Comorbid Substance Use and Anxiety Disorders in Adolescents
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To explore the coexistence of substance use disorders and anxiety disorders in adolescents, we assessed adolescents presenting for treatment to an inpatient substance abuse treatment facility (SUH), an inpatient psychiatric treatment facility (IPH), and a community-based psychiatric facility (CMHC) for comorbid substance use and psychiatric diagnoses. Thirty subjects from each facility (N=90) were interviewed using the revised Child Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia (K-SADS) and the Structured Clinical Interview DSM-III-R (SCID-R) for substance use diagnoses. Overall, comorbidity (anxiety and substance use disorders) prevalence was 67% (20/30) of adolescents in the SUH group, 33% (10/30) of the CMHC adolescents, and 33% (10/30) of the IPH adolescents. Alcohol and marijuana were the most frequently abused substances. Anxiety disorders commonly coexist with substance use disorders in adolescents. Early identification and treatment of anxiety disorders may in fact prevent substance abuse in this population.
- Anthenelli, R. M., & Schuckit, M. A. (1993). Affective and anxiety disorders and alcohol and drug dependence: Diagnosis and treatment. Journal of Addictive Diseases, 12(3), 73–87.
- Burke, J. D., Burke, K. C., & Rae, D. S. (1994). Increased rates of drug abuse and dependence after onset of mood or anxiety disorders in adolescence. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 45(5), 451–455.
- Chamber, W. J., Puig-Antich, J., & Hirsch, M. (1985). The assessment of affective disorders in children and adolescents by semi-structured interview: Test-retest reliability of the schedule for affective disorders and schizophrenia for school-aged children, present-episode version. Archives of General Psychiatry, 42, 696–702.
- Christie, K. A., Burke, J. D., Regier, D. A., Rae, D. S., Boyd, J. H., & Locke, B. Z. (1988). Epidemiological evidence for early onset of mental disorders and higher risk of drug abuse in young adults. American Journal of Psychiatry, 145(8), 971–975.
- Clark, D. B., Jacob, R. G., & Mezzich, A. (1994). Anxiety and conduct disorders in early onset alcoholism. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 708, 181–186.
- Clark, D. B., Bukstein, O. G., Smith, M. G., Kaczynski, N. A., Mezzich, A. C., & Donovan, J. E. (1995). Identifying anxiety disorders in adolescents hospitalized for alcohol abuse or dependence. Psychiatric Services, 46(6), 618–620.
- DeMilio, L. (1989). Psychiatric syndromes in adolescent substance abusers. American Journal of Psychiatry, 146, 1212–1214.
- Greenbaum, P. E., Prange, M. E., Friedman, R. M., & Silver, S. E. (1991). Substance abuse prevalence and comorbidity with other psychiatric disorders among adolescents with severe emotional disturbances. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 30(4), 575–583.
- Helzer, J. E., & Pryzbeck, T. R. (1988). The co-occurrence of alcoholism with other psychiatric disorders in the general population and its impact on treatment. Journal of the Study of Alcohol, 49, 219–224.
- Kaminer, Y. (1991). The magnitude of concurrent psychiatric disorders in hospitalized substance abusing adolescents. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 22(2), 89–95.
- Kessler, R. D., McGonagle, K. A., Zhao, S., Nelson, C. B., Hughes, M., Eshleman, S., Wittchen, H., & Kendler, K. S. (1994). Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of DSM-III-R psychiatric disorders in the United States: Results from the national comorbidity survey. Archives of General Psychiatry, 51, 8–19.
- Kushner, M. G., Sher, K. J., & Beitman, B. D. (1990). The relation between alcohol problems and the anxiety disorders. American Journal of Psychiatry, 147(6), 685–695.
- Marshall, J. R. (1994). The diagnosis and treatment of social phobia and alcohol abuse. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic, 58(2, Suppl A), A58–A66.
- Schuckit, M. A. (1989). Drug and alcohol abuse: A clinical guide to diagnosis and treatment (3rd ed.). New York: Plenum Medical.
- Schuckit, M. A. (1990). Treatment of anxiety in patients who abuse alcohol and drugs. In R. Noyes, Jr., M. Roth, & G. D. Burrows, (Eds.), Handbook of anxiety. 4. The treatment of anxiety. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science.
- Spitzer, R. L., Williams, J. R., & Gibbon, M. (1987). Structured clinical interview for DSM-III-R. New York: New York State Psychiatric Institute.
- Stowell, R. (1991). Dual diagnosis issues. Psychiatric Annals, 21, 98–104.
- Weissman, M. (1988). Anxiety and alcoholism. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 49(10S), 17–19.
- Comorbid Substance Use and Anxiety Disorders in Adolescents
Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 139-148
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- substance abuse