Effects of molecular shape on the photoluminescence of dyes embedded in a chiral polymer with a photonic band gap
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Circularly polarized photoluminescence has been generated by embedding fluorescent guest molecules in a helically aligned polymer host with a selective reflection band, which coincides with the emission wavelength of the embedded dyes. We have investigated the photoluminescence from a range of guest molecules of varying shapes and found that one circular polarization is suppressed within the reflection band of the host independently of the shape of the guest molecules. However, just outside the band edges, there is an enhancement of the same polarization and the relative magnitudes of the enhancement at the two band edges is strongly influenced by the shape of the guest molecules. This effect has been understood from the ordering of the guest molecules in the polymer host.
- E. Yablonovitch, Phys. Rev. Lett. 58 (1987) 2059.
- S. V. Gaponenko, V. N. Bogomolov, E. P. Petrov, A. M. Kapitonov, A. A. Eychmueller, A. L. Rogach, I. I. Kalosha, F. Gindele and U. Woggon, J. Lumin. 87–89 (2000) 152.
- H. Takezone, Y. Ouchi, A. Sugita, M. Hara, A. Fukuda and E. Kuze, Jn. J. Appl. Phys. 21 (1982) L390.
- L. S. Goldberg and J. M. Schnur, US Patent 3 771 065 (1973).
- I. P. Il'Chishin, E. A. Tikhonov, V. G. Tishchenko and M. T. Shpak, JETP Lett. 32 (1980) 24.
- R. Dreher and H. Schomburg, Chem. Phys. Lett. 25 (1974) 527.
- M. Hara, H. Takezoe, A. Fukuda, E. Kuze, Y. Kaizu and H. Kobayashi, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 116 (1985) 253.
- S. H. Chen, D. Katsis, A. W. Schmid, J. C. Mastrangelo, T. Tsutsui and T. N. Blanton, Nature 396 (1999).
- K. Bjorknas, E. P. Raynes and S. Gilmour, Proc. SPIE 4464 (2001) 122.
- M. Voigt, M. Chambers and M. Grell, Chem. Phys. Lett. 347 (2001) 173.
- A. Dahlgren, “Optical Investigations of Chiral Liquid Crystals”, Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology (2000).
- P. Yeh and C. Gu, “Optics of Liquid Crystal Displays” (John Wiley & Sons, 1999).
- S. Chandrasekhar, “Liquid Crystals” (Cambridge University Press, 1994).
- T. Tsutsui, N. Takada and S. Saito, Appl. Phys. Lett. 65 (1994) 1868.
- Effects of molecular shape on the photoluminescence of dyes embedded in a chiral polymer with a photonic band gap
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics
Volume 14, Issue 5-7 , pp 397-401
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors