Nutrient control of phytoplankton production in Lake Naivasha, Kenya
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Lake Naivasha, a shallow tropical lake in Kenya's Rift Valley, has an unstable water column and is moderately eutrophic. Nutrient (bottom-up) control of primary production is more important than grazing (top-down) control. Experimental nutrient enrichment was used to investigate bottom-up control in more detail. Minor nutrients were not found to be limiting, whilst nitrogen was more limiting than phosphorus with an algal preference for ammonium over nitrate. Sediments form a phosphorus sink but there is hypolimnetic release from the one area showing regular temporary stratification. This indicates that the rate of primary production in the water column could double if conditions change to allow lake-wide nutrient release from sediments. Both external and recycled nutrient regeneration are important.
- Andersen, T., A. K. Schartau & E. Paasche, 1991. Quantifying external and internal nitrogen and phosphorus pools, as well as nitrogen and phosphorus supplied through remineralisation, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 69: 67–80.
- Elser, J. J. & D. C. Frees, 1995. Microconsumer grazing and sources of limiting nutrients for phytoplankton growth. Application and complications of a nutrient deletion/dilution gradient technique. Limnol. Oceanogr. 40(1): 1–16.
- Giller, P. S., A. G. Hildrew & D. G. Raffaelli (eds), 1992. Aquatic Ecology: Scale, Pattern and Process. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Gouder de Beauregard, A.-C., D. M. Harper, F. Malaisse & J.-J. Symoens, 1998. Dynamique récente et cartographie de la végétation aquatique (1960-1996) du lac Naivasha (Rift Valley, Kenya). Bull. Séanc. L'Acad. r. Sci. Outre-Mer 44(3): 373–389.
- Harper, D. M.,C. Adams & K. Mavuti, 1995. The aquatic plant communities of the Lake Naivasha wetland, Kenya: pattern, dynamics and conservation. Wetlands Ecol. Manage. 3(2): 111–123.
- Harper, D. M. & K. Mavuti, 1995. Freshwater wetlands and marshes. In McClanahan, T. R. & T. Young (eds), Ecosystems of East Africa and their Conservation. Oxford University Press, London.
- Harper, D. M., K. M. Mavuti & S. M. Muchiri, 1990. Ecology and management of Lake Naivasha, Kenya, in relation to climatic change, alien species' introductions, and agricultural development. Environ. Conserv. 17 (4): 328–36.
- Hubble, D. S., 2000. Controls on primary production in Lake Naivasha, a shallow tropical freshwater. PhD thesis, Leicester University, UK.
- Johnson, G., D. M. Harper & K. Mavuti, 1998. Information for the sustainable management of shallow lakes: Lake Naivasha, Kenya. In Harper D. M. & Brown T. (ed), The Sustainable Management of Tropical Catchments, Wiley, Chichester.
- Kalff, J., 1983. Phosphorus limitation in some tropical African lakes. Hydrobiologia 100: 101–12.
- Kilham, P. & S. S. Kilham, 1990. Endless summer: internal loading processes dominate nutrient cycling in tropical lakes. Freshwat. Biol. 23: 379–389.
- Kitaka, N., D. M. Harper, & K. M. Mavuti, 2002. Phosphorus inputs to Lake Naivasha, Kenya, from its catchment and the trophic state of the lake. Hydrobiologia 488 (Dev. Hydrobiol. 168): 73–80.
- Knighton, D., 1998. Fluvial Forms and Processes. Arnold, London.
- Landry, M. R., J. Kirshtein & J. Constantinou, 1995. A refined dilution technique for measuring the community grazing impact of microzooplankton, with experimental tests in the central equatorial Pacific. Mar. Ecol. Progr. Ser. 120: 53–63.
- Olila, O. G., K. R. Reddy & W. G. Harris, 1995. Forms and distribution of inorganic phosphorus in sediments of two shallow eutrophic lakes in Florida. Hydrobiologia 302: 147–161.
- Talling, J. F., 1965. The photosynthetic activity of phytoplankton in East African lakes. Int. Rev. ges. Hydrobiol. 50: 1–32.
- Talling, J. F., 1966. The annual cycle of stratification and phytoplankton growth in Lake Victoria (East Africa). Int. Rev. ges. Hydrobiol. 51: 545–621.
- Talling, J. F., 1993. Environmental regulation in African shallow lakes and wetlands. Rev. d'Hydrobiol.e Trop. 25 (2): 87–144.
- Vincent, C., T. Davies & A. Beresford, 1979. Recent changes in the level of Lake Naivasha, Kenya, as an indicator of equatorial westerlies over East Africa. Climate Change 2: 175–189.
- Nutrient control of phytoplankton production in Lake Naivasha, Kenya
Volume 488, Issue 1-3 , pp 99-105
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors