Kinetics and Products of the Gas-Phase Reaction of OH Radicals with 5-Hydroxy-2-Pentanone at 296± 2 K
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The 1,4-hydroxycarbonyl 5-hydroxy-2-pentanone is an important product of the gas-phase reaction of OH radicals with n-pentane in the presence of NO. We have used a relative rate method with 4-methyl-2-pentanone as the reference compound to measure the rate constant for the reaction of OH radicals with 5-hydroxy-2-pentanone at 296 ± 2 K. The carbonyls were sampled by on-fiber derivatization using a Solid Phase Micro Extraction (SPME) fiber coated with O> -(2,3,4,5,6-pentafluorobenzyl)hydroxylamine hydrochloride with subsequent thermal desorption of the oxime derivatives and quantification by gas chromatography with flame ionization detection. For comparison, the reference compound was also analyzed following sample collection onto a Tenax adsorbent cartridge. Products of the reaction were investigated using coated-fiber SPME sampling with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis as well as by using in situ atmospheric pressure ionization mass spectrometry. A rate constant for the reaction of OH radicals with 5-hydroxy-2-pentanone of (1.6 ± 0.4) × 10−11 cm3 molecule−1 s−1 was obtained at 296 ± 2 K. Two dicarbonyl products, of molecular weight 86 and 100, were observed and are attributed to CH3C(O)CH2CHO and CH3C(O)CH2CH2CHO, respectively. Reaction schemes leading to these products are presented.
- Arey, J., Aschmann, S. M., Kwok, E. S. C., and Atkinson, R., 2001: Alkyl nitrate, hydroxyalkyl nitrate, and hydroxycarbonyl formation from the NOx-air photooxidations of C5-C8 n-alkanes, J. Phys. Chem. A 105, 1020-1027.
- Aschmann, S. M., Chew, A. A., Arey, J., and Atkinson, R., 1997: Products of the gas-phase reaction of OH radicals with cyclohexane: Reactions of the cyclohexoxy radical, J. Phys. Chem. A 101, 8042-8048.
- Aschmann, S. M. and Atkinson, R., 1999: Products of the gas-phase reactions of the OH radical with n-butyl methyl ether and 2-isopropoxyethanol: Reactions of ROC(O(su▪))<radicals, Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 31, 501-513.
- Aschmann, S. M., Arey, J., and Atkinson, R., 2001: Atmospheric chemistry of three C10 alkanes, J. Phys. Chem. A 105, 7598-7606.
- Atkinson, R., 1994: Gas-phase tropospheric chemistry of organic compounds, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data Monograph 2, 1-216.
- Atkinson, R. and Aschmann, S. M., 1995: Products of the gas-phase OH radical-initiated reactions of 4-methyl-2-pentanone and 2,6-dimethyl-4-heptanone, Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 27, 261-275.
- Atkinson, R., 1997: Gas-phase tropospheric chemistry of volatile organic compounds: 1. alkanes and alkenes, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data 26, 215-290.
- Atkinson, R., 2000: Atmospheric chemistry of VOCs and NOx, Atmos. Environ. 34, 2063-2101.
- Atkinson, R., Tuazon, E. C., and Aschmann, S. M., 2000: Atmospheric chemistry of 2-pentanone and 2-heptanone, Environ. Sci. Technol. 34, 623-631.
- Bethel, H. L., Atkinson, R., and Arey, J., 2001: Kinetics and products of the reactions of selected diols with the OH radical, Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 33, 310-316.
- Chew, A. A., Atkinson, R., and Aschmann, S. M., 1998: Kinetics of the gas-phase reactions of NO3 radicals with a series of alcohols, glycol ethers, ethers and chloroalkenes, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. 94, 1083-1089.
- Eberhard, J., Müller, C., Stocker, D.W., and Kerr, J. A., 1995: Isomerization of alkoxy radicals under atmospheric conditions, Environ. Sci. Technol. 29, 232-241.
- Koziel, J. A., Noah, J., and Pawliszyn, J., 2001: Field sampling and determination of formaldehyde in indoor air with solid-phase microextraction and on-fiber derivatization, Environ, Sci. Technol. 35, 1481-1486.
- Kramp, F. and Paulson, S. E., 1998: On the uncertainties in the rate coefficients for OH reactions with hydrocarbons, and the rate coefficients of the 1,3,5-trimethylbenzene and m-xylene reactions with OH radicals in the gas phase, J. Phys. Chem. A 102, 2685-2690.
- Krol, M., van Leeuwen, P. J., and Lelieveld, J., 1998: Global OH trend inferred from methylchloroform measurements, J. Geophys. Res. 103, 10697-10711.
- Kwok, E. S. C. and Atkinson, R., 1995: Estimation of hydroxyl radical reaction rate constants for gasphase organic compounds using a structure-reactivity relationship: an update, Atmos. Environ. 29, 1685-1695.
- Kwok, E. S. C., Arey, J., and Atkinson, R., 1996: Alkoxy radical isomerization in the OH radicalinitiated reactions of C4-C8 n-alkanes, J. Phys. Chem. 100, 214-219.
- Martin, P., Tuazon, E. C., Aschmann, S. M., Arey, J., and Atkinson, R., 2002: Formation and atmospheric reactions of 4,5-dihydro-2-methylfuran, J. Phys. Chem. A 106, 11492-11501.
- Martos, P. A. and Pawliszyn, J., 1998: Sampling and determination of formaldehyde using solid-phase microextraction with on-fiber derivatization, Anal. Chem. 70, 2311-2320.
- Prinn, R. G., Huang, J., Weiss, R. F., Cunnold, D. M., Fraser, P. J., Simmonds, P. G., McCulloch, A., Harth, C., Salameh, P., O'Doherty, S., Wang, R. H. J., Porter, L., and Miller, B. R., 2001: Evidence for substantial variations of atmospheric hydroxyl radicals in the past two decades, Science 292, 1882-1888.
- Reisen, F., Aschmann, S. M., Atkinson, R., and Arey, J., 2003: Hydroxyaldehyde products from hydroxyl radical reactions of Z-3-hexen-1-ol and 2-methyl-3-buten-2-ol quantified by SPME and API-MS, Environ. Sci. Technol., submitted for publication.
- Streitwieser, A., Jr. and Heathcock, C. H., 1976: Introduction to Organic Chemistry,Macmillan, New York, NY, p. 679.
- Taylor,W. D., Allston, T. D., Moscato, M. J., Fazekas, G. B., Kozlowski, R., and Takacs, G. A., 1980: Atmospheric photodissociation lifetimes for nitromethane, methyl nitrite, and methyl nitrate, Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 12, 231-240.
- Tuazon, E. C., Aschmann, S. M., and Atkinson, R., 1999: Products of the gas-phase reaction of the OH radical with the dibasic ester CH3OC(O)CH2CH2CH2C(O)OCH3, Environ. Sci. Technol. 33, 2885-2890.
- Kinetics and Products of the Gas-Phase Reaction of OH Radicals with 5-Hydroxy-2-Pentanone at 296± 2 K
Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry
Volume 45, Issue 3 , pp 289-299
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- atmospheric reactions
- hydroxyl radical
- reaction products
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Air Pollution Research Center, University of California, Riverside, CA, 92521, U.S.A
- 2. Department of Environmental Sciences and Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Environmental Toxicology, USA
- 3. Department of Chemistry, USA