Rhizosecretion of a monoclonal antibody protein complex from transgenic tobacco roots
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The secretion of a functional, full-length monoclonal antibody complex from transgenic Nicotiana tabacum roots has been demonstrated. Initially, seeds were germinated on nitrocellulose membranes and antibody secretion detected from the developing roots. Plants were then established in hydroponic culture and secretion into the growth medium measured over 25 days. Western blotting indicated that full-length antibody was present in the medium along with other fragments. Secreted antibody was shown to be functional by binding to antigen in ELISA studies. In contrast, no antibody could be detected from transgenic Nicotiana in which the same antibody was expressed as a membrane protein in the plasmalemma. These results indicate that antibody accumulation in the growth medium is genuinely caused by rhizosecretion and not cell damage. Addition of gelatin to plant growth medium markedly increased levels of antibody accumulation. The mean antibody yield per plant was calculated to be 11.7 μg per gram root dry weight per day. Rhizosecretion may be a viable alternative to agricultural production or cell culture for the generation of monoclonal antibodies in transgenic plants. It may also give rise to novel applications for antibodies expressed in plants such as removal or neutralisation of environmental pollutants and attenuation of pathogens which infect the plant via the rhizosphere.
- Benvenuto, E., Ordas, R.J., Tavazza, R., Ancora, G., Biocca, S., Cattaneo, A. and Galeffi, P. 1991. 'Phytoantibodies': a general vector for the expression of immunoglobulin domains in transgenic plants. Plant Mol. Biol. 17: 865–874.
- Borisjuk, N.V., Borisjuk, L.G., Logendra, S., Petersen, F., Gleba, Y. and Raskin, I. 1999. Production of recombinant proteins in plant root exudates. Nature Biotechnol. 17: 466–469.
- Burton, D.R. 1990. Antibody: the flexible adaptor molecule. Trends Biochem. Sci. 15: 64–69.
- Carpita, N., Sabularse, D., Montezinos, D. and Delmer, D.P. 1979. Determination of the pore size of cell walls of living plant cells. Science 205: 1144–1147.
- Conrad, U. and Fiedler, U. 1998. Compartment-specific accumulation of recombinant immunoglobulins in plant cells: an essential tool for antibody production and immunomodulation of physiological functions and pathogen activity. Plant Mol. Biol. 38: 101–109.
- De Neve, M., De Loose, M., Jacobs, A., Van Houdt, H., Kaluza, B., Weidle, U. and Depicker, A. 1993. Assembly of an antibody and its derived antibody fragment in Nicotiana and Arabidopsis. Transgenic Res. 2: 227–237.
- De Wilde, C., De Neve, M., De Rycke, R., Bruyns, A.-M., De Jaeger, G., Van Montagu, M., Depicker, A., and Engler, G. 1996. Intact antigen-binding MAK33 antibody and Fab fragment accumulate in intercellular spaces of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Sci. 114: 233–241.
- Fiedler, U., Phillips, J., Artsaenko, O. and Conrad, U. 1997. Optimization of scFv antibody production in transgenic plants. Immunotechnology 3: 205–216.
- Firek, S., Draper, J., Owen, M.R., Gandecha, A., Cockburn, B. and Whitelam, G.C. 1993. Secretion of a functional single-chain Fv protein in transgenic tobacco plants and cell suspension cultures. Plant Mol. Biol. 23: 861–870.
- Fischer, R. and Emans, N. 2000. Molecular farming of pharmaceutical proteins. Transgenic Res. 9: 279–299.
- Frigerio, L., Vine, N.D., Pedrazzini, E., Hein, M.B., Wang, F., Ma, J.K. and Vitale, A. 2000. Assembly, secretion, and vacuolar delivery of a hybrid immunoglobulin in plants. Plant Physiol. 123: 1483–1494.
- Gleba, D., Borisjuk, N.V., Borisjuk, L.G., Kneer, R., Poulev, A., Skarzhinskaya, M., Dushenkov, S., Logendra, S., Gleba, Y.Y. and Raskin, I. 1999. Use of plant roots for phytoremediation and molecular farming. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96: 5973–5977.
- Hiatt, A.C., Cafferkey, R. and Bowdish, K. 1989. Production of antibodies in transgenic plants. Nature 342: 76–78.
- Lesk, A.M. and Chothia, C. 1988. Elbow motion in the immunoglobulins involves a molecular ball-and-socket joint. Nature 335: 188–190.
- Ma, J.K.-C., Lehner, T., Stabila, P., Fux, C.I. and Hiatt, A. 1994. Assembly of monoclonal antibodies with IgG1 and IgA heavy chain domains in transgenic tobacco plants. Eur. J. Immunol. 24: 131–138.
- Ma, J.K.-C., Hiatt, A., Hein, M.B., Vine, N., Wang, F., Stabila, P., van Dolleweerd, C., Mostov, K. and Lehner, T. 1995. Generation and assembly of secretory antibodies in plants. Science 268: 716–719.
- Magnuson, N.S., Linzmaier, P.M., Gao, J.W., Reeves, R., An, G. and Lee, J.M. 1996. Enhanced recovery of a secreted mammalian protein from suspension culture of genetically modified tobacco cells. Protein Expr. Purif. 7: 220–228.
- Murashige, T. and Skoog, F. 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Plant Physiol. 15: 473–497.
- Owen, M., Gandecha, A., Cockburn, B. and Whitelam, G. 1992. Synthesis of a functional anti-phytochrome single chain Fv protein in transgenic tobacco. Bio/technology 10: 790–794.
- Ryland, R., Linzmaier, P.M. and Lee, J.M. 2000. Effect of gelatin on the stability of heavy chain monoclonal antibody production from plant suspension cultures. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 4: 449–454.
- Smith, R. and Lehner, T. 1989. Characterisation of monoclonal antibodies to common protein epitopes on the cell surface of Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sobrinus. Oral Microbiol. Immunol. 4: 153–158.
- Vine, N.D., Drake, P., Hiatt, A. and Ma, J.K. 2001. Assembly and plasma membrane targeting of recombinant immunoglobulin chains in plants with a murine immunoglobulin transmembrane sequence. Plant Mol. Biol. 45: 159–167.
- Wongsamuth, R. and Doran, P.M. Production of monoclonal antibodies by tobacco hairy roots. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 54: 401–415.
- Yamawaki-Kataoka, Y., Nakai, S., Miyata, T. and Honjo, T. 1982. Nucleotide sequences of gene segments encoding membrane domains of immunoglobulin gamma chains. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 79: 2623–2627.
- Rhizosecretion of a monoclonal antibody protein complex from transgenic tobacco roots
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 52, Issue 1 , pp 233-241
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- recombinant antibody
- transgenic plants
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Oral Medicine and Pathology, Unit of Immunology, 28th Floor, Guy's Tower, Guy's Hospital, GKT Dental Institute, London Bridge, London, SE1 9RT, UK