Synthesis and Optical Properties of SiO2-Coated CeO2 Nanoparticles
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Silica (SiO2)-coated ceria (CeO2) nanoparticles were prepared using water-in-oil microemulsion. Polyoxyethylene (15) cetylether and cyclohexane were used as a surfactant and organic solvent. SiO2-coated CeO2 nanoparticles were obtained by hydrolysis of metal alkoxide (tetraethylorthosilicate, TEOS) in the solution containing CeO2 precursor nanoparticles. The effects of CeO2 sources (Ce metal salt) and CeO2 particle-forming agents on the morphology of SiO2–CeO2 particles were investigated. Observation via transmission electron microscopy revealed that the type of particle-forming agent affected the nanoparticles' morphology and that CeO2 nanoparticles were spherically coated with SiO2 when using oxalic acid ((COOH)2) as a particle-forming agent of CeO2. Furthermore, the transmittance of the particles was high in the visible region (above 400 nm) and decreased in the ultraviolet region.
- Elidrissi B., M. Addou, M. Regragui, C. Monty, A. Bougrine & A. Kachouane, 2000. Structural and optical properties of CeO2 thin films prepared by spray pyrolysis. Thin Solid Films 379, 23.
- Kanakaraju S., S. Mohan & A.K. Sood,1997. Optical and structural properties of reactive ion beam sputter deposited CeO2 films. Thin Solid Films 305, 191.
- Kim J.W., J.W. Shim, J.H. Bee, S.H. Han, H.K. Kim, I.S. Chang, H.H. Kang & K.D. Suh, 2002. Titanium dioxide/poly (methyl methacrylate) composite microspheres prepared by in situ suspension polymerization and their ability to protect against UV rays. Colloid Polym. Sci. 280(6), 584.
- Kishida M., T. Tago, T. Hatsuta & K. Wakabayashi, 2000. Preparation of silica-coated rhodium nanoparticles usingwater-in-oil microemulsion. Chem. Lett. 1108.
- Li T., J. Moon, A.A. Morrone, J.J. Mecholsky, D.R. Talham & J.H. Adair, 1999. Preparation of Ag/SiO2 nanosize composite by a reverse micelle and sol¶ gel technique. Langmuir 15(13), 4328.
- Liz-Marzán L.M.,M. Giersig & P. Mulvaney, 1996a. Homogeneous silica coating of vitreophobic colloid. Chem. Commun. 731.
- Liz-Marzán L. M., M. Giersig & P. Mulvaney,1996b. Synthesis of nanosized gold-silica core-shell particles. Langmuir 12(18), 4329.
- Morimoto T., H. Tomonaga & A. Mitani, 1999. Ultraviolet ray absorbingcoatings on glass for automobiles. Thin Solid Films 351, 61.
- Tago T., T. Hatsuta, K. Miyajima, M. Kishida, S. Tashiro & K. Wakabayashi, 2002b. Novel synthesis of silica-coated ferrite nanoparticles prepared using water-in-oil microemulsion. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 85(9), 2188.
- Tago T., Y. Shibata, T. Hatsuta, M. Kishida, S. Tashiro & K. Wakabayashi, 2002a. Synthesis of silica-coated rhodium nanoparticles in reversed micellar solution. J. Mater. Sci. 37(5), 977.
- Synthesis and Optical Properties of SiO2-Coated CeO2 Nanoparticles
Journal of Nanoparticle Research
Volume 5, Issue 1-2 , pp 55-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- nanostructured coating
- ultraviolet absorption
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Chemical Engineering Group, Department of Materials Process Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyushu University, 6-10-1 Hakozaki, Higashi-Ku, Fukuoka, 812-8581, Japan