A Knowledge-Based Approach To Response Surface Modelling in Multifidelity Optimization
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper is concerned with approximations for expensive function evaluation – the expensive functions arising in an engineering design context. The problem of reducing the computational cost of generating sufficient learning samples is addressed. Several approaches of using a priori knowledge to achieve computational economy are presented. In all these, the results of a cheap model are treated as knowledge to be incorporated in the training process. Several approaches are described here: in particular, we focus on neural based systems. This approach is then developed as a new knowledge-based kriging model which is shown to be as accurate as neural based alternatives while being much easier to train. Examples from the domain of structural optimization are given to demonstrate the approach.
- Bakr, M. H., Bandler, J. W., Madsen, K., Rayas-Sanchez, J. E. and Sondergaard, J. (2000a), Space-mapping optimization of microwave circuits exploiting surrogate models, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 48: 2297–2306.
- Bakr, M. H., Bandler, J.W., Ismail, M. A., Rayas-Sanchez, J. E. and Zhang., Q. (2000b). Neiral space-mapping for EM-based design, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 48: 2307–2315.
- Bandler, J. W., Ismail, M. A., Rayas-Sanchez, J. E. and Zhang., Q. (1999). Neuromodelling of microwave circuits exploiting space-mapping technology, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 47: 2417–2427.
- Bandler, J. W., Georgieva, N., Ismail, M. A., Rayas-Sanchez, J. E. and Zhang., Q. (2001), A generalized space-mapping tableau approach to device modelling, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 49: 67–79.
- Chang, K. J., Haftka, R. T., Giles, G. L. and Kao, P.-J. (1993). Sensitivity-based scaling for approximating structural response, Journal of Aircraft 30: 283–287.
- Cressie, N. A. C. (1993). Statistics for Spatial Data, John Wiley and Sons Inc, New York.
- Gibbs, M. N. and Mackay, D. J. C. (1997). Efficient implementation of Gaussian processes, http://wol.ra.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/abstracts/gpros.html
- Haftka, R. T. (1991). Combining global and local approximations, AIAA Journal 29: 1523–1525.
- Hutchinson, M. G., Unger, E. R., Mason, W. H., Grossman, B. and Haftka, R. T. (1994). Variable-complexity aerodynamic optimization of a high speed civil transport wing, Journal of Aircraft 31: 110–116.
- Jones, D. R., Schonlau, M. and Welch, W. J., (1998). Efficient global optimization of expensive black-box functions, Journal of Global Optimization 13: 455–492.
- Myers, R. H. and Montgomery, D. C. (1995). Response surface methodology: Process and product optimization using designed experiments, John Wiley and Sons inc, New York.
- Press, W. H., Teukolsky, S. A., Vellering, W. T. and Flannery, B. P. (1992). Numerical recipes in fortran, 2nd Edition, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Rasmussen, C. E. (1996). Evaluation of Gaussian processes and other methods for nonlinear regression, PhD Thesis, University of Toronto.
- Rumelhart, D. E., Hinton, G. E. and Williams, R. J. (1986). Learning representations by backpropagating errors, Nature 323: 533–536.
- Sacks, J., Welch, W. J., Mitchell, T. J. and Wynn, H. P. (1989). Design and Analysis of Computer Experiments, Statistical Science 4: 409–435.
- Towell, G. G. and Shavlik, J. W. (1994). Knowledge-based artificial neural networks, Artificial Intelligence 70: 119–165.
- Vitali, R., Haftka, R. T. and Sankar, B. V. (1999). Multifidelity design of a stiffened composite panel with a crack, 4th World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Buffalo, NY.
- Wang, F. and Zhang, Q. (1997). Knowledge-based neural models for microwave design, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 45: 2333–2343.
- Watson, P. M. and Gupta, K. C. (1996). EM-ANN models for microstrip vias and interconnects in dataset circuits, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 44: 2495–2503.
- White, H., Gallant, A. R., Kornik, K., Stinchcombe, M. and Wooldridge, J. (1992). Artificial Neural Networks: Approximation and Learning Theory, Blackwell publishers, Oxford.
- Zhu, C., Byrd R. H., Lu P. and Nocedal J. (1994). L-BFGS-B: a limited memory FORTRAN code for solving bound constrained optimization problems, Tech. Report, NAM-11, EECS Department, Northwestern University.
- A Knowledge-Based Approach To Response Surface Modelling in Multifidelity Optimization
Journal of Global Optimization
Volume 26, Issue 3 , pp 297-319
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Multifidelity modelling
- Knowledge-based neural networks
- Expensive function optimization
- Industry Sectors