Tetrodotoxin Levels in Eggs of the Rough-Skin Newt, Taricha granulosa, Are Correlated with Female Toxicity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We quantified the amount of the neurotoxin tetrodotoxin (TTX) present in females and newly deposited eggs of the rough-skin newt, Taricha granulosa, to examine the relationship between the toxicity of an individual female and the toxicity of her eggs. We found high levels of TTX in individual eggs as well as substantial variation among clutches. Variation in the amount of TTX per egg within individual clutches was extremely low. Female skin toxicity was positively correlated with the mean egg toxicity of her clutch. Neither egg volume nor female size was significantly correlated with egg TTX levels. Tetrodotoxin stereoisomer–analog profiles were identical for females and their eggs. The presence of high levels of TTX in individual eggs coupled with the relationship between levels of TTX in female skin and levels of TTX in her eggs suggests that the TTX present in eggs of T. granulosa is maternally derived. The lack of correlation between egg size and TTX levels in individual eggs, as well as the low levels of within clutch variation, may indicate that deposition of TTX in eggs of T. granulosa is not linked to the deposition of other egg resources (e.g., lipids or other yolk components).
- Brodie, E. D., Jr. 1968. Investigations on the skin toxin of the adult roughskinned newt, Taricha granulosa. Copeia 2:307–313.
- Brodie, E. D., Jr., Formanowicz, D. R., Jr., and Brodie, E. D., III. 1978. The development of noxiousness of Bufo americanus tadpoles to aquatic insect predators. Herpetologica 34:302–306.
- Brodie, E. D., Jr., Hensel, J. L., Jr., and Johnson, J. A. 1974. Toxicity of the urodele amphibians Taricha, Notophthalmus, Cynops, and Paramesotriton (Salamandridae). Copeia 2:506–511.
- Crossland, M. R. and Alford, R. A. 1998. Evaluation of the toxicity of eggs, hatchlings and tadpoles of the introduced toad Bufo marinus (Anura: Bufonidae) to native Australian aquatic predators. Aust. J. Ecol. 23:129–137.
- Daly, J. W., Meyers, C. W., and Whittaker, N. 1987. Further classification of skin alkaloids from neotropical poison frogs (Dendrobatidae), with a general survey of toxic/noxious substances in the Amphibia. Toxicon 25:1023–1095.
- Dussourd, D. E., Ubik, K., Harvis, C., Resch, J., Meinwald, J., and Eisner, T. 1988. Biparental defensive endowment of eggs with acquired plant alkaloid in the moth Utetheisa ornatrix. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 85:5992–5996.
- Eisner, T., Eisner, M., Rossini, C., Iyengar, V., Roach, B., Benedikt, E., and Meinwald, J. 2000. Chemical defense against predation in an insect egg. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 97:1634–1639.
- Eisner, T. and Meinwald, J. 1995. The chemistry of sexual selection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:50–55.
- Gil, D., Graves, J., and Hazon, N. 1999. Male attractiveness and differential testosterone investment in zebra finch eggs. Science 286:126–128.
- Goto, T., Kishi, S., and Hirata, Y. 1965. Tetrodotoxin. Tetrahedron 21:2059–2088.
- Hanifin, C. T., Brodie, E. D., III, and Brodie, E. D., Jr. 2002. Tetrodotoxin levels of the rough-skin newt, Taricha granulosa, increase in long-term captivity. Toxicon 40:1149–1153.
- Hanifin, C. T., Yotsu-Yamashita, M., Yasumoto, T., Brodie, E. D., III, and Brodie, E. D., Jr. 1999. Toxicity of dangerous prey: Variation of tetrodotoxin levels within and among populations of the newt Taricha granulosa. J. Chem. Ecol. 25:2161–2175.
- Hashimoto, Y. 1979. Marine Toxins and Other Bioactive Marine Metabolites. Japan Scientific Societies Press, Tokyo.
- Kaplan, R. H. 1985. Maternal influences on offspring development in the California newt, Taricha torosa. Copeia 4:1028–1035.
- Kim, Y. H., Brown, G. B., Mosher, H. S., and Fuhrman, F. A. 1975. Tetrodotoxin: Occurrence in atelopid fogs of Costa Rica. Science 189:151–152.
- Komoroski, M. J. and Congdon, J. D. 2001. Scaling of nonpolar lipids with ovum size in the mole salamander, Ambystoma talpoideum. J. Herpetol. 35:517–521.
- Lande, R. and Arnold, S. J. 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226.
- Licht, L. E. 1967. Death following possible ingestion of toad eggs. Toxicon 5:141–142.
- Licht, L. E. 1968. Unpalatability and toxicity of toad eggs. Herpetologica 24:93–98.
- Licht, L. E. 1969. Palatability of Rana and Hyla eggs. Am. Midl. Nat. 82:296–298.
- Mahmuda, Y, Kentaro, O., Taktani, T., Kawatsu, K., Hamano, Y., Arakawa, O., Noguchi, T. 2003. Intra-tissue distribution of tetrodotoxin in two marine puffers Takifugu vermicularis and Chelonodon patoca. Toxicon 41:13–18.
- Matsumura, K. 1995. Tetrodotoxin as a pheromone. Nature 378:563–564.
- Mosher, H. S., Fuhrman, F. A., Buchwald, H. D., and Fischer, H. G. 1964. Tarichatoxin-tetrodotoxin: A potent neurotoxin. Science 144:1100–1110.
- Pavelka, L. A., Kim, Y. H., and Mosher, H. S. 1977. Tetrodotoxin and tetrodotoxin-like compounds from the eggs of the Costa Rican frog, Atelopus chiriquiensis. Toxicon 15:135–139.
- Pennings, S. C., Paul, V. J., Dunbar, D. C., Hamann, M. T., Lumbang, W. A., Novack, B., and Jacobs, R. S. 1999. Unpalatable compounds in the marine gastropod Dolabella auricularia: Distribution and effect of diet. J. Chem. Ecol. 25:735–756.
- Sinervo, B. 1990. The evolution of maternal investment in lizards: An experimental and comparative analysis of egg size and its effects on offspring performance. Evolution 44:279–294.
- Sinervo, B. 1999. Mechanistic analysis of natural selection and a refinement of Lack's and William's principles. J. Am. Nat. 154:s26–s42.
- Tsuruda, K., Arakawa, O., Kawatsu, K., Hamano, Y., Takatani, T., and Noguchi, T. 2002. Secretory glands of tetrodotoxin in the skin of the Japanese newt Cynops pyrrhogaster. Toxicon 40:131–136.
- Twitty, V. C. 1937. Experiments on the phenomenon of paralysis produced by a toxin occurring in Triturus embryos. J. Exp. Zool. 76:67–104.
- Twitty, V. C. 1966. Of Scientists and Salamanders. Freeman, San Francisco, California.
- Wakely, J. F., Fuhrman, G., Fuhrman, F. A., Fischer, H. G., and Mosher, H. S. 1966. The occurrence of tetrodotoxin (tarichatoxin) in Amphibia and the distribution of the toxin in the organs of newts (Taricha). Toxicon 3: 195–203.
- Yasumoto, T. and Michishita, T. 1985. Fluorometric determination of tetrodotoxin by high performance liquid chromatography. Agric. Biol. Chem. 49:3077–3080.
- Yotsu, M., Endo, A., and Yasumoto, T. 1989. An improved tetrodotoxin analyzer. Agric. Biol. Chem. 53:893–895.
- Yotsu-Yamashita, M. and Mebs, D. 2001. The levels of tetrodotoxin and its analogue 6–epitetrodotoxin in the red-spotted newt, Notophthalmus viridescens. Toxicon 39:1261–1263.
- Tetrodotoxin Levels in Eggs of the Rough-Skin Newt, Taricha granulosa, Are Correlated with Female Toxicity
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 29, Issue 8 , pp 1729-1739
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- chemical defense
- egg toxicity
- Taricha granulosa
- Industry Sectors