Disordered Eating Precursors in Pre- and Early Adolescent Girls and Boys
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
First- and second-year findings from a study of the development of disordered eating in pre- and early adolescents are presented. Fifth- and sixth-grade girls (n = 80) and boys (n = 85) were assessed on depression, body image, self-esteem, and eating behaviors and attitudes in Year 1 and again one year later. Weight, height, and pubertal development were also evaluated in Year 1 and Year 2. Gender differences existed on all measures in Year 2 and indicated consistently poorer scores for girls compared to boys. For girls, Year 1 Body Mass Index and pubertal development predicted Year 2 disordered eating. For boys, poor body image in Year 1 predicted Year 2 disordered eating. The importance of identifying early risk factors for eating disorders is discussed.
- Allgood-Merten, B., Lewinson, P. M., and Hops, H. (1990). Sex differences and adolescent depression. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 99: 55–63.
- American Psychiatric Association (1987). DSM-III-R: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (3rd ed., rev.). American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). DSM-IV: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th ed.). American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC.
- Attie, I., and Brooks-Gunn, J. (1989). Development of eating problems in adolescent girls: A longitudinal study. Develop. Psychol. 25: 70–79.
- Bray, G. A. (1986). Effects of obesity on health and happiness. In Brownell, K. D., and Foreyt, J. P. (eds.), Handbook of Eating Disorders. Basic Books, Inc, New York.
- Brooks-Gunn, J., Rock, D., and Warren, M. P. (1989). Comparability of constructs across the adolescent years. Develop. Psychol. 25: 51–60.
- Cohen, J., and Cohen, P. (1983). Applied Multiple Regression/Correlation Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences (2nd ed.). Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ.
- Drenowski, A., and Yee, D. K. (1987). Men and body image: Are males satisfied with their body weight? Psychosom. Med. 49: 626–624.
- Fosson, A., Knibbs, J., Bryan-Waugh, R., and Lask, B. (1987). Early onset anorexia nervosa. Arch. Dis. Child. 62: 114–118.
- Garner, D. M., Olmstead, M. P., Bohr, Y., and Garfinkel, P. E. (1982). The Eating Attitudes Test: Psychometric features and clinical correlates. Psychol. Med. 12: 871–878.
- Gralen, S. J., Levine, M. P., Smolak, L., and Murnen, S. K. (1990). Dieting and disordered eating during early and middle adolescence: Do the influences remain the same? Int. J. Eat. Disord. 9: 501–512.
- Killen, J. D., Hayward, C., Litt, I., Hammer, L. D., Wilson, D. M., Miner, B., Taylor, C. B., Varady, A., and Shisslak, C. (1992). Is puberty a risk factor for eating disorders? Am. J. Dis. Child. 146: 323–325.
- Killen, J. D., Hayward, C., Wilson, D. M., Taylor, C. B., Hammer, L. D., Litt, I., Simmonds, B., and Haydel, F. (1994). Factors associated with eating disorder symptoms in a community sample of 6th and 7th grade girls. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 15: 357–367.
- Koff, E., and Rierdan, J. (1993). Advanced pubertal development and eating disturbance in early adolescent girls. J. Adoles. Health 14: 433–439.
- Kovacs, M. (1980/81). Rating scales to assess depression in school-aged children. Acta Paedopsychiat. 46: 305–315.
- Kovacs, M., Betof, N. G., Celebre, J. E., Mansheim, P. A., Petty, L. K., and Raynak, J. T. (1977). Childhood depression: Myth of clinical syndrome? Unpublished manuscript. University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.
- Leon, G. R., Carroll, K., Chernyk, B., and Finn, S. (1985). Binge eating and associated habit patterns within college student and identified bulimic populations. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 4: 43–57.
- Leon, G. R., Fulkerson, J. A., Perry, C. L., and Cudeck, R. (1993). Personality and behavioral vulnerabilities associated with risk status for eating disorders in adolescent girls. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 102: 438–444.
- Leon, G. R., Fulkerson, J. F., Perry, C. L., and Early-Zald, M. (1995). Prospective analysis of personality and behavioral vulnerabilities and gender influences in the later development of disordered eating. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 104: 140–149.
- Lingswiler, V. M., Crowther, J. H., and Stephens, M. A. P. (1989). Affective and cognitive antecedents to eating episodes in bulimia and binge eating. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 8: 533–539.
- Offer, D., Ostrov, E., and Howard, K. I. (1982). The Offer Self-Image Questionnaire for Adolescents: A Manual (3rd ed.), Michael Reese Hospital, Chicago.
- Petersen, A. C., Crockett, L., Richards, M., and Boxer, A. (1988). A self-report measure of pubertal status: Reliability, validity, and initial norms. J. Youth Adolesc. 17: 117–133.
- Petersen, A. C., Schulenberg, J. E., Abramowitz, R. H., Offer, D., and Jarcho, H. D. (1984). A Self-Image Questionnaire for Young Adolescents (SIQYA): Reliability and validity studies. J. Youth Adolesc. 13: 93–111.
- Polivy, J. Herman, C. P., and Howard, K. I. (1988). Restraint Scale: Assessment of dieting. In Hersen, M., and Bellack, A. S. (eds.), Dictionary of Behavioral Assessment Techniques. Pergamon Press, Elmsford, NY.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the Adolescent Self-Image. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- Rosenberg, M. (1979). Conceiving the Self. Basic Books, New York.
- Scott, D. W. (1986). Anorexia nervosa in the male: A review of clinical, epidemiological, and biological findings. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 5: 799–819.
- Wamboldt, F. S., Kaslow, N. J., Swift, W. J., and Ritholz, M. (1987). Short-term course of depressive symptoms in patients with eating disorders. Am. J. Psychiat. 144: 362–364.
- Disordered Eating Precursors in Pre- and Early Adolescent Girls and Boys
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 203-216
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links