Investigation of High Voltage Discharges in Low Pressure Gases Through Large Ceramic Superconducting Electrodes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A device has been built and tested, in which a ceramic superconducting cathode and a copper anode cause electrical discharges in low pressure gases, at temperatures between 50 and 70 K. The electrodes are connected to a capacitors array charged up to 2000 kV; peak currents are of the order of 104 A. The cathode has the diameter of 10 cm and is fabricated by OCMTG technology. In discharges at voltage above 500 kV two new phenomena were observed, probably related to each other. First, the discharge does not look like a spark, but is a flat, glowing discharge, which originates from the whole surface of the superconducting electrode. Furthermore, a radiation pulse is emitted at the discharge, which propagates orthogonally to the cathode, towards the anode and beyond it, in a collimated beam, apparently without any attenuation. The radiation pulse carries an energy of 10−3 J at least. The features and the nature of this radiation have been investigated by several means, still it was not possible to identify it; we can only exclude that it is electromagnetic radiation or any other radiation with energy-momentum relationship E=cp.
- Takaichi, H. In: Murakami, M. eds. (1990) Melt-Processed High-Temperature Superconductors. World Scientific, Londonpp. 320
- Lvovich, K. K. (1998) Hysteresis electrical motors with bulk melt-textured YBCO. Mater. Sci. Eng. B 53: pp. 216-219
- Tonouchi, M., Tani, M., Wang, Z., Sakai, K., Wada, N., Hangyo, M. (1997) Novel terahertz radiation from flux-trapped YBCO thin films excited by femtosecond laser pulses. Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36: pp. L93-L95
- Hangyo, M., Tomozawa, S., Murakami, Y., Tonouchi, M., Tani, M., Wang, Z., Sakai, K., Nakashima, S. (1996) Terahertz radiation from superconducting YBCO thin films excited by femtosecond optical pulses. Appl. Phys. Lett. 69: pp. 2122-2124
- Balachandran, U., Poeppel, R. B., Emerson, J. E., Johnson, S. A., Lanagan, M. T., Youngdahl, C. A., Shi, D., Goretta, K. C., Eror, N. G. (1989) Synthesis of phase-pure orthorhombic YBa2Cu3Ox under low oxygen pressure. Materials Letters 8: pp. 454-456
- Lindemer, T. B., Washburn, F. A., MacDougall, C. S., Cavin, O. B. (1991) Synthesis of Y-Ba-Cu-O superconductors in subatmospheric oxygen. Physica C 174: pp. 135-143
- Murakami, M. (1992) Processing of Bulk YBaCuO 5: pp. 185-203
- Nariki, S., Sakai, N., Murakami, M. (2000) Fabrication of large melt-textured Gd-Ba-Cu-O superconductor with Ag addition. Physica C: Superconductivity 341–348: pp. 2409-2412
- Muralidhar, M., Koishikawa, S., Koblischka, M. R., Murakami, M. (1999) Study of superconducting properties of OCMG processed (Nd, Eu, Gd)-Ba-Cu-O with Pr doping. Physica C: Superconductivity 314: pp. 277-284
- Yoo, S. I., Sakai, N., Higuchi, T., Murakami, M. (1994) Melt processing for obtaining NdBa2Cu3Oy superconductors with high Tc and large Jc. Appl. Phys. Lett. 65: pp. 633-635
- V. R. Todt, X. F. Zhang, and D. J. Miller, Nucleation and growth of single-and multiple-domain YBa2Cu3Ox levitators: Influence of seed crystallofraphy, IEEE T. Appl. Supercon. 7(2), 1801–1804 (June 1997).
- Kim, C., Jee, Y. A., Hong, G., Sung, T., Han, Y., Han, S., Kim, S., Bieger, W., Fuchs, G. (2000) Effects of the seed dimension on the top surface growth mode and the magnetic properties of top-seeded melt growth processed YBCO superconductors. Physica C 331: pp. 274-284
- Waldram, J. (1996) Superconductivity of Metals and Cuprates. IoP, London
- G. A. Ummarino, Possible Alterations of the Gravitational Field in a Superconductor, report cond-mat/0010399.
- G. Fontana, A Possibility of Emission of High Frequency Gravitational Radiation from Junctions between d-Wave and s-Wave Superconductors, report cond-mat/9812070; G. Fontana, Gravitational radiation and its application to space travel, in CP504, Space Technology and Applications International Forum-2000, M. S. El-Genk (ed.), AiP, p. 1085.
- I. Ciufolini and J. Wheeler, Gravitation and Inertia, Princeton Series in Physics, Chap. 6., Princeton university press(1995). S. M. Carroll and G. B. Field, Consequences of propagating torsion in connection-dynamic theories of gravity, Phys. Rev. D 50, 3867(1994).
- Li, N., Torr, D. (1991) Effects of a gravitomagnetic field on pure superconductors. Phys. Rev. D 43: pp. 457
- Modanese, G. (1999) Virtual dipoles and large fluctuations in quantum gravity. Phys. Lett. B 460: pp. 276
- Modanese, G. (1995) Potential energy in quantum gravity. Nuclear Phys. B 434: pp. 697
- Investigation of High Voltage Discharges in Low Pressure Gases Through Large Ceramic Superconducting Electrodes
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 132, Issue 3-4 , pp 239-259
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- superconducting electrodes
- Industry Sectors