Knudsen Layer for Gas Mixtures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Knudsen layer in rarefied gas dynamics is essentially described by a half-space boundary-value problem of the linearized Boltzmann equation, in which the incoming data are specified on the boundary and the solution is assumed to be bounded at infinity (Milne problem). This problem is considered for a binary mixture of hard-sphere gases, and the existence and uniqueness of the solution, as well as some asymptotic properties, are proved. The proof is an extension of that of the corresponding theorem for a single-component gas given by Bardos, Caflisch, and Nicolaenko [Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 39:323 (1986)]. Some estimates on the convergence of the solution in a finite slab to the solution of the Milne problem are also obtained.
- C. Bardos, R. E. Caflisch, and B. Nicolaenko, The Milne and Kramers problems for the Boltzmann equation of a hard sphere gas, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 39:323-352 (1986).
- C. Cercignani, Half-space problems in the kinetic theory of gases, in Trends in Applications of Pure Mathematics to Mechanics, E. Kröner and K. Kirchgässner, eds. (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1986), pp. 35-50.
- C. Cercignani, The Boltzmann Equation and its Applications (Springer-Verlag, New-York, 1988).
- F. Coron, F. Golse, and C. Sulem, A classification of well-posed kinetic layer problems, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 41:409-435 (1988).
- F. Golse and F. Poupaud, Stationary solutions of the linearized Boltzmann equation in a half-space, Math. Methods Appl. Sci. 11:483-502 (1989).
- H. Grad, Singular and nonuniform limits of solutions of the Boltzmann equation, in Transport Theory, R. Bellman, G. Birkhoff, and I. Abu-Shumays, eds. (AMS, Providence, 1969), pp. 269-308.
- N. B. Maslova, Kramers problem in the kinetic theory of gases, USSR Comp. Math. Phys. 22:208-219 (1982).
- T. Ohwada, Y. Sone, and K. Aoki, Numerical analysis of the shear and thermal creep flows of a rarefied gas over a plane wall on the basis of the linearized Boltzmann equation for hard-sphere molecules, Phys. Fluids A 1:1588-1599 (1989).
- Raymundo Peralta, Thesis Paris 7 (1995).
- Y. Sone, Asymptotic theory of flow of rarefied gas over a smooth boundary I, in Rarefied Gas Dynamics, Vol. 1, L. Trilling and H. Y. Wachman, eds. (Academic, New York, 1969), pp. 243-253.
- Y. Sone, Asymptotic theory of flow of rarefied gas over a smooth boundary II, in Rarefied Gas Dynamics, Vol. II, D. Dini, ed. (Editrice Tecnico Scientifica, Pisa, Italy, 1971), pp. 737-749.
- Y. Sone, Asymptotic theory of a steady flow of a rarefied gas past bodies for small Knudsen numbers, in Advances in Kinetic Theory and Continuum Mechanics, R. Gatignol and Soubbaramayer, eds. (Springer, Berlin, 1991), pp. 19-31.
- Y. Sone, Kinetic Theory and Fluid Dynamics, Modeling and Simulation in Science, Engineering and Technology (Birkhäuser, Boston, 2002).
- Y. Sone, T. Ohwada, and K. Aoki, Temperature jump and Knudsen layer in a rarefied gas over a plane wall: Numerical analysis of the linearized Boltzmann equation for hard-sphere molecules, Phys. Fluids A 1:363-370 (1989).
- Y. Sone, T. Ohwada, and K. Aoki, Evaporation and condensation on a plane condensed phase: Numerical analysis of the linearized Boltzmann equation for hard-sphere molecules, Phys. Fluids A 1:1398-1405 (1989).
- S. Takata, Diffusion slip for a binary mixture of hard-sphere molecular gases: Numerical analysis based on the linearized Boltzmann equation, in Rarefied Gas Dynamics, T. J. Bartel and M. A. Gallis, eds. (AIP, Melville, 2001), pp. 22-29.
- S. Takata and K. Aoki, The ghost effect in the continuum limit for a vapor-gas mixture around condensed phases: Asymptotic analysis of the Boltzmann equation, Transport Theory Statist. Phys. 30:205-237 (2001); Aoki Erratum: Transport Theory Statist. Phys. 31:289-290 (2002).
- Knudsen Layer for Gas Mixtures
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 112, Issue 3-4 , pp 629-655
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Knudsen layer
- gas mixtures
- Milne problem
- Boltzmann equation
- rarefied gas dynamics
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University, Kyoto, 606-8501, Japan
- 2. Université Denis Diderot and LAN Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
- 3. Département de Mathématique et Applications, École Normale Supérieure, 45, rue d'Ulm, 75230, Paris Cedex 05, France