Biocatalytic Gelation of Silica in the Presence of a Lipase
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of the lipase from Burkholderia cepacia (previously known as Pseudomonas cepacia) on the gelation kinetics and gel structure was examined on a type of silica aerogel made from a mixture of methyltrimethoxysilane and tetramethoxysilane. For this purpose, gels were made with increasing concentrations of lipase in otherwise constant other conditions (pH, water and Si precursors concentrations). It was found that the enzyme accelerated the gelation kinetics, hence was participating in some way to the hydrolysis of the silica precursor. The structure of the gel was simultaneously modified to produce an increasing proportion of Q4 silicon sites.
- M.T. Reetz, A. Zonta, and J. Simpelkamp, Biotech. and Bioeng. 49, 527 (1996).
- M. Pierre, P. Buisson, F. Fache, and A.C. Pierre, Biocat. and Biotrans. 18, 237 (1999).
- A.C. Pierre and P. Buisson, J. Mol. Cat.: B Enzymatic 11, 639 (2001).
- C.J. Brinker and G.W. Scherer, Sol-Gel Science (Academic Press, London, 1990), p. 160.
- S. Brunauer, L.S. Deming, W.S. Deming, and E. Teller, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 62, 1723 (1940).
- B.F. Roberts, A Procedure for Estimating Pore Volume and Area Distributions from Sorption Isotherms (National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, 1963)
- S. Lowell and J.E. Shields, Powder Surface Area and Porosity (Chapman and Hall, London, 1991), p. 67.
- R.H. Glaser, G.L. Wilkes, and E. Bronnimann, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 113, 73 (1989).
- R.B. Taylor, B. Parbhoo, and D.M. Fillmore, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance,inThe Analytical Chemistry of Silicones, edited by A. Lee Smith (John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1991), p. 347.
- X. Xue and M. Kanzaki, J. Phys. Chem. B 195, 3422 (2001).
- M. Cygler and J.D. Schrag, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Molecular and Cell biology of Lipids 1441, 205 (1999).
- C.C. Perry and T. Keeling-Tucker, J. Biol. Inorg. Chem. 5, 537 (2000).
- C. Poncet-Legrand, F. Lafuma, and R. Audebert, Colloids Surf. A 152, 251 (1999).
- M. Karlsson, L.G. Martensseon, B.H. Jonsson, and U. Carlsson, Langmuir 16, 8470 (2000).
- A.L. Hiddessen, S.D. Rodgers, D.A. Weitz, and D.A. Hammer, Langmuir 16, 9744 (2000).
- T. Coradin and J. Livage, Colloids Surf. B 21, 329 (2001).
- T. Coradin, O. Durupthy, and J. Livage, Langmuir 18, 2331 (2002).
- Y. Zhou, K. Shimizu, J.N. Cha, G.D. Stucky, and D.E. Morse, Angew. Chem. Int. ed. 38, 779 (1999).
- J.D. Schrag, Y. Li, M. Cygler, D. Lang, T. Burgdorf, H.-S. Hecht, R. Schmid, D. Schomnurg, T.J. Rydel, J.D. Oliver, L.C. Stricklznd, M.C. Dunaway, S.B. Larson, J. Day, and A. McPherson, Structure 5, 187 (1997).
- Biocatalytic Gelation of Silica in the Presence of a Lipase
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
Volume 27, Issue 3 , pp 373-379
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- enzyme catalysis
- sol-gel processes
- NMR spectroscopy
- Industry Sectors