Complex Hyperbolic Quasi-Fuchsian Groups and Toledo's Invariant
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider discrete, faithful, type-preserving representations of the fundamental group of a punctured Riemann surface into PU(21), the holomorphic isometry group of complex hyperbolic space. Our main result is that there is a continuous family of such representations which interpolates between ℂ-Fuchsian representations and ℝ-Fuchsian representations. Moreover, these representations take every possible (real) value of the Toledo invariant. This contrasts with the case of closed surfaces where ℂ-Fuchsian and ℝ-Fuchsian representations lie in different components of the representation variety. In that case the Toledo invariant lies in a discrete set and indexes the components of the representation variety.
- Burger, M. and Iozzi, A.: Bounded cohomology and representation varieties of lattices in PSU(n,1), Preprint announcement, 2000.
- Epstein, D. B. A. and Petronio, C.: An exposition of Poincaré's polyhedron theorem, Enseign. Math. 40 (1994), 113–170.
- Falbel, E. and Koseleff, P.-V.: Flexibility of the ideal triangle group in complex hyperbolic geometry, Topology 39 (2000), 1209–1223.
- Falbel, E. and Koseleff, P.-V.: A circle of modular groups in PU(2,1), Math. Res. Lett. 9 (2002), 379–391.
- Falbel, E. and Zocca, V.: A Poincaré's polyhedron theorem for complex hyperbolic geometry, J. Reine Angew. Math. 516 (1999), 133–158.
- Goldman, W. M.: Complex Hyperbolic Geometry, Oxford Univ. Press, 1999.
- Goldman, W. M., Kapovich, M. and Leeb, B.: Complex hyperbolic manifolds homotopy equivalent to a Riemann surface, Comm. Anal. Geom. 9 (2001), 61–95.
- Goldman, W. M. and Parker, J. R.: Complex hyperbolic ideal triangle groups, J. Reine Angew. Math. 425 (1992), 71–86.
- Goldman, W. M. and Parker, J. R.: Dirichlet polyhedra for dihedral groups acting on complex hyperbolic space, J. Geom. Anal. 2 (1992), 517–554.
- Gusevskii, N. and Parker, J. R.: Representations of free Fuchsian groups in complex hyperbolic space, Topology 39 (2000), 33–60.
- Millington, M. H.: Subgroups of the classical modular group, J. London Math. Soc. 1 (1969), 351–357.
- Miner, R. R.: Quasiconformal equivalence of spherical CR manifolds, Ann. Acad. Sci. Fenn. Ser. A I Math. 19 (1994), 83–93.
- Mostow, G. D.: On a remarkable class of polyhedra in complex hyperbolic space, Pacific J. Math. 86 (1980), 171–276.
- Parker, J. R.: Dirichlet polyhedra for parabolic cyclic groups in complex hyperbolic space, Geom. Dedicata 57 (1995), 223–234.
- Schwartz, R. E.: Ideal triangle groups, dented tori and numerical analysis, Ann. Math. 153 (2001), 533–598.
- Thurston, W. P.: The geometry and topology of three-manifolds, Lecture notes, Princeton, 1978–80.
- Toledo, D.: Representations of surface groups on complex hyperbolic space, J. Differential Geom. 29 (1989), 125–133.
- Tukia, P.: On isomorphisms of geometrically finite Möbius groups, IHES Public. Math. 61 (1985), 171–214.
- Xia, E. Z.: The moduli of flat PU(2,1) structures on Riemann surfaces, Pacific J. Math. 195 (2000), 231–256.
- Complex Hyperbolic Quasi-Fuchsian Groups and Toledo's Invariant
Volume 97, Issue 1 , pp 151-185
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- complex hyperbolic space
- quasi-Fuchsian group
- Toledo invariant
- Industry Sectors