Isolation and toxigenicity of Aspergillus fumigatus from moldy silage
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thirty-nine silage samples were collected from various siloson Terceira Island in the Azores. Samples were examined for the presence of total fungi, and isolates of Aspergillus fumigatus were analyzed for their ability to produce fumitremorgens B and C, fumigaclavines B and C, and gliotoxin. Thirty-four silage samples (87%) were contaminated with fungi, and A. fumigatus was isolated from 27 samples (69%). Samples that were taken from the surface of silos had significantly higher populations of both total fungi and A. fumigatus than did samples taken from the middle of silos. Analysis of 27 A. fumigatus isolates (one representing each positive sample) showed that 59.3% produced fumitremorgen B; 33.3% produced fumitremorgen C; 29.6% produced fumigaclavine B; 7.4% produced fumigaclavine C; and 11.1% produced gliotoxin. Fifty-two percent of the isolates produced multiple toxins, and 25.9% did not produce any of these toxins. Gliotoxin and fumigaclavine C were always produced in combination with other toxins. Because of the demonstrated potential of these A. fumigatus isolates to producemycotoxins, it is important to properly construct and manage silos to prevent their contamination with A. fumigatus.
- Seglar B. Ruminant disorders associated with pathogens found within ensiled forages. The Bovine Proceedings 1999; 32: 54–60.
- Betina V. Mycotoxins: Chemical and environmental aspects of toxigenic fungi and their toxins. In: Betina V, ed. Bioactive Molecules IX. Amsterdam/Oxford/New York/Tokyo: Elsevier, 1989; 94–113.
- Coulombe RA. Symposium: Biological action of mycotoxins. J Dairy Sci 1993; 76: 880–891.
- Dutkiewicz J, Olenchock SA, Sorenson WG, Gerencser VF, May JJ, Pratt DS, Robinson VA. Levels of bacteria, fungi, and endotoxin in bulk and aerosol corn silage. Appl Environ Microbiol 1989; 55: 1093–1099.
- Land CJ, Lundstrom H, Werner S. Production of tremorgenic mycotoxins by isolates of Aspergillus fumigatus from sawmills in Sweden. Mycopathologia 1993; 124: 87–93.
- Moreau C. Moulds, Toxins and Food. Chischester/New York/Brisbane/Toronto: John Wiley & Sons, 1979.
- Belkacemi L, Barton RC, Hopwood V, Evans EG. Determination of optimum growth conditions for gliotoxin production by Aspergillus fumigatus and development of a novel method for gliotoxin detection. Med Mycol 1999; 37: 227–233.
- Yamada A, Kataoka T, Nagai K. The fungal metabolite gliotoxin: Immunosuppressive activity on CTL-mediated cytotoxicity. Immunol Lett 2000; 71: 27–32.
- Cole RJ, Kirksey JW, Dorner JW, Wilson DM, Johnson JC, Jr., Johnson AN, Bedell DM, Springer JP, Chexal KK, Clardy JC, Cox RH. Mycotoxins produced by Aspergillus fumigatus species isolated from molded silage. J Agric Food Chem 1977; 25: 826–830.
- Beuchat LR. Media for detecting and enumerating yeasts and moulds. Int J Food Microbiol 1992; 17: 145–158.
- Horn BW, Dorner JW. Soil populations of Aspergillus species from section Flavi along a transect though peanut-growing regions of the United States. Mycologia 1998; 90: 767–776.
- Horn BW, Dorner JW, Greene RL, Blankenship PD, Cole RJ. Effect of Aspergillus parasiticus soil inoculum on invasion of peanut seeds. Mycopathologia 1994; 125: 179–191.
- Woolford MK. Silage Fermentation. New York: Marcel Decker, 1984.
- Pelhate J. Maize silage: Incidence of moulds during conservation. Folia Vet Lat 1977; 7: 1–16.
- Inglis GD, Yanke LJ, Kawchuk LM, McAllister TA. The influence of bacterial inoculants on the microbial ecology of aerobic spoilage of barley silage. Can J Microbiol 1999; 45: 77–87.
- Hollinger K, Ekperingin, HE. Mycotoxicosis in food producing animals. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 1999; 15: 133–165.
- Fink-Gremmels J, Georgiou NA. Risk assessment of mycotoxins for the consumer. In: Enne G, Kuiper HA, Valentini A, eds. Residues of Veterinary Drugs and Mycotoxins in Animal Products. Proceedings of the First electronic Mail Conference. The Netherlands: Wageningen, 1996: 159–174.
- Isolation and toxigenicity of Aspergillus fumigatus from moldy silage
Volume 156, Issue 2 , pp 133-138
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Aspergillus fumigatus
- Industry Sectors