Parametric Cubic Spline Approach to the Solution of a System of Second-Order Boundary-Value Problems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We use parametric cubic spline functions to develop a numerical method for computing approximations to the solution of a system of second-order boundary-value problems associated with obstacle, unilateral, and contact problems. We show that the present method gives approximations which are better than those produced by other collocation, finite-difference, and spline methods. A numerical example is given to illustrate the applicability and efficiency of the new method.
- Al-said, E.A., Spline Methods for Solving a System of Second-Order Boundary-Value Problems, International Journal of Computer Mathematics, Vol. 70, pp. 717–727, 1999.
- Al-said, E.A., Spline Solutions for a System of Second-Order Boundary-Value Problems, International Journal of Computer Mathematics, Vol. 62, pp. 143–154, 1996.
- Al-said, E. A., and Noor, M.A., Computational Methods for Fourth-Order Obstacle Boundary-Value Problems, Communications in Applied Nonlinear Analysis, Vol. 2, pp. 73–83, 1995.
- Al-said, E. A., Noor, M. A., and Khalifa, A.K., Finite-Difference Scheme for Variational Inequalities, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 89, pp. 453–459, 1996.
- Baiocchi, C., and Capelo, A., Variational and Quasivariational Inequalities, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, 1984.
- Cottle, R. W., Giannessi, F., and Lions, J.L., Variational Inequalities and Complementarity Problems: Theory and Applications, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1984.
- Crank, J., Free and Moving Boundary-Value Problems, Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK, 1984.
- Lewy, H., and Stampacchia, G., On the Regularity of the Solution of Variational Inequalities, Communications in Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 22, pp. 153–188, 1969.
- Kikuchi, N., and Oden, J.T., Contact Problems in Elasticity, SIAM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1988.
- Noor, M. A., and Khalifa, A.K., Cubic Splines Collocation Methods for Unilateral Problems, International Journal of Science and Engineering, Vol. 25, pp. 1527–1530, 1987.
- Noor, M. A., Noor, K. I., and Rassias, T.M., Some Aspects of Variational Inequalities, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 47, pp. 285–312, 1993.
- Noor, M. A., and Tirmizi, S.I.A., Finite-Difference Techniques for Solving Obstacle Problems, Applied Mathematics Letters, Vol. 1, pp. 267–271, 1988.
- Rodrigues, J.F., Obstacle Problems in Mathematical Physics, North-Holland, Amsterdam, Holland, 1987.
- Villaggio, F., The Ritz Method for Solving Unilateral Problem in Elasticity. Meccanica, pp. 123–127, 1981.
- Froberg, C., Numerical Mathematics: Theory and Computer Applications, Benjamin/Cummings, Reading, Massachusetts, 1985.
- Usmani, R.A., Bounds for the Solution of a Second-Order Differential Equation with Mixed Boundary Conditions, Journal of Engineering Mathematics, Vol. 9, pp. 159–164, 1975.
- Parametric Cubic Spline Approach to the Solution of a System of Second-Order Boundary-Value Problems
Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications
Volume 118, Issue 1 , pp 45-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Parametric cubic splines
- finite-difference methods
- obstacle problems
- boundary-value problems
- Numerov method
- Industry Sectors