The effect of different HUFA enrichment emulsions on the nutritional value of rotifers (Brachionus plicatilis) fed to larval haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus).
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A feeding study was conducted in the winter 2001 to determine the effects of feeding rotifers (Brachionus plicatilis) enriched with various levels of essential fatty acids on the growth and survival of haddock larvae (Melanogrammus aeglefinus). Rotifer enrichment treatments were: 1) mixed algae, 2) high DHA (docosahexaenoic acid, 22:6n-3), 3) high DHA and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid, 20:5n-3), and 4) DHA, EPA, and AA (arachidonic acid, 20:4n-6). Larvae were fed rotifers enriched with the different treatments from days 1 to 16 post-hatch. From day 17 until 25 all treatment groups were fed rotifers reared on mixed algae and then weaned onto the International Council for Exploration of the SEA (ICES) Standard Reference Weaning diet (http://allserv.rug.ac.t/aquaculture/rend/rend.htm) over a five day period. The experiment was terminated on day 41 post-hatch. The enrichment treatments affected the fatty acid composition of the rotifers and correlated with the accumulation of these fatty acids in the haddock larvae. However, no significant differences in larval growth or survival to 40 days post hatch were detected, suggesting that all treatments provided the minimal essential fatty acid requirements for haddock.
- Coutteau P., Van Stappen G., and Sorgeloos P. 1995. A standard experimental diet for the study of fatty acid requirements of weaning and first ongrowing stages of the European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax L.): selection of the basal diet. ICES Marine Science Symposia 201: 130–137.
- Folch J., Lees M. and Sloane-Stanley G.H. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. Journal of Biological Chemistry 226: 497–509.
- Galloway T.F., Kryvi H., Hoehne K. and Kjørsvik E. 1998. Muscle growth in cod larvae in response to dietary HUFA ratios. In: VIII International Symposium on Nutrition and Feeding of fish. Recent Advances in Finfish & Crustacean Nutrition. June 1-4, 1998. Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, p. 187.
- Hamlin H.J. and Kling L.J. 2001. The culture and early weaning of larval haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus) using a microparticulate diet. Aquaculture 201: 61–72.
- Henry R. 1997. Overview of recent developments in haddock culture in New Brunswick. Aquaculture Association of Canada Special Publication 2: 37–40.
- ICES 1997. Report of the Working Group on Marine Fish Culture for the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea. Murcia, Spain 23-26 June 1997. ICES CM 1997 / F:7.
- Koven W., Barr Y., Lutzky S., Ben-Atia I., Weiss R., Harel M. et al. 2001. The effect of dietary arachidonic acid (20:4n-6) on growth, survival and resistance to handling stress in gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) larvae. Aquaculture 193: 107–122.
- Litvak M. 1998. The development of haddock culture in Atlantic Canada. Bulletin of the Aquaculture Association of Canada 98: 30–33.
- Morrison W.R. and Smith L.M. 1964. Preparation of fatty acid methyl esters and dimethylacetals from lipids with boron fluoride methanol. Journal of Lipid Research 6: 600–608.
- Nanton D.A. and Castell J.D. 1998. The effects of dietary fatty acids on the fatty acid composition of the harpacticoid copepod, Tisbe sp., for use as a live food for marine fish larvae. Aquaculture 163: 251–261.
- Rainuzzo J.R., Reitan K.I. and Olsen Y. 1997. The significance of lipids at early stages of marine fish: a review. Aquaculture 155: 103–115.
- Rodríguez C., Pérez J.A., Izquierdo M.S., Cejas J.R., Bolanos A. and Lorenzo A. 1996. Improvement of the nutritional value of rotifers by varying the type and concentration of oil and the enrichment period. Aquaculture 147: 93–105.
- Sargent J., McEvoy L., Estevez A., Bell G., Bell M., Henderson J. et al. 1999. Lipid nutrition of marine fish during early development: current status and future directions. Aquaculture 179: 217–229.
- Takeuchi T., Zheng F., Yosheda K., Hirokawa J. and Watanabe T. 1994. Nutritive value of DHA-enriched rotifer for larval cod. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 60: 641–652.
- The effect of different HUFA enrichment emulsions on the nutritional value of rotifers (Brachionus plicatilis) fed to larval haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus).
Volume 11, Issue 1-2 , pp 109-117
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Arachidonic acid
- Docosahexaenoic acid
- Eicosapentaenoic acid
- Lipid emulsions
- Marine fish larvae
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Biological Station, 531 Brandy Cove Rd, St. Andrews, E5B 2L9, Canada
- 2. Laboratory of Aquaculture & Artemia Reference Center, Ghent University, Rozier 44, Gent, 9000, Belgium