Evaluation of proton induced reactions on 100Mo: New cross sections for production of 99 mTc and 99Mo
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The use of the 99Mo→99mTc generator in nuclear medicine is well established world wide. The production of the 99Mo (T1/2 = 66 h) parent as a fission product of 235U is largely based on the use of reactor technology. From the early 1990's accelerator based production methods to provide either direct produced 99mTc or the parent 99Mo, were studied and suggested as potential alternatives to the reactor based production of 99Mo. A possible pathway for the charged particle production of 99mTc and 99Mo is irradiation of molybdenum metal with protons via the reaction 100Mo(p,2n)99mTc and 100Mo(p,pn)99Mo, respectively. The earlier published excitation functions show large differences in their maximum that result in large differences in the calculated yields. We therefore decided to study the excitation function for these proton-induced reactions. In this work the newly measured excitation functions as well as an evaluation of earlier measured data and a discussion of the observed disagreements are presented.
- Production Technologies for Molybdenum-99 and Technetium-99m, IAEA-TECDOC-1065, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, 1999, p. 5.
- Parrington, J. R. (1996) Nuclides and Isotopes. GE Nuclear Energy, Lockheed-Martin
- Andersen, H. H., Ziegler, J. F. (1977) Hydrogen Stopping Powers and Ranges in All Elements. Pergamon Press, New York
- Browne, E., Firestone, R. B. In: Shirley, V. S. eds. (1986) Table of Radioactive Isotopes. Wiley, New York
- Beaver, J. E., Hupf, H. B. (1971) J. Nucl. Med. 12: pp. 739
- Almeida, G. L., Helus, F. (1977) Radiochem. Radioanal. Letters 28: pp. 205
- Levkovskii, N. (1991) Middle Mass Nuclides (A = 40-100) Activation Cross Sections by Medium energy (E + 10-50 MeV) Protons and ?-particles (Experiment and Systematics). Inter-Vesti, Moscow
- Lagunas-Solar, M. C., Kiefer, P. M., Carvacho, O. F., Lagunas, C. A., Cha, Y. P. (1991) J. Appl. Radiation Isotopes 42: pp. 463
- Lagunas-Solar, M. C. (1999) Accelerator Production of 99mTc with Proton Beams and Enriched 100Mo Targets. IAEA-TECDOC-1065. International Atomic Energy Agency, Viennapp. 87
- Scholten, B., Lambrecht, R. M., Cogneau, M., Vera Ruiz, H., Qaim, S. M. (1999) J. Appl. Radiation Isotopes 51: pp. 69
- Wenrong, Z., Weixiang, Y., Xiaogang, H., Hanlin, L. (1998) Communication of nuclear data progress (CNIC-01266, CNDC-0022) 19: pp. 17
- Reference Charged Particle Cross-Section Database for Medical Radioisotope Production, Diagnostic Radioisotopes and Monitor Reactions, IAEA-TECDOC-1211, IAEA, Vienna, 2001, p. 63; 68; 77.
- S. TakÁcs, F. TÁrkÁnyi, M. Sonck, A. Hermanne; Proc. of 7th European Conf. on Accelerators in Applied Research and Technology, 21-25 August, 2001, Guildford, UK, (will be published).
- Evaluation of proton induced reactions on 100Mo: New cross sections for production of 99 mTc and 99Mo
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Volume 257, Issue 1 , pp 195-201
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Nuclear Research, Bem tér 18/c, H-4026, Debrecen, Hungary
- 2. Institute of Nuclear Research Laboratory for Environmental Studies, Bem tér 18/c, H-4026, Debrecen, Hungary
- 3. Free University of Brussels, Laarbeeklaan 103, B-1090, Brussels, Belgium