V., Davidson E.A., Cattânio J.H., Ackerman I.L., Erickson H.E. and Keller M. 1999. Land use change and biogeochemical controls of nitroen oxide emissions from soils in eastern Amazonian. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 13: 31–46.
- Nitrogen oxide emissions following wetting of dry soils in forest and pastures in Rondônia, Brazil
Volume 64, Issue 3 , pp 319-336
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- N oxide gases
- Seasonal pulse
- Tropical forest and pastures
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Marine Biological Laboratory, The Ecosystems Center, Woods Hole, 02543, USA
- 2. Centro de Energia nuclear na Agricultura, Avenida Centenário 303, Piracicaba, CEP 13416000, Brazil