Presupposition and Accommodation: Understanding the Stalnakerian Picture
- Mandy Simons
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper offers a critical analysis ofStalnaker's work on presupposition (Stalnaker1973, 1974, 1979, 1999, 2002). The paperexamines two definitions of speakerpresupposition offered by Stalnaker – the familiar common ground view, and the earlier,less familiar, dispositional account – and howStalnaker relates this notion to the linguisticphenomenon of presupposition. Special attentionis paid to Stalnaker's view of accommodation. Iargue that given Stalnaker’s views,accommodation is not rightly seen as driven bythe presuppositional requirements ofutterances, but only by the interests ofspeakers in eliminating perceived differencesamong presuppositions. I also consider therevisions which are needed either to thedefinition of speaker presupposition or to thedefinition of sentence presupposition in lightof the possibility of informativepresupposition. In the concluding section, Idiscuss the ways in which some recent accountsof context and speaker presupposition departfrom their Stalnakerian foundations.
- Atlas, J.D. and Levinson, S.C. (1981): ‘It-clefts, Informativeness and Logical Form: Radical Pragmatics (Revised Standard Version)’, in P. Cole (ed.), Radical Pragmatics, New York: Academic Press.
- Beaver, D. (1995): ‘Presupposition and Assertion in Dynamic Semantics’, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Edinburgh.
- Gauker, C. (1998): ‘What is a Context of Utterance?’ Philosophical Studies 91, 149-172.
- Grice, H.P. (1989): Studies in the Way of Words, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Groenendijk, J., Stokhof, M. and Veltman, F. (1996): ‘Coreference and Modality’, in S. Lapin (ed.), The Handbook of Contemporary Semantic Theory, Cambridge,MA: Blackwell.
- Heim, I. (1983): ‘On the Projection Problem for Presuppositions’, WCCFL 2.
- Heim, I. (1992): ‘Presupposition Projection and the Semantics of Attitude Verbs’, Journal of Semantics 9, 183-221.
- Kamp, H. (1981): ‘A Theory of Truth and Semantic Representation’, in J. Groenendijk, T. Janssen and Martin Stokhof (eds.), Truth, Representation and Information (=GRASS Series No. 2), Dordrecht.
- Kamp, H. and Reyle, U. (1993): From Discourse to Logic, Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Kempson, R. (1975): Presupposition and the Delimitation of Semantics, Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.
- Lewis, D. (1979): ‘Scorekeeping in a Language Game’, in R. Bäuerle et al. (eds.), Semantics from Different Points of View (pp. 172-187), Berlin: Springer. Also in Journal of Philosophical Logic 8, 339-359.
- Stalnaker, R. (1973): ‘Presuppositions’, Journal of Philosophical Logic 2, 447-457.
- Stalnaker, R. (1974): ‘Pragmatic Presuppositions’, in M.K. Munitz and P.K. Unger (eds.), Semantics and Philosophy, New York: New York University Press.
- Stalnaker, R. (1974): Inquiry, Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Stalnaker, R. (1978): ‘Assertion’, in P. Cole (ed.), Syntax and Semantics Vol. 9: Pragmatics, New York: Academic Press.
- Stalnaker, R. (1999): Context and Content, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Stalnaker, R. (2002): ‘Common Ground’, Linguistics and Philosophy 25(5-6), 701-721.
- Von Fintel, K. (2000): ‘What is Presupposition Accommodation?’ MA: MIT Press.
- Wilson, D. (1975): Presuppositions and Non-Truth Conditional Semantics, New York: Academic Press.
- Zeevat, H. (1992): ‘Presupposition and Accommodation in Update Semantics’, Journal of Semantics 9, 379-412
- Presupposition and Accommodation: Understanding the Stalnakerian Picture
Volume 112, Issue 3 , pp 251-278
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Mandy Simons (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213-3890, USA, E-mail