Conservation Properties of Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics Applied to the Shallow Water Equation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Kelvin's circulation theorem and its implications for potential vorticity (PV) conservation are among the most fundamental concepts in ideal fluid dynamics. In this note, we discuss the numerical treatment of these concepts with the Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) and related methods. We show that SPH satisfies an exact circulation theorem in an interpolated velocity field, and that, when appropriately interpreted, this leads to statements of conservation of PV and generalized enstrophies. We also indicate some limitations where the analogy with ideal fluid dynamics breaks down.
- M. P. Allen and D. J. Tildesley, Computer Simulation of Liquids, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1987.
- G. Benettin and A. Giorgilli, On the Hamiltonian interpolation of near to the identity symplectic mappings with application to symplectic integration algorithms, J. Statist. Phys., 74 (1994), pp. 1117-1143.
- J. Bonet and T.-S.L. Lok, Variational and momentum preservation aspects of smooth particle hydrodynamic formulations, Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engrg., 180 (1999), pp. 97-115.
- M. D. Buhmann, Radial basis functions, Acta Numerica, 9 (2000), pp. 1-38.
- A. J. Chorin and J. E. Marsden, A Mathematical Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1993.
- J. Frank and S. Reich, A particle-mesh method for the shallow water equations near geostrophic balance, J. Sci. Comput., to appear.
- J. Frank, G. Gottwald, and S. Reich, The Hamiltonian particle-mesh method, Meshfree Methods for Partial Differential Equations, Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, Vol. 26, Springer, 2002.
- J. J. Monaghan, On the problem of penetration in particle methods, J. Comput. Phys., 82 (1989), pp. 1-15.
- J. J. Monaghan, Smoothed particle hydrodynamics, Ann. Rev. Astron. Astrophys., 30 (1992), pp. 543-574.
- J. J. Monaghan, SPH and the alpha turbulence model, preprint, 2001.
- P. J. Morrison, Hamiltonian description of the ideal fluid, Rev. Modern Phys., 702 (1998), pp. 467-521.
- R. Salmon, Lectures on Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1999.
- J. M. Sanz-Serna and M. P. Calvo, Numerical Hamiltonian Problems, Chapman and Hall, London, 1994.
- H. Yserentant, A new class of particle methods., Numer. Math., 76 (1997), pp. 87-109.
- Conservation Properties of Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics Applied to the Shallow Water Equation
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 43, Issue 1 , pp 41-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Geophysical fluid dynamics
- potential vorticity conserving methods
- geometric methods
- smoothed particle hydrodynamics
- Industry Sectors