Health and Illness from an Islamic Perspective
- Majed A. Ashy
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Islamic understanding of the human self, its purpose and functions has a great effect on Muslims' understanding of themselves and on Islamic culture. Islamic psychology is a field that examines the Islamic perspective on health and illness and compares it to the Western perspective. The purpose of this paper is to introduce readers to the Islamic understanding of the self, its functions, and purpose, and to contrast it with Western theories about the self. It also aims at understanding Islamic definitions of health and illness and Islamic understanding of treatment.
- Al-Ahwani, A. (1964). Alkindus: The Philosopher of Arabs. Cairo: The Arabic Organization for Publishing.
- Al-Azmeri, I. (1963). The Arabic Philosopher: Al-Kindus. Bagdad: Asad Library.
- Al-Gazali (1977). Kimya-I-Sadat. Lahore: Sheikh Ghulam Ali and Sons Publishers.
- Al-Gesir, N. (1961). The Story of Faith in Philosophy, Science and The Quran. Beirut: The Islamic Office.
- Al-Hashim, J. (1968). Al-Faraby. Beirut: The Business Office for Publishing.
- Al-Maidani, (1992). Islamic Morality and Its Principles. Damascus: Dar Al-Qalam.
- Faroukh, O. (1972). The History of Arabic Thought. Beirut: Dar Al-Elm Lilmalaien.
- Khan, M.S. (1986). Islamic Medicine. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Madkor, I. (1962). Al-Gazali The Philosopher. Cairo: Al-Gazali Conference in Damascus.
- Marhaba, M. (1985). Al-Kindus, His Philosophy and Sadness. Beirut: Oidat.
- Mosa, M. (1982). The Quran and Philosophy. Cairo: Dar Al-Marif.
- Najar, R. (1979). Arabic Philosophy Through History. Beirut: New Dimensions.
- Najaty, M. (1982). The Quran and Psychology. Cairo: Dar Al-Shurook.
- Ibn Sina (1956). Kitab-Ul-Qalbiya. Calcutta: Iran Society.
- Rabie, M. (1993). The Psychological inheritage among Muslim Scientists. Alexandria: Dar Al-Marifa.
- Rayan, M. (1976). The History of Philosophical Thought in Islam. Beirut: Dar Al-Nahda Al-Arabia.
- Saliba, G. (1981). The History of Arabic Philosophy. Beirut: The Lebanese Book.
- Shah, M. (1966). The General Principles of Avicenna's of Canon of Medicine. Karachi: Naveed Clinic.
- The Holy Quran. Verses From The Quran. Jeddah: Dar Al-Haramine.
- Health and Illness from an Islamic Perspective
Journal of Religion and Health
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 241-258
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Majed A. Ashy (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Psychology Department of, Boston University, Boston, MA