Measuring quality of life in the mentally ill
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It has been our experience that it is easier to measure quality of life among persons with serious mental illness than it is to intervene to improve it. This article presents background and historical context of service delivery to persons with severe mental illness. We then examine approaches to assessing outcomes of services, especially quality of life. We conclude with an illustration and discussion of dilemmas in measuring quality of life in this vulnerable population.
- Marwick C. Parity for mental health and substance abuse treatment. JAMA 1998; 279(15): 1151.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed. Washington: American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Mental health: A report of the Surgeon General, Rockville, MD: US Department of Healthand Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental HealthServices Administration, Center for Mental HealthServices, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Mental Health, 1999.
- Kessler RC, McGonagle KA, Zhao S, et al. Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of DSM-III-R psychiatric disorders in the United States: Results from the National Comorbidity Survey. ArchGen Psychiatry 1994; 51: 8–19.
- Kesey K. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. New York: New American Library, 1962.
- Korr WS, Joseph A. Housing the homeless mentally ill: Findings from Chicago. J Soc Serv Res 1995; 21: 53–68.
- Lehman AF, Steinwachs DM, et al. Patterns of care for schizophrenia: Initial results from the schizophrenia Patient Outcomes ResearchTeam (PORT) client survey. Schizophrenia Bull 1998; 24: 11–20.
- Social Security Administration (2001). SSI Payment Amounts. Available from:URL:http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ COLA/SSI amounts.html. Accessed August 8, 2002.
- Schainblatt AH, Hatry P. Mental Health Services: What Happens to the Clients? Washington, DC: The Urban Institute, 1979.
- Ware JE Jr, Sherbourne CD. The MOS 36-item Short Form HealthSurvey (SF-36): Conceptual framework and item selection. Med Care 1992; 30: 473–483.
- Van Nieuwenhuizen C, Schene AH, Boevink WA, Wolf LM Jr. Measuring the quality of life of clients with severe mental illness: A review of instruments. Psychiatr Rehab J; 20: 33-41.
- Greenley JR, Greenberg JS, Brown R. Measuring quality of life: A new and practical survey instrument. Soc Work 1997; 42: 244–254.
- Dazord A, Astolfl F, Guisti P, et al. Quality of life assessment in psychiatry: The Subjective Quality of Life Profile (SQLP)-First results of a new instrument. Community Ment Health J 1998; 34: 525–535.
- Katsavdakis KA, Clifford PI, Evans RB, et al. The how are you? scale: A quality-of-life outcomes measure for routine practice. Bull Menninger Clin 1999; 63: 366–387.
- Gladis MM, Gosch EA, Dishuk NM, Crits-Christoph P. Quality of life: Expanding the scope of clinical significance. J Consult Clin Psychol 1999; 67: 320–331.
- Richmond ME. Social Diagnosis. New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 1917.
- Orley J, Saxena S, Herrman H. Quality of life and mental illness: Reflections from the perspective of the WHOQOL. Brit J Psychiatry 1998; 172: 291–293.
- Angermeyer MC, Kilian R. Theoretical models of quality of life for mental disorders. In: Katschnig H, Freeman H, Sartorius N (eds), Quality of Life in Mental Disorders, New York: Plenum Press, 1997: 215–226.
- Jenkins CD. Assessment of outcomes of health intervention. Soc Sci Med 1992; 35: 367–375.
- Munetz MR, Birnbaum A, Wyzik PF. An integrative ideology to guide community based multidisciplinary care of severely mentally ill patients. Hosp Commun Psychiatry 1993; 44: 551–555.
- Atkinson M, Zibin S, Chuang H. Characterizing quality of life among patients withch ronic mental illness: A critical examination of the self-report methodology. Am J Psychiatry 1997; 154: 99–105.
- Prince PN, Prince CR. Subjective quality of life in the evaluation of programs for people withserious and persistent mental illness. Clin Psychol Rev 2001; 21: 1005–1036.
- WHOQOL Group The World Health Organization Quality of Life Assessment (WHOQOL): Position paper from the World Health Organization. Soc Sci Med 1995; 41: 1403–1409.
- Ford BC. Assessing the influence of exposure to violence and trauma on mental health in an urban outpatient psychiatric sample. Dissertation Abstracts International, 60(2-A), UMI No. 0549. 1999.
- Curtis JL, Millman EJ, Struening EL, D'Ercole A. Does outreachcase management improve patients' quality of life? Psychiatr Serv 1998; 49: 352–354.
- Measuring quality of life in the mentally ill
Quality of Life Research
Volume 12, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 17-23
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors