Using Programmable Network Management Techniques to Establish Experimental Networking Testbeds
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The way in which research groups evaluate router software (QoS and routing components, for example) seems to be restricted to methodologies using mathematical modelling and simulation techniques. We believe that an experimental methodology is rarely used as the deployment of custom routing software to a testbed comprising multiple routers is a non-trivial task that is beyond the scope of most network research projects. This project intends to make experimental methodologies more accessible to researchers by using programmable networking techniques and by building a management system for a network testbed.
- Clark D: ‘The design philosophy of the DARPA Internet protocols',’ in ACM SIGCOMM’ 88 (December 1998).
- Postel J: ‘Internet protocol',’ IETF RFC791 (September 1981).
- Deering S and Hinden R: ‘Internet protocol, version 6 (IPv6) specification',’ IETF RFC2460 (December 1988).
- Union I T: ‘X.200: Open Systems Interconnection-Basic Reference Model: The Basic Model',’ (July 1994).
- Mohammed A, Jones E, Ogier H, Vouk M and Dwekat Z: ‘Diffserv experiments: analysis of the premium service over the Alcatel-NCSU Internet2 testbed',’ in 2nd European Conference on Universal Multiservice Networks (ECUMN), France (April 2002).
- Blake S, Black D, Carlson M, Davies E, Wang Z and Weiss W: ‘An architecture for differentiated services',’ IETF RFC2475( April 1998).
- Handley M, Hodson O and Kohler E: ‘XORP: An open platform for network research',’ in 1st Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks (HotNets-I), Princton, New Jersey (October 2002).
- Wetherall D, Guttag J and Tennenhouse D: ‘Ants: a toolkit for building and dynamically deploying network protocols',’ PhD dissertation, University of Washington (1998).
- Kulkarni A, Minden G, Hill R, Wijata Y, Gopinath A, Sheth S, Wahhab F, Pindi H and Nagarajan A: ‘Implementation of a prototype active network', in First International Conference on Open Architectures and Network Programming (OPENARCH), San Fransisco (1998).
- Berson S: ‘A gentle introduction to the ABone',’ in OPENSIG Workshop 2000 (October 2000).
- Campbell A, Meer D G, Kounavis M, Miki K, Vicente J and Villela D: ‘The Genesis Kernel: A virtual network operating system for spawning network architectures',’ in Second International Conference on Open Architectures and Network Programming (OPENARCH), New York (1999).
- Alexander D, Arbaugh W, Hicks M, Kakkar P, Keromytis A, Moore J, Gunder C, Nettles S and Smith J: ‘The switchware active network architecture',’ IEEE Network (May/June 1998).
- Chan M, Huard J, Lazar A and Lim K: ‘On realizing a broadband kernel for multimedia networks',’ in Workshop on Multimedia Telecommunications and Applications, Spain (November 1996).
- Kohler E: ‘The click modular router',’ ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, 18, No 3 (August 2000).
- Rio M, Pezzi N, Meer H D, Emmerich W, Zanolin L and Mascolo C: ‘Promile: A management architecture for programmable modular routers',’ in OpenSIG 2001 (2001).
- Case J, Fedor M, Schoffstall M and Davin J: ‘A simple network management protocol (SNMP)',’ IETF RFC1157 ( May 1990).
- Durham D, Boyle K, Cohen R, Herzog S, Rajan R and Sastry A: ‘The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol',’ IETF RFC2748 (January 2000).
- Marshall, I (1997) ALPINE-application level programmable internetwork environment. BT Technol J 15: pp. 82-94
- Liabotis I, Prnjat O and Sacks L: ‘Policy-based resource management for application level active networks',’ in 2nd IEEE Latin American Network Operations and Management Symposium (LANOMS), Brazil (August 2001).
- Magee, J, Dulay, N, Eisenbach, S, Kramer, J (1995) Specifying distributed software architectures. 5th European Software Engineering Conf (ESEC 95). Springer-Verlag, Sitges, Spain
- 'The Common Information Model (CIM) Standard',’ from the Distributed Management Task Force (1999).
- The Cisco 2100 Intelligent Engine-http://www.cisco.com/
- 'The Directory Enabled Network (DEN) standard',’ from the Distributed Management Task Force (2000).
- Fry M and Ghosh A: ‘Application layer active networking',’ in International Workshop on High Performance Protocol Architectures (HIPPPARCH) (June 1998).
- Hedrick C: ‘Routing information protocol',’ IETF RFC2328 (June 1988).
- Lougheed K and Rekhter Y: ‘A border gateway protocol 3 (BGP-3)',’ IETF RFC1267 (October 1991).
- Moy J: ‘OSPF version 2',’ IETF RFC2328 (April 1998).
- Bray T, Paoli J, Sperberg-McQueen C, and Maler E: ‘Extensible markup language (XML) 1.0 (second edition)',’ (October 2000).
- Mascolo C, Zanolin L and Emmerich W: ‘Xmile: an XML based approach for incremental code mobility and update',’ Automated Software Engineering Journal (Special Issue on Mobility), 9, No 2 (April 2002).
- Floyd S and Jacobson V: ‘Random early detection gateways for congestion avoidance',’ IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 1, No 4 (August 1993).
- Eriksson H: ‘The Multicast Backbone',’ Communications of the ACM, 37, No 8 (August 1994).
- ITO: ‘Collaborative Advanced Interagency Research Network (CAIRN)',’ in DARPA ITO Nets PI Meeting (March 1997).
- Amir E, McCanne S and Katz R: ‘An active service framework and its application to real-time multimedia transcoding', in ACM SIGCOMM’ 98, Canada (1998).
- Tennenhouse D L, Smith J M, Sincoskie W D, Wetherall D J and Minden G J: ‘A survey of active network research', IEEE Communications Magazine, 35, No 1 (1997).
- Campbell A, Meer H D, Kounavis M, Miki K, Vicente J and Villela D: ‘A survey of programmable networks', SIGCOMM Computer Communications Review, 29, No 2 (April 1999).
- Konstantinou A V, Yemini Y and Florissi D: ‘Towards self-managing systems',’ in DARPA Active Networks Conference and Exposition (DANCE), San Francisco (May 2002).
- Jackson A W et al: ‘Active network monitoring and control: The SENCOMM architecture and implementation',’ in DARPA Active Networks Conference and Exposition (DANCE), San Francisco (May 2002).
- Raz D and Shavitt Y: ‘An active network approach for efficient network management',’ in International Working Conference on Active Networks, Germany (1999).
- Ricciulli L et al: ‘An adaptable network control and reporting system (ANCORS)',’ in DARPA Active Networks Conference and Exposition (DANCE), San Francisco (May 2002).
- Lupu E, Sloman M, Dulay N and Damianou N: ‘PONDER: realising enterprise viewpoint concepts',’ in International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference (EDOC2000), Japan (September 2000).
- Using Programmable Network Management Techniques to Establish Experimental Networking Testbeds
BT Technology Journal
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 195-203
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors