Electroosmotic Phenomena in Plant Tissues
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of a direct electric current on electrolyte transport through plant tissues was studied by applying it to 10-mm segments of the mesocotyls of etiolated maize seedlings, similar segments of one-year linden shoots with the normal conducting system and without vascular bundles, and isolated elements of the xylem and cell wall segments. At current densities of 9–38 μA/mm2 (10–20 V), electrolyte solutions in plant tissues always moved toward the cathode. The results suggest that electroosmosis is one of the factors responsible for changes in solution transport through the conductive plant tissues that occur under the effect of electric current.
- Bennet-Clark, T.A. and Bexon, O., Water Relations of Plant Cells: 4. Diffusion Effects Observed in Plasmolysed Tissues, New Phytol., 1946, vol. 45, pp. 5–17.
- Fensom, D.S., The Bioelectric Potentials of Plants and Their Functional Significance: 1. An Electrokinetic Theory of Transport, Can. J. Bot., 1957, vol. 35, pp. 573–582.
- Fensom, D.S., The Bioelectric Potentials of Plants and Their Functional Significance: 2. The Patterns of Bioelectric Potential and Exudation Rate in Excited Sunflowers Roots and Stems, Can. J. Bot. 1958, vol. 36, pp. 367–383.
- Fensom, D.S. and Dainty, J., Electroosmosis in Nitella, Can. J. Bot., 1963, vol. 41, pp. 685–691.
- Fensom, D.S. and Spanner, D.C., Electro-Osmotic and Biopotential Measurements on Phloem Strands of Nymphoides, Planta, 1969, vol. 88, pp. 321–331.
- Frolov, K.B., Demchenko, N.P., and Polevoi, V.V., Cell Growth and Division in the Mesocotyls of Zea mays (Poaceae) Seedlings in the Dark and under Red Light, Bot. Zh., 1999, vol. 84, no.6, pp. 58–61.
- Goldsmidt, M.H.M., The Polar Transport of Auxin, Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol., 1977, vol. 28, pp. 439–478.
- Grigorov, O.N., Elektrokineticheskie yavleniya (Electrokinetic Phenomena), Leningrad, 1973.
- Jacobs, M. and Gilbert, S.F., Basal Localization of the Presumptive Auxin Transport Carrier in Pea Stem Cells, Science, 1983, vol. 220, pp. 1297–1300.
- Maslobrod, S.N., Elektrofiziologicheskaya polyarnost’ rastenii (Electrophysiological Polarity of Plants), Chisinau: Shtiintsa, 1973.
- Newman, I.A., Electrical Potential and Auxin Translocation in Avena, Austr. J. Biol., 1963, vol. 16, pp. 629–646.
- Newman, I.A., Distribution of Indolyl-3-Acetic Acid Labelled with Carbon-14 in Avena, Nature (London), 1965, vol. 205, pp. 1336–1337.
- Opritov, V.A., Pyatygin, S.S., and Retivin, V.G., Bioelektrogenez u vysshikh rastenii (Bioelectrogenesis in Higher Plants), Moscow: Nauka, 1991.
- Polevoi, V.V., Rol’ auksina v sistemakh regulyatsii u rastenii (The Role of Auxin in the Regulatory Systems of Plants), Leningrad: Nauka, 1986.
- Polevoi, V.V., Physiology of Plant Organism Integrity, Fiziol. Rast. (Moscow), 2001, vol. 48, no.4, pp. 631–643.
- Polevoi, V.V. and Bilova, T.E., Electroosmosis in Plant Tissues, Vestn. S.-Peterb. Univ., Ser. 3, 1999, issue 3, no. 17, pp. 72–74.
- Polevoi, A.V. and Salamatova, T.S., The Hormonal Response of Etiolated Maize Seedlings to Short Exposure to Red Light, Vestn. S.-Peterb. Univ., Ser. 3, 2000, issue 1, no. 3, pp. 52–58.
- Polevoi, V.V. and Tarakhovskaya, E.R., Induction of Electrophysiological Gradients in Axial Plant Organs by Auxin, Dokl. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2001, vol. 377, no.2, pp. 270–272.
- Polevoi, V.V., Osharova, L.M., Leonova, L.A., Maksimov, G.B., and Poberezhnyi, E.S., The Bioelectric Response of Maize Coleoptile segments to Unilateral Auxin Treatment, Fiziol. Rast. (Moscow), 1969, vol. 16, no.5, pp. 854–859.
- Polevoi, V.V., Shergina, N.F., and Salamatova, T.S., Effect of Red Light on the Surface Bioelectric Potential of the segments of Etiolated Maize Seedlings, Vestn. S.-Peterb. Univ., Ser. 3, 1996, issue 4, no. 24, pp. 100–104.
- Spanner, D.C., Electroosmotic Flow, Encycl. Plant Physiol., New Ser. 1975, vol. 1, pp. 301–327.
- Tarakhovskaya, E.R. and Polevoi, V.V., Conductive Tissues of Zea mays L. Become Electropositive under the Effect of Auxin, Vestn. S.-Peterb. Univ., Ser. 3, 2001, issue 3, no. 19, pp. 36–39.
- Tikhomolova, K.P., Elektroosmos (Electroosmosis), Leningrad: Khimiya, 1989.
- Electroosmotic Phenomena in Plant Tissues
Biology Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 133-139
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors