Family burden and quality of life
- Esther Sales
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Providing care to family members dealing with chronic illness may result in feelings of burden or strain for caregivers that can diminish their quality of life. This article examines objective and subjective dimensions of family burden, and the extent to which illness characteristics and contextual variables have been found to contribute to caregiver stress for different chronic illnesses. After discussing some of the problems in the conceptualization and measurement of caregiving burden, it suggests several important directions for future research, including further clarification of generic versus specific factors affecting caregiver burden, greater understanding of contextual variables, the impact of other roles, and examining changes in caregiving demands over the illness course.
- Biegel D, Sales E, Schulz R. Family Caregiving in Chronic Illness. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications, 1991.
- Marsh D, Johnson D. The family experience of mental illness: Implications for intervention. Profess Psychol: Res Pract 1997; 28(3): 229–237.
- Clausen J, Yarrow M. Paths to the mental hospital. J Soc Issues 1955; 11: 25–32.
- Grad J, Sainsbury P. Mental illness and the family. Lancet 1963; 1: 544–547.
- Greenberg JS, Greenley JR, McKee D, Brown R, Griffin-Francell C. Mothers caring for an adult child with schizophrenia. Family Relat 1993; 42: 205–211.
- Hoenig J, Hamilton MW. The schizophrenic patient in the community and his effect on the household. Int J Soc Psychiatry 1966; 12: 165–176.
- Thompson EH, Doll W. The burden of families coping with the mentally ill: An invisible crisis. Family Relat 1982; 31: 379–388.
- Brody EM. Women in the middle and family, help to older people. Gerontologist 1981; 21: 471–480.
- George L, Gwyther LP. Caregiver well-being: A multidimensional examination of family caregivers of demented adults. Gerontologist 1986; 26: 253–259.
- Montgomery R, Gonyea J, Hooyman N. Caregiving and the experience of subjective and objective burden. Family Relat 1985; 34: 19–26.
- Poulshock SW, Deimling GT. Families caring for elders in residence: Issues in the measurement of burden. J Gerontol 1984; 39: 230–239.
- Zarit SH, Reever KE, Bach-Peterson J. Relatives of the impaired elderly: Correlates of feelings of burden. Gerontologist 1980; 20: 649–655.
- Schene AH, Tessler RC, Gamache GM. Caregiving in severe mental illness: Conceptualization and measurement. In: Knudsen HC, Thornicroft G (eds), Mental Health Service Evaluation, New York: Cambridge University Press, 1996; 296–316.
- Schene AH, Tessler RC, Gamache GM. Instruments measuring family or caregiver burden in severe mental illness. Psychiat Psychiat Epidemiol 1994; 29: 228–240.
- Braithwaite V. Caregiving burden: Making the concept scientifically useful and policy relevant. Res Aging 1992; 14(1): 3–27.
- Maurin J, Boyd B. Burden of mental illness on the family: A critical review. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 1990; 4: 99–107.
- Lefley HP. Family Caregiving in Mental Illness. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1996.
- Stommel M, Given C, Given B. The cost of cancer care to families. Cancer 1993; 71: 1867–1874.
- Sales E, Schulz R, Biegel D. Predictors of strain in families of cancer patients: A review of the literature. J Psychosoc Oncol 1992; 10(2): 1–26.
- Brannon A, Heflinger C, Bickman L. The caregiver strain questionnaire: Measuring the impact on the family of living with a child with serious emotional disturbance. J Emot Behav Disord 1997; 5(4): 212–222.
- Kahana E, Biegel D, Wykle M. Family Caregiving Across the Lifespan. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1994.
- Pearlin L. Role strains and personal stress. In: Kaplan H (ed.), Psychosocial Stress: Trends in Theory and Research, NY: Academic Press, 1983; 3–32.
- Pearlin L. The sociological study of stress. J Health Soc Behav 1989; 30: 241–256.
- Noelker L, Townsend A. Perceived caregiving effectiveness: The impact of parental impairment, community resources and caregiver characteristics. In: Brubaker T (ed.), Aging, Health, and Family, Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications, 1987; 58–79.
- American Cancer Society. Facts and Figures, 1979.
- Sales E. Psychosocial impact of the phase of cancer on the family: An updated review. J Psychosoc Oncol 1991; 9(4): 1–26.
- Northouse L. The impact of cancer on the family: An overview. Int J Psychiatry Med 1984; 14: 215–242.
- Greenberg JS, Seltzer MM, Greenley JR. Aging parents of adults with disabilities: The gratifications and frustrations of later-life caregiving. Gerontologist 1993; 33: 542–550.
- Family burden and quality of life
Quality of Life Research
Volume 12, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 33-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Family burden
- Quality of life
- Industry Sectors
- Esther Sales (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Social Work, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA