Neutron Repulsion Confirmed as Energy Source
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Systematic properties of heavy nuclides reveal a fine structure in Coulomb energy that parallels variations in mass arising from n-n interactions between neutrons. These results confirm an earlier suggestion that n-n interactions in the nucleus are repulsive. Neutron emission may release up to 1.1%–2.4% of the nuclear rest mass as energy. By comparison, 0.8% of the rest mass is converted to energy in hydrogen fusion and 0.1% is converted to energy in fission. Neutron emission in the core of the Sun may trigger a series of reactions that collectively produce the Sun's luminosity and an outpouring of protons and neutrinos from its surface.
- O. Manuel, C. Bolon, A. Katragada, and M. Insall, J. Fusion Energy 19, 93-98 (2000).
- O. Manuel, in Origin of Elements in the Solar System: Implications of Post-1957 Observations, Proceedings of the 1999 ACS Symposium organized by Glenn T. Seaborg and Oliver K. Manuel, edited by O. Manuel (Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, NY, 2000) pp. 589-643.
- O. Manuel, C. Bolon, M. Zhong, and P. Jangam, Abstract 1041, Lunar Planetary Science Conference XXXII, LPI Contribution No. 1080, ISSN No. 0161-5297 (2001).
- O. Manuel, C. Bolon, and A. Katragada, Meteoritics and Planet. Sci. 37, A92 (2002).
- O. Manuel, in Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Beyond Standard Model Physics-BEYOND 2002, Oulu, Finland (IOP, Bristol, England, in press, 2002).
- O. Manuel and A. Katragada, in Proceedings of the Conference on Asteroids, Comets and Meteros, Berlin, Germany (ESA SP-500, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, in press, 2002).
- O. Manuel and S. Friberg, in Proceedings of SOHO 12/GONG1 Conference, Big Bear Lake, CA (ESA SP-517 SOHO/GONG, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, in press, 2003).
- J. K. Tuli, Nuclear Wallet Cards, 6th ed. (Bookhaven National Laboratory, National Nuclear Data Center, Upton, NY, 2000) 74 pp.
- C. F. v. Weizäcker, “Zur Theorie der Kernmassen,” Z. Physik 96, 431-458 (1935).
- R. D. Evans, The Atomic Nucleus (McGraw-Hill Book Co. Inc., New York, NY, 1955) p. 33.
- O. Manuel, C. Bolon, and M. Zhong, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. 252, 3-7 (2002).
- O. Manuel and D. Sabu, Trans. Mo. Acad. Sci. 9, 104-122 (1975).
- O. Manuel and D. Sabu, Science 195, 208-209 (1977).
- R. Davis Jr., D. S. Harmer and K. C. Hoffman, Phys. Rev. Lett. 20, 1205-1209 (1968).
- J. R. Cronin and S. Pizzarello, Science 274, 951-955 (1997).
- A. A. Penzias and R. W. Wilson, Ap. J. 142, 419-421 (1965).
- Neutron Repulsion Confirmed as Energy Source
Journal of Fusion Energy
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 197-201
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Nucleon interactions
- neutron-neutron repulsion
- solar energy
- Industry Sectors