Notch strength insensitivity of self-setting hydroxyapatite bone cements
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of notches on the strength properties of self-setting hydroxyapatite (HA) cements is examined. Such stress concentrators may be present at orthopedic repair sites employing cements and significantly affect their mechanical reliability. Notched tensile specimens were prepared from two cement compositions that resulted in HA and carbonated apatite. The notch radii was varied from 0.15 to 6 mm with a fixed length of 6 mm. The strength of the cements was found to be surprisingly insensitive to the presence of the notches over the range of notch radii examined. A fracture statistics model incorporating a Weibull statistical approach was employed to rationalize the observed notch insensitivity.
- P. M. Bills and E. J. Wheeler, J. Ed. Mod. Mater. Sci. Eng. 4 (1982) 391.
- I. C. Ison, M. T. Fulmer, B. M. Barr and B. R. ConstanzHydroxyapatite and Related Materials, edited by P. W. Brown (CRC Press, New York, 1994) p. 215.
- W. E. Brown and L. C. ChowCements Research Progress 1986, edited by P. W. Brown (American Ceramics Society, Westerville, OH, 1987) p. 351.
- B. R. Constanz, I. C. Ison, M. T. Fulmer, R. D. Poser, S. T. Smith, M. Vanwagoner, J. Ross, S. A. Goldstein, J. B. Jupiter and D. I. Rosenthal, Science 267 (1995) 1796.
- L. L. Hench, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 74 (1991) 1487.
- E. F. Morgan, D. N. Yetkinler, B. R. Constanz and R. H. Dauskardt, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 8 (1997) 559.
- R. S. Lakes, S. Nakamura, J. C. Behiri and W. Bonfield, J. Biomech. 23 (1989) 967.
- V. C. Jew, J. P. Morgan and R. H. DauskardtBiomaterials for Drug Delivery and Tissue Engineering Procedures of the Fall MRS Conference Volume 662, Boston, Fall 2000, edited by S. Mallapragada, M. Tracy, B. Narasimhan, E. Mathiowitz and R. Korsmeyer (Materials Research Society, Warrendale, PA, 2000).
- V. C. Jew, A. Durfee, C. Angle and R. H. Dauskardt, in Transactions of the 46th Annual Meeting of the Orthopedic Research Society, Orlando, 2000.
- V. C. Jew and R. H. Dauskardt, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 2002 (to be submitted).
- L. J. Gibson and M. F. AshbyCellular Solids: Structure and Properties (Pergamon Press, New York, 1998) p. 316.
- T. L. AndersonFracture Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications (CRC Press, New York, 1995) p. 34.
- W. Brown and J. SrawleyASTM Publication 410 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1966).
- J. R. Matthews, F. A. Mcclintock and W. J. Shack, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 59 (1976) 304.
- A. Bruckner-Foit, A. Heger and D. Munz, J. Europ. Ceram. Soc. 16 (1996) 1027.
- D. Hertel, T. Fett and D. Munz, ibid. 18 (1998) 329.
- T. Fett, D. Hertel and D. Munz, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 18 (1999) 289.
- B. LawnFracture of Brittle Solids (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1993) p. 31.
- T. Fett, private communication, 2001.
- Notch strength insensitivity of self-setting hydroxyapatite bone cements
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 7 , pp 647-653
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors